cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 02-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default my ward basketball team

We were the stake runner-ups two years ago. We were the stake champions last year. And now we are the doormat of the league. Okay, we are second to worst, or maybe third. We can beat the teams with the guys that wear jeans (not really, but they might as well be).

How have the mighty fallen.

We are one of those wards that gets a good many young professionals moving in and moving out. Right now, it's been a moving out time.

But I was happy last night, because I had an AK style blocked shot on my 3rd cousin. He was about 4 feet from the basket, and I was off-ball help and blocked it a foot or two above release.

Yes, I take the small victories. My hops are coming back a little. Pre-game I grabbed the back of the rim without too much difficulty.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
We were the stake runner-ups two years ago. We were the stake champions last year. And now we are the doormat of the league. Okay, we are second to worst, or maybe third. We can beat the teams with the guys that wear jeans (not really, but they might as well be).

We are one of those wards that gets a good many young professionals moving in and moving out. Right now, it's been a moving out time.

But I was happy last night, because I had an AK style blocked shot on my 3rd cousin. He was about 4 feet from the basket, and I was off-ball help and blocked it a foot or two above release.

Yes, I take the small victories. My hops are coming back a little. Pre-game I grabbed the back of the rim without too much difficulty.
The last three stakes I've lived in in Utah County over the past 15 years all have disbanded the adult basketball program. Bummer, before that we had a lot of fun, going to regionals in basketball and softball. But I'm too old for that stuff now.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

What is the back of the rim?

I can tell that I am starting to get old, because I have to exert myself in even getting to the rim for the first time since 7th grade.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I didn't even know our ward had a team. I am surprised danimal hasn't been playing. He has always played before.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
What is the back of the rim?

I can tell that I am starting to get old, because I have to exert myself in even getting to the rim for the first time since 7th grade.
I was coming from the side, so the part of the rim that is closest to the glass.

How tall are you? I'm 5'10" and I first touched the rim as a 9th grader. I don't know how tall I was then. Maybe 5'6" who knows.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I didn't even know our ward had a team. I am surprised danimal hasn't been playing. He has always played before.
We only had 4 players (okay, 5 if you include Br. Garcia, the 300lb high priest who mainly stayed on one end of the court).

So we could use a few more.

Next game is Thursday at 9pm.

A bunch of guys play pickup at the church at 7am on Saturdays. I'll be there tomorrow morning.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I was coming from the side, so the part of the rim that is closest to the glass.

How tall are you? I'm 5'10" and I first touched the rim as a 9th grader. I don't know how tall I was then. Maybe 5'6" who knows.
I am 6'5". I was about 5'11" in 7th grade. I don't have much hops left and I did not have a lot to begin with.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Back in the day, I could grab the rim with both hands. But I could never dunk for a couple of reasons 1) small hands and 2) two-foot jumper.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Back in the day, I could grab the rim with both hands. But I could never dunk for a couple of reasons 1) small hands and 2) two-foot jumper.
"Small hands"? Don't ever admit to that, Mike.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
"Small hands"? Don't ever admit to that, Mike.
I make up for that with a big nose and big feet.