cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 03-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU is the only mid-major that is really a BCS

team in terms of size, support, etc.

I find it sad that we can't even throw our weight around in our own conference.

It's for this reason that I vote we leave the MWC now and go independent. And let the major conferences know that we would look at inclusion if they were interested.

It's high-time to get out of the MWC. We don't belong. We don't get any respect.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
team in terms of size, support, etc.

I find it sad that we can't even throw our weight around in our own conference.

It's for this reason that I vote we leave the MWC now and go independent. And let the major conferences know that we would look at inclusion if they were interested.

It's high-time to get out of the MWC. We don't belong. We don't get any respect.
It's the wierdness factor, as you know. Push the brethren off the board of trustees, insitute a faculty Bill of Rights that truly does mirror the federal Bill of Rights, get rid of required religion classes, raise money for a respectable endowment, raise tuition, make BYU self-financed (i.e., cut the purse strings from the mother church), and then maybe BYU will have a ghost of a chance at attracting interest from a major conference. Maybe this is worth a RICO suit from an alumnus.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

It would be funny if BYU just became a "BCS" school in football without being invited to a conference. Go Independent, schedule six Pac Ten teams, four Big 12 or Big Ten teams, add Utah and Hawaii to the schedule and call it good. You could hit all the recruiting hot spots. I would be willing to pay alot more for season tickets if we got some new teams in. I'm not sure how it would work in basketball.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Going independent would be the death knell for the program.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Going independent would be the death knell for the program.
Hardly.

We would probably end up with more exposure and more money in the money sports.

The real question would be the olympic sports. But since I don't care about those anyway, screw em.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Hardly.

We would probably end up with more exposure and more money in the money sports.

The real question would be the olympic sports. But since I don't care about those anyway, screw em.
Where would the more money and more exposure come from? Goodbye to any bowl affiliation...unless the 2 at large spots excite anyone and further more....goodbye to any BCS shot....even less of shot than before. You thought exposure with the MTN was bad? That's nothing.

BYU would be absolutely foolish to leave without a contract signed with a Major network first. And well...good luck on that ever happening. BYU is not Notre Dame

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 03-13-2007 at 10:52 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

When you mention a schedule of six Pac-10 schools and four Big 12 schools, I'm sure any of them would welcome BYU into their home, but how many of the teams who are consistently over .500 would be willing to travel to Provo?

I know that in the recent past BYU has managed to secure home and home series with Notre Dame and USC (of course at the time of scheduling, nobody knew USC would be ranked #1 both years), however has it become more difficult to draw big name programs to LES, in the age of the BCS?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:42 AM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
When you mention a schedule of six Pac-10 schools and four Big 12 schools, I'm sure any of them would welcome BYU into their home, but how many of the teams who are consistently over .500 would be willing to travel to Provo?

I know that in the recent past BYU has managed to secure home and home series with Notre Dame and USC (of course at the time of scheduling, nobody knew USC would be ranked #1 both years), however has it become more difficult to draw big name programs to LES, in the age of the BCS?
Mr. Ute4Ever, I'd like to say that is one great avatar. My favorite sketch is the one where he makes "donuts" by skeet shooting hamburger buns.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:52 AM   #9
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I think it would be tricky. You might not be able to get six every year. But you could probably get Big Ten schools like Indiana, Illinois, and Purdue to fill in when necessary. BIG 12 schools like Kansas, Kansas St., Iowa St., Oklahoma St., Baylor, Colorado, and Texas A&M, would be easy to schedule.

Throw in some rare games with Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Michigan, Penn St., and Iowa. Don't get me wrong, I don't think BYU would go 10-2 with this type of schedule very often. I'd be thrilled with 8-4 or 9-3 and have them play some new blood. It's hard to get excited about Wyoming or Colorado St.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:41 AM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Scheduling in football is not a problem. BYU could build a schedule as difficult as it wanted. It might be a problem to schedule in November and late October, but not early in the season.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote