cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 06-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default playing pickup bball with girls

Was playing yesterday evening, and the gentlemen ballers asked the two girls that were shooting baskets if they wanted to play. So that we would have 10.

It was all fine. Except for one thing.

I don't know why, but one of the girls decided to set a pick on me. Of course the other girl didn't call out "pick", and I slammed into her pretty hard, hard enough that my elbow was hurting and I could hear her suck in air as she got popped in the stomach.

I'm not too big, I'm down to 170lb, but she probably weighs 90lb. I'm lucky I didn't hurt her.

Lesson: if you weigh half the amount as the person you are picking, be careful.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Was playing yesterday evening, and the gentlemen ballers asked the two girls that were shooting baskets if they wanted to play. So that we would have 10.

It was all fine. Except for one thing.

I don't know why, but one of the girls decided to set a pick on me. Of course the other girl didn't call out "pick", and I slammed into her pretty hard, hard enough that my elbow was hurting and I could hear her suck in air as she got popped in the stomach.

I'm not too big, I'm down to 170lb, but she probably weighs 90lb. I'm lucky I didn't hurt her.

Lesson: if you weigh half the amount as the person you are picking, be careful.
So in Texas you play pickup ball with girls, you wear jeans to the gym and then you run through picks at full speed set by girls.

Wow you guys are tough.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I played pickup ball with a girl a few months ago. Now, I was no superstar player, but I did start for a high school team. This girl guarded me and I was going to guard her. I decided that I would play, but play at about 50% on both sides of the ball. After she hit her first 3 jumpshots over me, I decided, 'holy crap', I better play tough or she is going to kill me. I can say that I got the better of her in that game, but I will also say that she played me as well as any of the other guys that guarded me.

I will also say that she had a killer back me down in the post move. I would not have minded it so much if I wasn't married.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

are you a midget Utestar, or was she a giant? I can't imagine most girls backing me down in the post.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
cougjunkie

The reason i think girls sports suck is do to a pickup basketball game i played at 24 hour fitness.

The girls were Erin Thorn (WNBA all-star) Ambrosia Anderson (MWC player of the year and WNBA player) and some other 6'4 chick that played in the WNBA.

It was me and two other kids that i didnt know, we were decent but not great.

We beat them 3 straight games to 15, and i dont think they scored more than 3 in any of those games.

I lost all of my respect for Womens athletics after that.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
So in Texas you play pickup ball with girls, you wear jeans to the gym and then you run through picks at full speed set by girls.

Wow you guys are tough.
The only time I run through picks full speed is when I don't see them coming. And then I get pissed at my teammate defender who didn't say anything.

We have a 300lb musclebound guy who plays, and you don't want to run into his picks fullspeed. He is a beast.

In Texas we play with some folks you may not be familiar with: they are called blacks. Or African-Americans.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
cougjunkie

Quote:
In Texas we play with some folks you may not be familiar with: they are called blacks. Or African-Americans.
You mean you touch the same sweaty ball that they touch? that is sick, the next thing you are going to tell me is they use the same drinking fountain and bathroom as you.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
You mean you touch the same sweaty ball that they touch? that is sick, the next thing you are going to tell me is they use the same drinking fountain and bathroom as you.
White boy basketball with the token fat, slow polynesian is fine for Utah. But let's not pretend it is Texas basketball.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
are you a midget Utestar, or was she a giant? I can't imagine most girls backing me down in the post.
Actually, 'backing me down' was not a correct phrase. She would turn her back to me to keep me from stealing the ball and then she try to back me up. And no, she did not have much success...but still a bit awkward. I am just under 6 feet, so I had her by a couple of inches. She basically did it to protect the ball and to be able to pitch it to or pass it to people cutting down the lane.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Actually, 'backing me down' was not a correct phrase. She would turn her back to me to keep me from stealing the ball and then she try to back me up. And no, she did not have much success...but still a bit awkward. I am just under 6 feet, so I had her by a couple of inches. She basically did it to protect the ball and to be able to pitch it to or pass it to people cutting down the lane.
as long as she doesn't feel a hard-on when she has her back to you, all is well.