cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Next Year

I was banking on Fredette at point guard until I saw his video clip.

My new take:

5: Plaisted--he's a college 5, let's stop right now with the idea of moving him to the 4 or benching him. This year he didn't make much of a leap on his frosh year, but he's a solid MWC center. I expect at least some improvement. He should be one of the best three centers in the league next year. 15 ppg, 7 rpg

4: Tavernari. Rose (and Cleve's) system is to go shorter than BYU fans are accustomed to. My guess is that Tavernari will play the 4 for Rose his entire career. I expect Tavernari to be a solid starter next year. His per minute pts were highest on the team but you may not know his per minute rebounds were highest on the team. He's a crafty defender. 14 ppg, 6 rpg

3. Cummard. He won't overnight develop into a go to guy on offense. I believe his progress on offense will be much slower than BYU fans are hoping for. He'll crack 10 pts a game but not by much. He'll continue to do the little things and develop a little more as a leader. 11 ppg, 6 rpg

2. Burgess/Fredette. Burgess will start at the beginning of the year. Fredette will come on over the course of the year and either take over the starting role or get more minutes in a back up role. Burgess' hustle and sneaky good 3 pt shooting (48% this year but few would know it) may help him stave off Fredette. They will provide similar numbers as Balderson and Rose combined this year: 13 ppg, 4.5 rpg

Depth: Otero getting the next most minutes backing up the 3 and 4, playing a lot like Cummard but with more muscle and not as good a shot. Vuk/Miles (pending redshirt) back up Plaisted but only play enough to give Trent a breather or cover foul trouble.

Up until now: this team is only a half step behind this year's team, with an improved Tavernari, Plaisted, and Cummard picking up Keena's slack and Otero as a nice find providing depth.

1. Here's the problem. I was banking on Fredette, but I just don't think he's the man. I know what Murdock can do. I'm not impressed with Morgan's JC numbers. Rose is still after another JC point guard. I'm going to say it's a 1/3 chance any of those three could emerge as the starter and a 1/10 chance that starter will be 90% the player AA was this year.

Throw in the point guard deficiency and this team now is a couple steps behind this year. I see us avg to middle upper MWC, 20 wins, and NIT.

I'd like Rose to spend the offseason thinking how he can bring back the Schroyer D that was so successful for a few years. Then maybe if Tyler Haws could graduate a year early, we'll be good to go in the near future.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:13 AM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Otero starts at the 3 and Cummard starts at the 2.

I also see Burgess playing some point next year. You said Otero is like Cummard but bigger and a not as good of a shot. He shot 64% from the floor this year playing the 2/3. He was also his conferences defensive player of the year. I expect big things out of him.

Cummard is a good ball handler and will be fine at the 2. This makes us a little bigger, with Plaisted at the 5, Tav at the 4, Otero at the 3, Cummard at the 2 and TBD at the 1.

If Murdock starts at the point next year, we win 15 games tops. He is worse than Terry Nashif.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:46 AM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Coach Rose has stated twice in the past couple of weeks that they hope to sign 2 more JC players...one of them an inside post scorer and a wing player.

I think that means Rose plans on using Lamont Morgan and Ben Murdock as his point guards next season.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Coach Rose has stated twice in the past couple of weeks that they hope to sign 2 more JC players...one of them an inside post scorer and a wing player.

I think that means Rose plans on using Lamont Morgan and Ben Murdock as his point guards next season.
I've heard he's going after a post scorer and another point. Is it another point or a wing?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I've heard he's going after a post scorer and another point. Is it another point or a wing?
I don't know. He said specifically 2 different times in post game shows on KSL the past couple of weeks that he's going after a post scorer and a wing player.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default We are 1 player away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I was banking on Fredette at point guard until I saw his video clip.

My new take:

5: Plaisted--he's a college 5, let's stop right now with the idea of moving him to the 4 or benching him. This year he didn't make much of a leap on his frosh year, but he's a solid MWC center. I expect at least some improvement. He should be one of the best three centers in the league next year. 15 ppg, 7 rpg

4: Tavernari. Rose (and Cleve's) system is to go shorter than BYU fans are accustomed to. My guess is that Tavernari will play the 4 for Rose his entire career. I expect Tavernari to be a solid starter next year. His per minute pts were highest on the team but you may not know his per minute rebounds were highest on the team. He's a crafty defender. 14 ppg, 6 rpg

3. Cummard. He won't overnight develop into a go to guy on offense. I believe his progress on offense will be much slower than BYU fans are hoping for. He'll crack 10 pts a game but not by much. He'll continue to do the little things and develop a little more as a leader. 11 ppg, 6 rpg

2. Burgess/Fredette. Burgess will start at the beginning of the year. Fredette will come on over the course of the year and either take over the starting role or get more minutes in a back up role. Burgess' hustle and sneaky good 3 pt shooting (48% this year but few would know it) may help him stave off Fredette. They will provide similar numbers as Balderson and Rose combined this year: 13 ppg, 4.5 rpg

Depth: Otero getting the next most minutes backing up the 3 and 4, playing a lot like Cummard but with more muscle and not as good a shot. Vuk/Miles (pending redshirt) back up Plaisted but only play enough to give Trent a breather or cover foul trouble.

Up until now: this team is only a half step behind this year's team, with an improved Tavernari, Plaisted, and Cummard picking up Keena's slack and Otero as a nice find providing depth.

1. Here's the problem. I was banking on Fredette, but I just don't think he's the man. I know what Murdock can do. I'm not impressed with Morgan's JC numbers. Rose is still after another JC point guard. I'm going to say it's a 1/3 chance any of those three could emerge as the starter and a 1/10 chance that starter will be 90% the player AA was this year.

Throw in the point guard deficiency and this team now is a couple steps behind this year. I see us avg to middle upper MWC, 20 wins, and NIT.

I'd like Rose to spend the offseason thinking how he can bring back the Schroyer D that was so successful for a few years. Then maybe if Tyler Haws could graduate a year early, we'll be good to go in the near future.
All we need is a ball pressuring point guard to have a great team. We will score at will next year with the guys coming back. I think we make the tournament either way. I doubt Morgan is the guy because he's not very big.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:12 AM   #7
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
All we need is a ball pressuring point guard to have a great team. We will score at will next year with the guys coming back. I think we make the tournament either way. I doubt Morgan is the guy because he's not very big.
Tell that to Derek Lavender.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:16 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I read something disturbing about Jimmer. His AAU coach said basically if Jimmer can learn to take the ball to the rim, he can be really good.

What the???? If taking the ball to the rim isn't part of your repertoire, that is not a good sign.

Maybe Jimmer is going to be like Mike Rose. Good spot up shooter. I certainly hope he is much much better than that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:40 AM   #9
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP

I'd take another Mike Rose
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:59 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If Jimmer wasn't a starter by his senior year, I think I am safe in saying it would be a disappointment.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote