cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Indy, I thought you're DNA link was well within the bounds of the forum (even though it happened before its creation). I think one could surround it with a discussion that was too polemical, but you didn't do that if I recall correctly.
Just to be clear, I didn't try to assert that the study proved anything specifically regarding Native American DNA other than to call into question the absolutist assertion others have made that the current absence of Middle Eastern genetic markers in mitochondrial DNA proves that the Book of Mormon is false.

To be even more succinct, mitochondrial DNA currently can't be relied upon to fully resolve the issue of Native American ancestries one way or the other.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Just to be clear, I didn't try to assert that the study proved anything specifically regarding Native American DNA other than to call into question the absolutist assertion others have made that the current absence of Middle Eastern genetic markers in mitochondrial DNA proves that the Book of Mormon is false.

To be even more succinct, mitochondrial DNA currently can't be relied upon to fully resolve the issue of Native American ancestries one way or the other.
100% agree with your conclusion. I think it is an important point and I think it typifies the kind of discussion that Arch is hoping to foster in this forum.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #13
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I would like to officially lodge my protest of this new category. I think splitting the religion category like this is a BAD idea. I think both categories will be worse than the original religion category.
Time will tell if this little experiment works. I'm frankly still fuzzy on what belongs where. In all likelihood, I'll probably just be replying to posts until I get a sense of what section a certain post belongs to.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Time will tell if this little experiment works. I'm frankly still fuzzy on what belongs where. In all likelihood, I'll probably just be replying to posts until I get a sense of what section a certain post belongs to.
My guess is that both forums will look virtually identical in a very short period of time.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
All-American

Quote:
My guess is that both forums will look virtually identical in a very short period of time.
The idea, I believe, is to foster a more favorable atmosphere to sharing religious/spiritual experiences in the Religion forum and reduce pissing matches in either forum. Again, time will tell.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #16
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

what if you read an academic work and you want to talk about it in a devotional manner? it strengthened your testimony?

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 08-02-2007 at 05:26 PM. Reason: afterthought
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The experiment might not work, but who knows. We can always combine the two categories again. It is hoped we can engender a little bit of civility through this division and Lebowski's objection is duly noted.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I would like to officially lodge my protest of this new category. I think splitting the religion category like this is a BAD idea. I think both categories will be worse than the original religion category.
What might be lost, so we can try to lessen or avoid the losses in your opinion?

Our hope was to allow sacred type experiences in the other forum, or apologia, and an intellectual or academic discussion here, to lessen acrimonious debates.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #19
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What might be lost, so we can try to lessen or avoid the losses in your opinion?

Our hope was to allow sacred type experiences in the other forum, or apologia, and an intellectual or academic discussion here, to lessen acrimonious debates.
So if Nibley wrote it, it should go in this forum; if Packer wrote it, it should go in the other. More or less. Right?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
So if Nibley wrote it, it should go in this forum; if Packer wrote it, it should go in the other. More or less. Right?
You be the judge. Nibley wrote a lot of apologia, and Packer would generally be considered a preacher, not a professor. Preaching and apologetics seem more appropriate in the other forum.