cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default I don't get the lack of computer love for BYU BB

My favorite ranking for college football is the avg computer model ranking at http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

The basketball equivalent is

http://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

It's only updated through Sunday, but I don't get why they have BYU so low at #42. Sagarin has BYU at #48 updated through last night's games.

RPI has BYU at #23. We know that's a flawed, simple formula.

I have BYU at #28. I had them up in the 50's just a couple weeks ago, but after the wins over UNLV and AFA and road wins at Utah and Wyoming, they have shot up in my computer model.

One interesting comparison between my model and Sagarin.

Clemson 19-5 Sagarin SOS #34, Santos SOS #45
Southern Illinois Sagarin SOS #5, Santos SOS #6

Clemson has a slightly higher MOV, but not too significant.

I have Clemson ranked #20, Southern Illinois #10
Sagarin has Clemson #14, Southern Illinois #21
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I am not going to pretend to know the methodology of any of these rankings, but I think a ranking of high 30's to the mid to high 40's is about right for BYU right now.

I really think at this point AFA is proving themselves to be a paper tiger, and the conference is going to come down to UNLV and BYU. My gut says that BYU ends up winning it, and I really hate my gut right now.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not too excited about my gut either, but it has nothing to do with BYU BB.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I am not going to pretend to know the methodology of any of these rankings, but I think a ranking of high 30's to the mid to high 40's is about right for BYU right now.

I really think at this point AFA is proving themselves to be a paper tiger, and the conference is going to come down to UNLV and BYU. My gut says that BYU ends up winning it, and I really hate my gut right now.

Well this is strictly a computer methodology question. I tend to believe that about AFA, but the computer doesn't know whether they are a paper tiger or not.

Also, here is my theory on AFA, which also is my theory on some Roger Reid teams. Teams that are under-athetic and over-coached do damage earlier in the season, but over the length of the season undisiciplined, athletic teams get a little smarter and more disciplined so the edge the latter teams have on them dimishes.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post

I agree. BYU beats TCU, sweeps the homestand of CSU and UNM, goes on the road to lose a tough one in San Diego and then beats the Flyboys on their senior nite in Colorado Springs.

Then the Y comes home and secures the OCC in front of 24000 wholesome rowdies..well check that I am going so make that 23,999 wholesome rowdies and the mormon equivalent of Andrew Dice Clay, by beating Utah by about 25 in the Marriott Center.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Well this is strictly a computer methodology question. I tend to believe that about AFA, but the computer doesn't know whether they are a paper tiger or not.

Also, here is my theory on AFA, which also is my theory on some Roger Reid teams. Teams that are under-athetic and over-coached do damage earlier in the season, but over the length of the season undisiciplined, athletic teams get a little smarter and more disciplined so the edge the latter teams have on them dimishes.
I think that is actually a very solid theory. Here is another theory specific to this years AFA team. Bzdelik has the flyboys playing a more up-tempo style. AFA doesn't go very deep, and are not extremely athletic. I think they are a little worn out at this point.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it have anything to do with more recent results getting or not getting more weight than early season results?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Does it have anything to do with more recent results getting or not getting more weight than early season results?
Mine doesn't have that aspect. If other models did, it would only help BYU, I would think.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Mine doesn't have that aspect. If other models did, it would only help BYU, I would think.
I would only be speculating, but I would guess that your methodology is being affected less by extreme observations. Since, Sagarin is basically a least squares methodology (at least the MOV (predictor) component is), Lamar could end up being a very influential observation. I would think a rating system that took a quantile regression approach would rank BYU higher.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I would only be speculating, but I would guess that your methodology is being affected less by extreme observations. Since, Sagarin is basically a least squares methodology (at least the MOV (predictor) component is), Lamar could end up being a very influential observation. I would think a rating system that took a quantile regression approach would rank BYU higher.
I have no idea what you just said.