cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
True. But most women who have had both, have said my condition hurts more.
They were humoring you, dear. That's what we do out of respect for men and their very fragile pride.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike trying to one up a mother is one I must hear.

It reminds of this past weekend, when a guy I was riding with described his ride in the Tour de Tucson, where he informed the rider behind, "hey, I'm 46 and it's mile 105 why don't you pull."

Response: "I'm 51."

"Well 20 years ago, I had cancer."

Response: "I have a pacemaker now."

"Well, I'm just getting over the flu".

Response: "I just had a blood clot."

"Well, I'll pull."
Old 01-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Mike trying to one up a mother is one I must hear.

It reminds of this past weekend, when a guy I was riding with described his ride in the Tour de Tucson, where he informed the rider behind, "hey, I'm 46 and it's mile 105 why don't you pull."

Response: "I'm 51."

"Well 20 years ago, I had cancer."

Response: "I have a pacemaker now."

"Well, I'm just getting over the flu".

Response: "I just had a blood clot."
See? Exactly what I mean. Men. Whiners.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #14
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
They were humoring you, dear. That's what we do out of respect for men and their very fragile pride.
I've seen birth four times, and no, I wouldn't undergo that for anything.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #15
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Forget waterboarding. Just stick a vitamin partway down Khalid Sheikh Mohammed's throat.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This i got to hear.

Farrah, can you corroborate any of this?
Well, it is true that I have heard women say a kidney stone was more painful than childbirth. I don't know if they meant an unmedicated childbirth though.
He didn't have to endure the pain for almost a week while taking care of a family, that's for sure.

Also, whatever they doped him up on made him mean and very belligerent.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Besides taking a few in the gnads, I have experienced two kinds of pretty extreme pain:

1. nephrolithiasis
2. fractured olecranon

Regarding #1, my best description of it is this: Someone takes a steel-toed boot and kicks you in the balls. You know that initial wave of excruciating pain? Well imagine it not going away. And just staying and staying and staying.

Regarding #2: I think it's the contrast that is the killer. Because you are in very little pain, but when the joint moves it is excruciatingly sharp pain. Bone on bone is bad, bad, bad pain. You know when you break a green stick, and you have to twist and twist to get it apart? I think that's a good analogy to a broken joint that is forced to move.

There is some debate about whether nephrolithiasis is more painful than childbirth. Who knows what the real answer is, but there are certainly women who have had both, and claim that nephrolithiasis is worse.

#3 is was watching my wife give birth. I should have stayed at the head of the bed. Now I have PTSD-like symptoms. It is terrible anguish.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
Besides taking a few in the gnads, I have experienced two kinds of pretty extreme pain:

1. nephrolithiasis
2. fractured olecranon

Regarding #1, my best description of it is this: Someone takes a steel-toed boot and kicks you in the balls. You know that initial wave of excruciating pain? Well imagine it not going away. And just staying and staying and staying.

Regarding #2: I think it's the contrast that is the killer. Because you are in very little pain, but when the joint moves it is excruciatingly sharp pain. Bone on bone is bad, bad, bad pain. You know when you break a green stick, and you have to twist and twist to get it apart? I think that's a good analogy to a broken joint that is forced to move.

There is some debate about whether nephrolithiasis is more painful than childbirth. Who knows what the real answer is, but there are certainly women who have had both, and claim that nephrolithiasis is worse.

#3 is was watching my wife give birth. I should have stayed at the head of the bed. Now I have PTSD-like symptoms. It is terrible anguish.
Well I won't claim to have suffered more than an unmedicated childbirth, no sir.

However, i can think of a few which were painful.

1. Rolled a car, fracturing my ribs and deflating my lung. As a result, to re-inflate my lungs, surgeon cuts your skin and then your unanesthetized lung tissue. I remember finding that very painful. I still remember my lung tissue screaming at the top of my lungs. Oh wait, was that me?

2. Having dentist drill without painkiller having believed it was anesthetized, with blood spurting everywhere.

3. Ruptured appendix was extremely exciting, vomiting blood everywhere, thinking I was dying as a young child, only to find out maybe I was.

4. Having just received my V section, allowing daughter to sit on lap only to kick me in the groin. Thereafter the next day, running two miles to prove a point. That sent shockwaves of pain.

5. Being hit in a rugby game by somebody 100 pounds heavier, blind-sided.

6. A personal favorite was being T-Boned by the car on the bike, flying thirty feet over the car, landing on head and neck, rolling another twenty feet, leaving skin all over the road. And then weeks of pain showering with the filleted skin.

Those are a few of my top six, although I'm certain I'm missing some. Being stabbed in a fight is not something I recommend either.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well I won't claim to have suffered more than an unmedicated childbirth, no sir.

However, i can think of a few which were painful.

1. Rolled a car, fracturing my ribs and deflating my lung. As a result, to re-inflate my lungs, surgeon cuts your skin and then your unanesthetized lung tissue. I remember finding that very painful. I still remember my lung tissue screaming at the top of my lungs. Oh wait, was that me?

2. Having dentist drill without painkiller having believed it was anesthetized, with blood spurting everywhere.

3. Ruptured appendix was extremely exciting, vomiting blood everywhere, thinking I was dying as a young child, only to find out maybe I was.

4. Having just received my V section, allowing daughter to sit on lap only to kick me in the groin. Thereafter the next day, running two miles to prove a point. That sent shockwaves of pain.

5. Being hit in a rugby game by somebody 100 pounds heavier, blind-sided.

6. A personal favorite was being T-Boned by the car on the bike, flying thirty feet over the car, landing on head and neck, rolling another twenty feet, leaving skin all over the road. And then weeks of pain showering with the filleted skin.

Those are a few of my top six, although I'm certain I'm missing some. Being stabbed in a fight is not something I recommend either.
None of these are considered worse than a kidney stone. Sorry.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #20
Archaea

Quote:
None of these are considered worse than a kidney stone. Sorry.
Well i've talked to women who've had both and they disagree with you.