cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #21
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
My prejudice is in response to your prejudice. By the way the quote means a lot to people like me also.
So me posting an excellent article from James E. Faust constitutes "prejudice?"

Wow.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #22
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

This is why we have judges in the court system. You can't force people to be reasonable or to changed their own paradigms. Sometimes you just need a judge to tell one side they're right and the other they're wrong (or something in between).

I had a recent situation with another attorney who was flat-out wrong in his interpretation of the law. He could not be convinced otherwise. Even after the judge (correctly)hammered him, he was still not convinced he was wrong, but at least he couldnt' continue with his stupid arguments.

In other words, I don't think SIEQ or TooBlue are going to change each other's opinions, no matter how much they try.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
This is why we have judges in the court system. You can't force people to be reasonable or to changed their own paradigms. Sometimes you just need a judge to tell one side they're right and the other they're wrong (or something in between).

I had a recent situation with another attorney who was flat-out wrong in his interpretation of the law. He could not be convinced otherwise. Even after the judge (correctly)hammered him, he was still not convinced he was wrong, but at least he couldnt' continue with his stupid arguments.

In other words, I don't think SIEQ or TooBlue are going to change each other's opinions, no matter how much they try.
That's why all arguments should involve nothing but mathematics.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This is the role I fill here, and I'm happy to do it.

You're welcome.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #25
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You want to know what the funny thing is ... I really wanted to prop up SIEQ's quote and post as relevant and a means by which we can arrive at a more peaceful environment here in this forum. He took it as an attack. Therefore I obviously failed.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #26
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
So me posting an excellent article from James E. Faust constitutes "prejudice?"

Wow.
Now you want to deflect by making me appear to question Faust ... lol ... sophistry!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #27
Sassy in RS

Sassy in RS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now you want to deflect by making me appear to question Faust ... lol ... sophistry!
If you are trying to show us baffoonery, you are doing great. Sleepy posted some quotes from Elder Faust and you launched personal attacks.

Where do you get off?

Should we bow down to you, oh man who knows? Not.

Even here your honesty evaporates. Sleepy posted from Elder Faust, and you attacked him for doing so. He didn't say you were attacking Elder Faust. Quite simple, really.

Your calling his quoting Elder Faust ironic was beneath the respect christians should have for each other. With you that seems to be typical.

Myself, I am marking you as one who gets up divisions and who treats people with different views as inferior.

I am now reading Sleepy's post on Chieko. She's wonderful and people like you should pay more attention to her.

Last edited by Sassy in RS; 06-07-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Sassy in RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #28
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy in RS View Post
If you are trying to show us baffoonery, you are doing great. Sleepy posted some quotes from Elder Faust and you launched personal attacks.

Where do you get off?

Should we bow down to you, oh man who knows? Not.

Even here your honesty evaporates. Sleepy posted from Elder Faust, and you attacked him for doing so. He didn't say you were attacking Elder Faust. Quite simple, really.

Your calling his quoting Elder Faust ironic was beneath the respect christians should have for each other. With you that seems to be typical.

Myself, I am marking you as one who gets up divisions and who treats people with different views as inferior.

I am now reading Sleepy's post on Chieko. She's wonderful and people like you should pay more attention to her.
I did not launch a personal attack on anyone. My post was in support of SIEQ’s post. SIEQ overreacted to my comments and grossly misunderstood the tone of my thoughts. My words were prejudged before they were even read. He attacked me, unprovoked and now you insist on continuing the siege.

Furthermore, I have even suggested the quote SIEQ posted be used as a standard for this forum. The quote is an appeal for balance in one’s search for truth. And it is ironic that such a quote would appear in a forum where there is very little such balance. I have received support by MANY other posters on this board in response to my appeal for more balance in the religion forum.

The irony cited was not a means to denigrate SIEQ. His dislike of me prohibits him from reading my comments and seeing any value in them. Unfortunately you appear to be doing the same thing.

I have never used rude epitaphs to describe SIEQ or you. I have never questioned SIEQ’s or your intelligence. I have never personally attacked either one of you. I have only ever challenged your ideas and comments.

In contrast SIEQ or you has questioned my intelligence and called me a bafoon, jerk or worse vulgar language elsewhere. And yet I am told I am unchristian? And I am told that I should pay better attention to talks by church authorities?

Now whom is talking down to whom?

Last edited by tooblue; 06-07-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I liked the Faust article.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #30
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I did not launch a personal attack on anyone. My post was in support of SIEQ’s post. SIEQ overreacted to my comments and grossly misunderstood the tone of my thoughts. My words were prejudged before they were even read. He attacked me, unprovoked and now you insist on continuing the siege.

Furthermore, I have even suggested the quote SIEQ posted be used as a standard for this forum. The quote is an appeal for balance in one’s search for truth. And it is ironic that such a quote would appear in a forum where there is very little such balance. I have received support by MANY other posters on this board in response to my appeal for more balance in the religion forum.

The irony cited was not a means to denigrate SIEQ. His dislike of me prohibits him from reading my comments and seeing any value in them. Unfortunately you appear to be doing the same thing.

I have never used rude epitaphs to describe SIEQ or you. I have never questioned SIEQ’s or your intelligence. I have never personally attacked either one of you. I have only ever challenged your ideas and comments.

In contrast SIEQ or you has questioned my intelligence and called me a bafoon, jerk or worse vulgar language elsewhere. And yet I am told I am unchristian? And I am told that I better pay better attention to talks by church authorities?

Now whom is talking down to whom?
I know this guy is worthy of contempt, J, but he's not worth the effort.

He's your basic Internet jerk with a twist of holier-than-thou Mormon.

He might even be mentally deranged, as he is now claiming to have "supported my post."

The man talks of balance and has none. He pretends to know things about Marx and evolution, but just pulls stuff out of his backside. He makes appeals to logical fallacies (like, in his post above, to popularity). He constantly engages in double think, of which there is a beautiful example in his post above:

1. I've never attacked or denigrated you or your husband.

2. I am a better Christian than you because I haven't denigrated you, EVEN THOUGH I AM DOING IT RIGHT NOW AS I DECLARE HOW MUCH BETTER I AM THAN YOU. MOREOVER YOUR HUSBAND CAN'T READ WHAT I WRITE BECAUSE HE HATES ME SO MUCH AND NEITHER CAN YOU BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I'M DENEGRATING YOU.

He oozes contempt and prejudice with every post. Goodness, the jackass tries to proclaim himself a genius in his signature line (which is doubly amusing when you know that Marxist thought posits the notion of genius as bourgeois individualism). And then he puts forward his condescending interpretation of Elder Faust, applies it to the level of a forum (which Elder Faust does not do), and tries to pass that off as what Elder Faust actually said.

And now to you, TB:

When the Karma freight train hits, it's going to hurt you buddy.

I know your game and I'm not going to play it anymore. Take your smug condescencion elsewhere.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote