cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Check out Jimmer Fredette video

http://cougarsportsline.blogspot.com/

After seeing him for the first time, here are some of my thoughts:

1. Has superior range on his shot. He has a couple of pet moves to get open shots off the dribble, but I'm not sure how effective those moves will be at the D1 level
2. Has a solid frame
3. Quickness may be an issue at the D1 level
4. Appears to only be able to go to his right and uses his right hand near the basket when he should be using his left.
5. The clips don't show him do anything but shoot, so it's unclear what kind of PG he'd be in terms of running the offense and creating scoring opportunities for others.
6. His shot is a little unusual, with a little lower release point. His elbow gets a little flared out which might create a little inconsistency in his shot. He gets off his shots relatively quickly without a lot of wind up or wasted motion.
7. It's hard to tell, but he may not have a lot of verticality to his game.
8. I have no idea what kind of defender he is

So based on what I've seen (which may not be fair since the clips don't show all facets of his game)

1. He doesn't look like our future PG
2. He looks like he'd be an excellent instant offense guy off the bench who could run off of screens or making teams pay for collapsing on Plaisted
3. I see him being the replacement for Mike Rose, not Austin Ainge or Rashaun Broadus.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

1. Has superior range on his shot. He has a couple of pet moves to get open shots off the dribble, but I'm not sure how effective those moves will be at the D1 level
2. Has a solid frame
4. Appears to only be able to go to his right and uses his right hand near the basket when he should be using his left.
5. The clips don't show him do anything but shoot, so it's unclear what kind of PG he'd be in terms of running the offense and creating scoring opportunities for others.
6. His shot is a little unusual, with a little lower release point. His elbow gets a little flared out which might create a little inconsistency in his shot. He gets off his shots relatively quickly without a lot of wind up or wasted motion.

So based on what I've seen (which may not be fair since the clips don't show all facets of his game)

2. He looks like he'd be an excellent instant offense guy off the bench who could run off of screens or making teams pay for collapsing on Plaisted
3. I see him being the replacement for Mike Rose, not Austin Ainge or Rashaun Broadus.
He's 6' 3" 190 -that size along with the ball handling and shot cannot be taught. His size, if he is able to put on some muscle, will allow him to get into the lane at the D1 level.

I hate to make comparisons but he looks and plays a lot like this guy who happens to be 6' 3" 210

http://www.nba.com/draft2005/profile...nWilliams.html
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
He's 6' 3" 190 -that size along with the ball handling and shot cannot be taught. His size, if he is able to put on some muscle, will allow him to get into the lane at the D1 level.

I hate to make comparisons but he looks and plays a lot like this guy who happens to be 6' 3" 210

http://www.nba.com/draft2005/profile...nWilliams.html
You must have access to a whole bunch of game film on Fredette that I haven't seen then.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Indy. I could see him playing the 2, or as a point scorer like Jason Terry (though their games are quite different).

If Fredette ends up being the same quality as Mike Rose, that will be a big disappointment.

One thing that sort of perplexes is me is the competition he is facing. Is New York that whitebread where he is? Hardly ever see a black player on the court. Let's face it, the competition is not all that and there isn't a lot of height on the court. Allowing all those dipsy-doo wrong-handed layups and 4 footers.

I assume that the fact he did well in AAU stuff indicates he can do well against better competition.

One of the real keys here is quickness. It's hard to tell how quick he is. And that will be important on defense especially.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

2. Has a solid frame

Indy with the critical analysis instead of the homer defense. I like it. Keep it up.

Check out the Tyler Haws video and compare it to the Jimmer video. Haws would probably start for BYU as a high school junior. We need this kid.

I'm not going to give up on Jimmer, but the video is a little condemning. Incredible shot, but questionable quickness and athleticism, and level of competition that is pretty much a joke. My 12 yo daughter could defend him better than that poor #14 in the second video.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Indy with the critical analysis instead of the homer defense. I like it. Keep it up.

Check out the Tyler Haws video and compare it to the Jimmer video. Haws would probably start for BYU as a high school junior. We need this kid.

I'm not going to give up on Jimmer, but the video is a little condemning. Incredible shot, but questionable quickness and athleticism, and level of competition that is pretty much a joke. My 12 yo daughter could defend him better than that poor #14 in the second video.
Tyler Haws is probably the most important recruit in the last 10 years, especially if he isn't going to go on a mission.

(I have zero clue about his mission plans)
Old 05-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
tooblue

Quote:
You must have access to a whole bunch of game film on Fredette that I haven't seen then.
My ridiculous comparison is equally ridiculous as your predictions, for we have seen the same game film

Why don't we withhold judgment until we see him play. Now of course we could consider the fact that a number of eastern schools have recruited heavily, namely Syracuse ... I think that's the best evidence to date as to his talent.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

How do you know the competition is so inferior to that of say Utah High school basketball? You're right, colleges all across America are flocking to the State of Utah for a chance to recruit Utah kids!
Old 05-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Utah basketball is inferior as well.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think Utah basketball is inferior as well.
Watch the Collinsworth video and the Haws video, then watch the Jimmer video. It doesn't take much of a trained eye to see that the first two are a significant step up past Jimmer's video in terms of competitiveness. My point is not that Utah basketball is all that great in the first place.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote