cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I asked a simple question. Got only one simple, forthright response. The rest dissembling. Thanks a lot.
Seattle, you need to be more careful. You sound a lot like exUte in this thread.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
Seattle, you need to be more careful. You sound a lot like exUte in this thread.
LOL.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Why don't you tell me the good teams BYU has beaten since Danny Ainge and give me a bunch of data to support your conclusion.
You still haven't clarified what your criteria is.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You still haven't clarified what your criteria is.
Well he identified Utah as a good team through 2005, so you can start there. I know Reid was 12-12 with Majerus at one point. I'll bet our record in the 80's was about 50-50, so we have at least 20 or so "good wins" during the time period based on SU's criteria.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #15
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

I understood his question -why the vitriol? Answer his question!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #16
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume an underlying concept is this:
Since BYU hasn't won a tournament game in ages, and since many Cougar fans are clamoring that this is the year that will change, why should anyone outside of the BYU fan base believe the result will be different this time around? Therefore, in addition to postseason futility, have there been any saving graces during the regular season during the same timeframe?

SteelBlue provided a single answer. Others have refused to include wins over Utah in the same boat, so I guess OSU in '03 remains the lone exception.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #17
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Since BYU hasn't won a tournament game in ages, and since many Cougar fans are clamoring that this is the year that will change, why should anyone outside of the BYU fan base believe the result will be different this time around? Therefore, in addition to postseason futility, have there been any saving graces during the regular season during the same timeframe?

SteelBlue provided a single answer. Others have refused to include wins over Utah in the same boat, so I guess OSU in '03 remains the lone exception.
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say you guys only have a couple more weeks of this kind of smack, so go ahead and live it up.

On a serious note, I would maintain that what BYU has done this year is at least 10 times more significant to BYU's chances to win a tourney game than what they have done the previous five years, and about 1,000 times more important than what they've done prior to that. What they've done this year is an OOC MWC championship in a year there are three legit top 25(ish) teams.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #18
jay santos

Quote:

And of course that's where SU was going. So shame on anyone who took him seriously or chided those who didn't. If SU wants to crack on BYU fans or Mormons, that's fine. But BYU fans and Mormons shouldn't be dumb enough to play his set up man.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #19
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
And of course that's where SU was going. So shame on anyone who took him seriously or chided those who didn't. If SU wants to crack on BYU fans or Mormons, that's fine. But BYU fans and Mormons shouldn't be dumb enough to play his set up man.
I thought it was clever the way the inquiry was structured, so that wins over Utah, if admitted, would be the pinnacle. All hail the almighty red!
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #20
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought it was clever the way the inquiry was structured, so that wins over Utah, if admitted, would be the pinnacle. All hail the almighty red!
This is thread strikes me as a bit absurd in many ways. However, let me point out that at least by some measures the preceding implication isn't even true if we confine the analysis to teams that BYU has beaten from the state of Utah. At least in the last ten years, the best win against teams from the state of Utah (based on year-end computer rankings) was probably against Utah St. in 2000:

Code:
     +-------------------------------------------------------+
     | year   game        opponent   rank   scored   allowed |
     |-------------------------------------------------------|
124. | 2000     13         Utah St     31       82        73 |
140. | 2000     29            Utah     41       58        54 |
152. | 2001      8         Utah St     46       69        67 |
201. | 2002     25            Utah     48       63        61 |
262. | 2004     26            Utah     40       70        57 |
     +-------------------------------------------------------+
Sorry, Utah you can't even be BYU's best instate win in the last 10 years.

P.S

Of course, this reveals that BYU just didn't beat Utah in the last 10 years during seasons when Utah was really good. Of course, I probably shouldn't even mention that fact since this thread really only deserves analysis like the above table.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote