cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 05:44 AM   #11
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
I'd take another Mike Rose
Mike improved tremendously during his time at BYU, especially defensively. A tribute to him and the coaching staff.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I think Otero starts at the 3 and Cummard starts at the 2.

I also see Burgess playing some point next year. You said Otero is like Cummard but bigger and a not as good of a shot. He shot 64% from the floor this year playing the 2/3. He was also his conferences defensive player of the year. I expect big things out of him.

Cummard is a good ball handler and will be fine at the 2. This makes us a little bigger, with Plaisted at the 5, Tav at the 4, Otero at the 3, Cummard at the 2 and TBD at the 1.

If Murdock starts at the point next year, we win 15 games tops. He is worse than Terry Nashif.
I'd like to hear more on Otero. I'm impressed with that 64% number, but a lot of JC guys get gawdy shooting stats from fast breaks and garbage points. What little I've read on him said that his outside shooting was the weakness in his game and that's what he needs to work on to succeed at the next level. If he can shoot the 3, along with his apparent size and athleticism, he will be a great find.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'd like to hear more on Otero. I'm impressed with that 64% number, but a lot of JC guys get gawdy shooting stats from fast breaks and garbage points. What little I've read on him said that his outside shooting was the weakness in his game and that's what he needs to work on to succeed at the next level. If he can shoot the 3, along with his apparent size and athleticism, he will be a great find.
From what I've read his greatest strength is his defense. Supposedly he can drive and create his own shot as well.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.latinbasket.com/col/col.asp
Quote:
Jean Carlos Otero (6`7" G/F Miami Dade CC) has signed in the early period to get a scholarship at Brigham Young University, Otero is a talented and athletic swingman, he has been member of the young National Teams and played most of 50 international games.
Jean Carlos Otero (6`7" G/F Miami Dade CC) has signed in the early period to get a scholarship at Brigham Young University, Otero is a talented and athletic swingman, he has been member of the young National Teams and played most of 50 international games.
In his first year at MDC otero averaged 10 PPG and 7 RPG, and was the main defensive player of the team always facing oposite`s best scorer, Otero is also very talented in the offensive and this year in the preseason he has averaged 16 PPG and 7 RPG , playing the small forward and shooting guard role.
Jean Otero (196-G/F-85)
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #15
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I read something disturbing about Jimmer. His AAU coach said basically if Jimmer can learn to take the ball to the rim, he can be really good.

What the???? If taking the ball to the rim isn't part of your repertoire, that is not a good sign.

Maybe Jimmer is going to be like Mike Rose. Good spot up shooter. I certainly hope he is much much better than that.
I have said numerous times that Jimmer Fredette will be good. Stop being dumb about it. The kid is going to finish his HS career as the 10th leading high school scorer in NY high school hoops history. He has numerous MVP's of various presigious NYC area summer tournies, such as two time Rumble in the Bronx MVP. The kid has proven his ability against the best of the best. I don't expect him to set the world on fire as a freshman, but there is no comparison between Jimmer and Mike Rose. Jimmer is a good athlete already, he rebounds and gets plent of assists as well as scoring. He was also an all sectional wide receiver his junior year of high school. Mike Rose was a 3 point shooter in HS and that was it. Such is not the case with Jimmer, he usually covered the opposing teams best perimeter player, he set up others and could develop his own shot.

I think a better comparison for Jimmer is Nate Call. That is the type of pg I expect him to be and with him not serving a mission he will be a good pg as a sophmore and probably compete for all conference as a junior and a senior.

I think a good JC PG pick up as capable as Broadus or Lemes would be a wise pick up for next year, but I really believe the future is Jimmer. Morgan may turn out to be a wasted scholarship, IMO. I am with those who are not really sure what Rose thought. I think asking Ben Murdock to return to walk on status might not be a real bad move.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

GN, have you seen footage of Jimmer? I think part of Santos' opinion is that highlight reel that showed the most staid, stagnant sort of basketball that we have ever seen. While that is not on Jimmer, it brought the question of how good the teams are up there.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #17
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default What else do we know about Otero?

Quote:

I also see Burgess playing some point next year. You said Otero is like Cummard but bigger and a not as good of a shot. He shot 64% from the floor this year playing the 2/3. He was also his conferences defensive player of the year. I expect big things out of him.

Cummard is a good ball handler and will be fine at the 2. This makes us a little bigger, with Plaisted at the 5, Tav at the 4, Otero at the 3, Cummard at the 2 and TBD at the 1.

If Murdock starts at the point next year, we win 15 games tops. He is worse than Terry Nashif.
It's good news if he was DPOY in that extremely athletic league. You get him, Cummard, Plaisted, and a quick PG on the floor and you start playing some serious pressure defense. That's a lot of long arms in the passing lanes.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #18
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Heaven help us if he is worse than Terry Nashif. I haven't seen enough to make a judgment. But the mere mention of the N word is enough to make me shudder.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:36 PM   #19
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
GN, have you seen footage of Jimmer? I think part of Santos' opinion is that highlight reel that showed the most staid, stagnant sort of basketball that we have ever seen. While that is not on Jimmer, it brought the question of how good the teams are up there.
As compared to ...

The same concerns were made about Carrol at USU -that was a major miss by both BYU and Utah
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #20
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
As compared to ...

The same concerns were made about Carrol at USU -that was a major miss by both BYU and Utah
Couple points on this.

1. Carrol at Evanston played against competition that actually looked superior to the competition level in the Jimmer video.

2. I wanted BYU to offer Carrol and I'm excited to land Jimmer at BYU. The issue is whether or not he can play point guard--a position that is dominated by guys shorter, blacker, and quicker than both Carrol and Jimmer.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote