cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, now I can make it switch. Switch your gaze to the shadow of the raised foot and then back up to the whole body after a few moments. It works for me every time.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #12
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Ok, now I can make it switch. Switch your gaze to the shadow of the raised foot and then back up to the whole body after a few moments. It works for me every time.
Yeah, that worked for me.

I'm a little bothered to learn that I am now right-brained. I'd always thought of myself as left-brained and heard that right-brained was more feminine (touchy feely). Has Mormonism turned me into some kind of girly-boy?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #13
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Right-brained versus left-brained is an interesting issue.

I think there are actually very few *truly* right-brained people in the world. I'm sure MW knows more about this than I do.

My understanding is that "left brained" is medically defined primarily by location of the speech centers in the brain, and that the ability to speak and understand language is almost always located in the left brain.

There are analogous regions on the right side of the brain that allow someone to speak with emotion and understand emotion during speech.

So if a person has a lesion in the speech center on the left side of the brain, then they would not be able to speak at all. If a person has a lesion in the analogous location on the right side of the brain, they would not be able to speak with any emotion. The same goes for understanding words, versus understanding emotion in words (different area, but same hemisphere as the speech center).

So being truly right brained is much more rare, if the definition is: the speech centers are found on the right side of the brain and the emotion-related center is on the left side.

Here's a quote from wikipedia (sorry BG, but you're not even here, so I don't care): "While 95% of right handers have their language functions in the left hemisphere, only 18.8% of left-handers have their language function lateralized in the right hemisphere. Additionally, 19.8% of left-handers even have bilateral language functions."

I thought it was even more rare to be truly "right brained" than wikipedia claims.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 10-17-2007 at 04:15 PM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post

I think there are actually very few *truly* right-brained people in the world. I'm sure MW knows more about this than I do.

My understanding is that "left brained" is medically defined primarily by location of the speech centers in the brain, and that the ability to speak and understand language is almost always located in the left brain.

There are analogous regions on the right side of the brain that allow someone to speak with emotion and understand emotion during speech.

So if a person has a lesion in the speech center on the left side of the brain, then they would not be able to speak at all. If a person has a lesion in the analogous location on the right side of the brain, they would not be able to speak with any emotion. The same goes for understanding words, versus understanding emotion in words (different area, but same hemisphere as the speech center).

So being truly right brained is much more rare, if the definition is: the speech centers are found on the right side of the brain and the emotion-related center is on the left side.

Here's a quote from wikipedia (sorry BG, but you're not even here, so I don't care): "While 95% of right handers have their language functions in the left hemisphere, only 18.8% of left-handers have their language function lateralized in the right hemisphere. Additionally, 19.8% of left-handers even have bilateral language functions."

I thought it was even more rare to be truly "right brained" than wikipedia claims.
Thank you SC for bringing me back to my left-brainedness. I almost went out and rented Bridges of Madison County.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #15
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post

Another article on this very issue:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ght-brain.html
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Who's to say? It IS what you see. Right, tooblue?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #17
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Who's to say? It IS what you see. Right, tooblue?
Indeed.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote