cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 01:38 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Congrats...

Your team had a heckuva year. It deserves the outright title.

Now, for all that is good for the conference, go win a Tournament game, dangit.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:32 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand the Ute fans that think they have great players and a lousy coach.

Those players are not great. How many stiffs can you put on a court at the same time? Green, some fantastic player? Yikes.

Is he going to get faster before next year?

It's time to admit that the cupboard is bare. And that its Majerus' fault for being a cheater and getting the Utes under sanction.

While Giacoletti packs his belongings, Jabba the Hut rolls in the dough from ESPN.

Sorry, Giac, the world isn't fair. A cheater crippled you, then the fans stabbed you in the back, and then a bunch of sh*^%$ players turned on you.

But as they say in General Conference, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

Otherwise, good luck to the Utes in the future.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:57 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't understand the Ute fans that think they have great players and a lousy coach.

Those players are not great. How many stiffs can you put on a court at the same time? Green, some fantastic player? Yikes.

It's time to admit that the cupboard is bare. And that its Majerus' fault for being a cheater and getting the Utes under sanction.

While Giacoletti packs his belongings, Jabba the Hut rolls in the dough from ESPN.

Sorry, Giac, the world isn't fair. A cheater crippled you, then the fans stabbed you in the back, and then a bunch of sh*^%$ players turned on you.

But as they say in General Conference, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

You sound like me after Crowton got fired.

The only player on that team that was contacted by Majerus was.....I don't think anyone was. This was Giac's team. His players. His coaching. He was in over his head. Bogut made him better than he was.

I feel bad for him as a person, but no tears are shed now that he is outta there.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:01 AM   #4
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This was actually the first game this year I was able to see. I don't think we have great talent outside of Nevill who if coached properly ought to be a dominant college player. I do think, however, that we have better talent than the 10 wins show. I didn't think BYU's team today was more talented or if it was only marginally so.

As I said to those I was watching with about two minutes in, watching the two teams was a night a day difference. BYU plays disciplined defense and runs its sets on offense. Utah did neither of those things. Coaching, particularly on defense, makes such a huge difference at this level.

I was listening last week to Gary Williams (Mayland's coach) talk about the Duke team. Williams said that Duke lost its offensive firepower to the NBA last year and that, consequently, they had no choice but to work themselves into a GREAT defensive team, which in his opinion they had. This got me thinking. An "offensive" oriented or run and gun style coach can never work at Utah. Why? Because every is going to be the year when we don't have great offensive firepower. There will be years when NBA talent is in the system, but that won't be consistent. So the way you win is by being disciplined, playing great defense and doing the fundamental things right. This is the way you maximize what you have.

This is what many Utah fans who thought that Majerus could be easily replaced didn't understand. That Utah team I watched tonight did not have the makings of a great team, however, there is no reason even with the youth that we shouln't have won 20 games this years. There were so many things I observed in the game where players just did dumb things or things where it was obvious that no one have ever taught them the right way to do it. This is the reason Chris Hill was right to recognize his error at this point, rather than seeing a better more experienced team underachieve again next year.

As a coach, you have to maximize what your team can do. Giac failed to do that. It is not because the talent is horrible or anyone turned on him. He just didn't get the best ouf of what he had. I think there is reason to think this could be a much better team next year.

Last edited by UtahDan; 03-04-2007 at 04:06 AM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:06 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I don't know what you call "talent". I define it as basketball ability sufficient to win games.

And I know, without a doubt, that BYU has more basketball talent than Utah. Look at Young making the Utes look like they were playing in slow motion.

I'm just going to laugh when next year you guys are puzzled why you aren't ranked in the top 25.

The point about Majerus is that he cripped Giac's ability to recruit due to the recruiting restrictions.

But of course, you guys think that Giac recruited great talent.

I think it's interesting that Ute fans give credit to the players for all the good wins this year, and credit to the coach for every loss.

But on the other hand, I guess you have to credit the Utes for not turning on everyone. They very easily could have turned on the coach AND the players.

And having coached five games today, I can tell you that players don't always listen. Whether it be among deacons, college, or the NBA. I have a guy on my team who is convinced he is a good outside shooter. His shots freqently miss the rim and backboard by several feet. The announcers said that Giac did everything he could to try and get his guys to play defense. It takes heart to play defense. And those players didn't have any heart. "You knew what I was when you recruited me."

Last edited by MikeWaters; 03-04-2007 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:08 AM   #6
UtahDan

Quote:
I don't know what you call "talent". I define it as basketball ability sufficient to win games.

And I know, without a doubt, that BYU has more basketball talent than Utah. Look at Young making the Utes look like they were playing in slow motion.

I'm just going to laugh when next year you guys are puzzled why you aren't ranked in the top 25.

The point about Majerus is that he cripped Giac's ability to recruit due to the recruiting restrictions.

But of course, you guys think that Giac recruited great talent.

I think it's interesting that Ute fans give credit to the players for all the good wins this year, and credit to the coach for every loss.

But on the other hand, I guess you have to credit the Utes for not turning on everyone. They very easily could have turned on the coach AND the players.
Are you debating anyone in this thread or just the imaginary Ute fan in your head?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:11 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

mpfunk is the only ute fan I know. You other guys are fans, but you don't talk about the team. So it's basically a combination of mpfunk and the imaginary Ute fan in my head.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:13 AM   #8
UtahDan

Quote:
mpfunk is the only ute fan I know. You other guys are fans, but you don't talk about the team. So it's basically a combination of mpfunk and the imaginary Ute fan in my head.
I normally have a lot to say about hoops, but since our great TV contract I never get to see them any more.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:18 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I rarely debate any sport, unless it's baseball when I have a better than average chance at winning.

My take on the Ute hoop team is that it was Giac's team. Yes, Majerus' actions only allowed Giac to have 12 players on scholarship rather than 13, but the point is that Giac went after these players.

As for crediting wins and blaming losses this season, Giac really showed me nothing that hinted that he should get credit for the wins. Perhaps it was the assistants? The losses are on him and the players, but mostly him. His game plans, substitution patterns and game time adjustments were bizzare.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 AM   #10
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I rarely debate any sport, unless it's baseball when I have a better than average chance at winning.

My take on the Ute hoop team is that it was Giac's team. Yes, Majerus' actions only allowed Giac to have 12 players on scholarship rather than 13, but the point is that Giac went after these players.

As for crediting wins and blaming losses this season, Giac really showed me nothing that hinted that he should get credit for the wins. Perhaps it was the assistants? The losses are on him and the players, but mostly him. His game plans, substitution patterns and game time adjustments were bizzare.
Not only were the scholarships limited but as they talked tonight Giac was only allowed 6 visits. How can you recruit without making visits? Outside of Nevill and Dean who I think will be good I don't see to much to be impressed with on that team. But I doubt it will be too long before Utah is back on top. It's an attractive head coaching job IMO and I think they'll be able to land someone with nice credentials and turn things around within 2-3 seasons.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote