cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 02:20 AM   #11
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
When you mention a schedule of six Pac-10 schools and four Big 12 schools, I'm sure any of them would welcome BYU into their home, but how many of the teams who are consistently over .500 would be willing to travel to Provo?

I know that in the recent past BYU has managed to secure home and home series with Notre Dame and USC (of course at the time of scheduling, nobody knew USC would be ranked #1 both years), however has it become more difficult to draw big name programs to LES, in the age of the BCS?
BYU hasn't had much, if any difficulty scheduling PAC-10 teams, Big 12 schools on the other hand are an entirely different matter.

Nebraska backed out on an agreed deal to play BYU in the BCA Classic because the game was scheduled to take place at LES, so Tulane ended up taking their spot.

Oklahoma in the past couple of years also backed out on a home and home deal.

Texas A&M is the only Big 12 school I can think of that's been to LES in the past 20 years....Texas came in the late 80's.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:25 AM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Texas came in the late 80's.
That was 88-89, my freshman year. We demolished Texas with Sean Covey at the helm.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:48 AM   #13
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

That was a bad Texas team. The only player I remember from then is Eric Metcalf.

I wish going independent were feasible. It would be cool to play against opponents all over the country all season long instead of going to stadiums where you are a rivalry game. A rivalry that you are unaware exists.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:54 AM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
That was 88-89, my freshman year. We demolished Texas with Sean Covey at the helm.
I was in grad school at Texas at the time. It was awesome.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:55 AM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I remember that 47-6 thrashing. First or 2nd play from scrimmage a long bomb for a touchdown.

If I recall the year before or after we beat them down in Texas 22-17.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's for this reason that I vote we leave the MWC now and go independent.
How many successful independent programs are there right now?

How many successful independents were there 25 years ago versus now?

Why did that number shrink?

When you come back with answers to those questions, you'll see why BYU going independent is like strapping yourself to the railroad tracks. Sure, you might get away with it for awhile, but eventually that train's gonna come.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

What are the consequences of being in a conference with no media exposure?

That, my friend, is tying yourself to the railroad tracks.

Even if the mtn gets national distribution on the most expensive tier of the satellites, we will still have a LOT LESS exposure than we did before.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What are the consequences of being in a conference with no media exposure?

That, my friend, is tying yourself to the railroad tracks.

Even if the mtn gets national distribution on the most expensive tier of the satellites, we will still have a LOT LESS exposure than we did before.
1. So if BYU goes independent, what are the odds they get an attractive TV deal with someone?

2. If BYU goes independent and has 3 straight losing seasons again, what happens to that TV contract?

3. If BYU goes independent and has 3 straight losing seasons again, what happens to their shared bowl revenue? Shared NCAA tournament revenue?

4. Will BYU be able to adequately fill their home game scheduling needs (both in quality and number of opponents)?

5. Certainly with the lack of guarantees represented by #s 1 to 4, what makes you think the Board of Trustees will consider this a justifiable risk to take going independent?

P.S. You didn't really answer my questions earlier, so why don't you answer those first before answering these newer questions.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
1. So if BYU goes independent, what are the odds they get an attractive TV deal with someone?
decent. this would have to be a done deal before going independent.

Quote:
2. If BYU goes independent and has 3 straight losing seasons again, what happens to that TV contract?
very unlikely. but it's a risk you have to be willing to take.
Quote:
3. If BYU goes independent and has 3 straight losing seasons again, what happens to their shared bowl revenue? Shared NCAA tournament revenue?
Again, does one want govt. welfare, or does one want to go for the big-time? Chicken littles never succeed.

Quote:
4. Will BYU be able to adequately fill their home game scheduling needs (both in quality and number of opponents)?
Yes.

Quote:
5. Certainly with the lack of guarantees represented by #s 1 to 4, what makes you think the Board of Trustees will consider this a justifiable risk to take going independent?
Due to the financial backing of big boosters.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #20
Indy Coug

You didn't answer my 3 original questions. There used to be a substantial group of quality independent football programs (eg. Penn State). Now, there are only 4; one of which is independent because the Big East kicked them out for sucking forever (Temple). What happened to all the rest? If independence is such a viable form of existence, why is it virtually extinct?

Notre Dame is unlike any other program with their own TV contract on a major network. There are probably only a couple of programs with a fanbase that can even approach Notre Dame's.

Army and Navy aren't exactly a shining success that would lure BYU into independence.

It seems to me that your primary modus operandi (sports, political, etc.) is that if the status quo isn't satisfactory then ANY change is going to be an improvement. That just isn't logical. I have yet to see anyone put together a solid business case why BYU going independent presents a high probability of success.