cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #21
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

While it may be true that guard play could prevent BYU from reaching the Sweet 16, or even the NCAA Tourney for that matter,,,can someone please help explain to me why it's our Guards that have been playing great as of late?

I know Yewt "fans" loathe Austin Ainge, truth is, many BYU fans give him crap to, but his assist to turover ratio is 4 to 1. He's playing pretty damn good right now, and against teams with very good guards too. Since Broadus was kicked off the team, it seems to have actually improved team chemistry considerably.

Just a thought. Though Coach Rose has Tavernari playing the Power Forward position, he's really a 2 guard, he along with Mike Rose have been playing very well. It's nice to have 2 back breaking shooters on the same team.

For all the crap that Mike Rose has taken in his career he's turned out to be a pretty decent all around player. Even Coach Rose has said that after Lee Cummard, Rose is the best defender on the team. He's come a long way.

I still don't expect BYU to beat AFA or SDSU on the road, I'd even be surprised if they beat Wyoming on the road, but if they win 2 out of 3 of those, then win out the rest at home, I think they're a lock for the Tourney regardless of what happens in the MWC Tournament, where hopefully they won't go up against a McNamara like explosion....what that guy did to BYU,,,9 three pointers and 40+ something points was hard to watch.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:05 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Ainge looked a ton better than Broadus against UCLA. It doesn't surprise me that the team is doing better without Broadus.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #23
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
While it may be true that guard play could prevent BYU from reaching the Sweet 16, or even the NCAA Tourney for that matter,,,can someone please help explain to me why it's our Guards that have been playing great as of late?

I know Yewt "fans" loathe Austin Ainge, truth is, many BYU fans give him crap to, but his assist to turover ratio is 4 to 1. He's playing pretty damn good right now, and against teams with very good guards too. Since Broadus was kicked off the team, it seems to have actually improved team chemistry considerably.

Just a thought. Though Coach Rose has Tavernari playing the Power Forward position, he's really a 2 guard, he along with Mike Rose have been playing very well. It's nice to have 2 back breaking shooters on the same team.

For all the crap that Mike Rose has taken in his career he's turned out to be a pretty decent all around player. Even Coach Rose has said that after Lee Cummard, Rose is the best defender on the team. He's come a long way.

I still don't expect BYU to beat AFA or SDSU on the road, I'd even be surprised if they beat Wyoming on the road, but if they win 2 out of 3 of those, then win out the rest at home, I think they're a lock for the Tourney regardless of what happens in the MWC Tournament, where hopefully they won't go up against a McNamara like explosion....what that guy did to BYU,,,9 three pointers and 40+ something points was hard to watch.
Ainge is playing great right now. I am more optimistic than you are about the remaining road games. I see no reason why BYU should not go 2-2 in these final 4 games. This BYU team is either playing out of its head or is a much better team since the CSU loss.

Time will tell and heaven knows BYU hoops does this to us all, but I am emphatic that if BYU wins tomorrow, I become an unabashed homer for the rest of the season.

Something happened in that little choke job run that CSU had in Fort Collins that seems to have caught these kids attention and focus. BYU has not played this well over a two week stretch in years.

Also Tavernari is not a shooting guard. He can shoot from the outside but he does not penetrate. He is a perfect wing forward in my book. Decent ball handling skills that should in time translate into a good ability to feed the post, limited penetration skills, good perimeter rebounder and very skilled at draining the long ball, or so I have been told.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

T. seems to have great body control. He is not blazing fast, but he knows what to do with his body and the ball when he drives in. He's shown a wide variety of shots while around the basket, driving.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #25
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
T. seems to have great body control. He is not blazing fast, but he knows what to do with his body and the ball when he drives in. He's shown a wide variety of shots while around the basket, driving.
He's played the 4 this year. Rose has given him a few minutes at the 3, along side Keena and Trent. He has difficulty guarding perimeter players. It depends on matchups. With Lee, it's not out of the realm you can play Ainge, JT, Lee as your 1,2,3 but it's not ideal.

Rose always errors on the playing small side of what I tend to think, so I'm pretty sure JT will play a 4 in his career at BYU with the possibility of some 3.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

You are saying that T. can guard a 4?

I've watched just a bit on my slingbox, and that thought never occurred to me.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:00 PM   #27
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You are saying that T. can guard a 4?

I've watched just a bit on my slingbox, and that thought never occurred to me.
JT has 194 minutes this year, I'd guess 184 of them at least have been at the 4. Compared to Keena, he's the same height, doesn't have the hops, but has a wider, stronger body. He does an OK job defending 4's and probably has an easier time defending 4's than 3's. Cleve/Rose have continually gone smaller than what I became accustomed to with Arnold/Anderson/Reid, but it seems to work for them. I expect JT to stay at the 4.

The most frequent lineup I see Cougar fans predict for next year have Plaisted/Miles at the 4/5. I would be very surprised if it is not Plaisted/JT. First, Miles was never good enough as a frosh to expect him to become an immediate starter back off his mish. Second, JT's too good to keep out of the starting lineup next year and Lee's not going to move to a 2.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

where does Macgregor fit in all of this?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:50 PM   #29
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey MPfunk your wrong, Andre Miller never played in the MWC. Santos said the best backcourt in MWC history.

Oh and I think this team is pretty decent, i dont like our PG depth, Murdock is horrendous, if you are slow, white, and short, then the only reason you are playing college ball is because you can shoot, well Murdock cant do that, not sure why he is their, i talked to one of dixies coaches last year and he was shocked Murdock ended up playing D-1.

Keena is a nightmare matchup for most teams, he has the size and athleticism of a 3 or a 2, has the post moves of a 4 and can guard most 4s.

I think these next few games will tell the story, but confidence for this team should be sky high right now.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:16 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I don't seek you guys out to run rivalry smack. I don't go to your board. I don't start threads here cracking on you. I don't even post in the rivalry section here. I'm not about BYU's relative position vs the U. I'm about BYU. But if you come on a BYU board and talk smack, expect to get it returned. Seattle Ute was the one that started it last week, not me.

Mpfunk saying none of the four good BYU teams of the 2000's had what it takes to make a Sweet 16 run when teams like Bradley and George Mason make Sweet 16 runs, it's ridiculous. We just beat a ranked team by 27 points. We may not be top 16 but we clearly have what it takes to make a two game run. He backed it up with weak Andre Miller crap showing where his head is. It's weak rivalry smack. And if you bring it at me, whatever dude, good chance I'll bring it back.

By the way, do you really believe that BYU's guard play is worse than all 160 Sweet 16 teams of the past 10 years?
Well, with that attitude, I take back my apology.

No, I don't believe that BYU's guard play is worse than all 160 Sweet 16 teams in the last 10 years, but I do believe that a team needs good guard play in the post season to make a run in the tournament and the last 3 times BYU has been there, the guard play has been horrendous.

What makes me laugh the most is that you seem to honestly believe that Ute fans like myself and mp are talking crap about BYU because Utah basketball sucks. You seem to think that we're incapable of making some objective comments because we're Ute fans. Well, I'd argue that your little Andre Miller comment points to you as the one incapable of objectivity. BYU has had only guard in the same category as Miller and that was Austin Ainge's daddy. And what happened when Danny Ainge was at BYU? All the way to the Elite 8. So, do you still think good guard play isn't necessary?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote