cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have going to posit something controversial

The Handbook of Instructions is the fifth standard work.

And ironically, kept hidden from rank and file members, to be interpreted and disseminated only through those appointed to do so.

Sound familiar?

In Joseph's time, instructions on how to run the church came from God, and were available to all Saints for their edification.

Not true anymore. The question is what parts of the above paragraph aren't true.

That's why that statement in the Handbook, apparently new to the most recent edition, that children who are part of a temple divorce are still sealed, bothers me. Is it revelation? Is it not? If not, why is it so direct. If it is, why isn't it public?

If the Lord is giving constant direction, why can't we say so, and open the books?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The Handbook of Instructions is the fifth standard work.

And ironically, kept hidden from rank and file members, to be interpreted and disseminated only through those appointed to do so.

Sound familiar?

In Joseph's time, instructions on how to run the church came from God, and were available to all Saints for their edification.

Not true anymore. The question is what parts of the above paragraph aren't true.

That's why that statement in the Handbook, apparently new to the most recent edition, that children who are part of a temple divorce are still sealed, bothers me. Is it revelation? Is it not? If not, why is it so direct. If it is, why isn't it public?

If the Lord is giving constant direction, why can't we say so, and open the books?
Might as well respond now and preempt the inevitable "well, Tex thinks ..." posts.

The average lay member cannot get a Book 1 of the Handbook, that's true. But there's a myriad of other books, Book 2 and others, that are widely available. The things not widely distributed pertain to a specific calling (or set of callings) for which they are necessary.

Also, distributing said Handbook to roughly 90,000 people isn't exactly keeping it "hidden." I also believe that leaders are permitted to Xerox specific pages (though not the entire thing, obviously) and provide them to members who have a legitmate interest or need respecting a specific policy.

Third, were all the revelations of Joseph Smith truly available? I think that's a pretty broad blanket statement that could easily be honed down.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe the handbook is like the sealed plates: something the general population is not ready for, but a select few 'in the know' have need to turn to occasionally.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Ok, I don't know when D&C became available. Point is that it was available.

I don't think the handbook has ever been available. And when it has been on the web in the past, the church has sued to have it removed.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
Tex

Quote:
Ok, I don't know when D&C became available. Point is that it was available.

I don't think the handbook has ever been available. And when it has been on the web in the past, the church has sued to have it removed.
If that's the point, then I guess I challenge the notion that the Handbook is canon. In fact, it was just recently revised. If at some point in the future it becomes canon, then you can expect to see it widely distributed.

By the way ... generally speaking, policies listed in the Handbook are based either strictly or loosely off scripture.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
If that's the point, then I guess I challenge the notion that the Handbook is canon. In fact, it was just recently revised. If at some point in the future it becomes canon, then you can expect to see it widely distributed.

By the way ... generally speaking, policies listed in the Handbook are based either strictly or loosely off scripture.
do you think it has potential to be canon. More to the point, if the handbook were never changed again, do you think it could become canon, equivalent to D&C?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
Tex

Quote:
do you think it has potential to be canon. More to the point, if the handbook were never changed again, do you think it could become canon, equivalent to D&C?
In my opinion? No. Most of what's in there is policy-related, based on doctrine, but not itself doctrine. I don't think we need Sunday School classes on which form to submit for realigning a ward's boundaries, or what age limit a singles ward should consist of.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
In my opinion? No. Most of what's in there is policy-related, based on doctrine, but not itself doctrine. I don't think we need Sunday School classes on which form to submit for realigning a ward's boundaries, or what age limit a singles ward should consist of.
what percent of the Handbooks is "thus saith the Lord" in your opinion?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #9
Tex

Quote:
what percent of the Handbooks is "thus saith the Lord" in your opinion?
Not sure what you mean by that. I believe it is inspired. Revelation, if you will. And it is certainly binding--it's the guidelines we are instructed to follow.

What exactly are you asking?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by that. I believe it is inspired. Revelation, if you will. And it is certainly binding--it's the guidelines we are instructed to follow.

What exactly are you asking?
I'm asking what % of the handbook is non policy boring stuff, and would actually belong in a D&C document.