cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The New Jerusalem

It's sort of ironic....if you had asked me in 1990 that in 17 years the church would be starting an unprecedented building effort costing something like a billion dollars, I would have thought it would be the New Jerusalem.

And not a mall.

It's time to realize that SLC is something to be left behind.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's sort of ironic....if you had asked me in 1990 that in 17 years the church would be starting an unprecedented building effort costing something like a billion dollars, I would have thought it would be the New Jerusalem.

And not a mall.

It's time to realize that SLC is something to be left behind.
Seriously, this seems very strange to me. Spend $2 billion to attract heathens to Mecca, surrounding the sanctum sanctorum with all the glitz and latest trappings of popular Western culture--fancy hand bag shops, multi-plexes, sushi bars, bars. It sums up LDS culture's myriad contraditions. It actually reminds me of some ill-fated Soviet initiative in Siberia.

My vision for downtown Salt Lake: Erect high stone walls around it, fill it will huge, magnificent buildings (that even dwarf the temple) of awe inspiring beauty built to last the ages, cover their interiors with the finest frescos ever created by man, go all across the earth and buy up the greatest paintings and sculptures of the Rennaisance and the Classical and Enlightenment ages to cover the unfrescoed walls and fill the open spaces, and open all edifices to the public. Then the heathens will come, in droves, and they'll feel the spirit of God.

I should be running things down there.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
They already have Rocky Anderson, so your presence would be utterly redundant.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

No, they have better paintings than that. They will be hanging up Jim Christensen dwarf paintings.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Seriously, this seems very strange to me. Spend $2 billion to attract heathens to Mecca, surrounding the sanctum sanctorum with all the glitz and latest trappings of popular Western culture--fancy hand bag shops, multi-plexes, sushi bars, bars. It sums up LDS culture's myriad contraditions. It actually reminds me of some ill-fated Soviet initiative in Siberia.
You obviously have never had a really good plate of hamachi or maguro nigishi sushi. It's a spiritual experience.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No, they have better paintings than that. They will be hanging up Jim Christensen dwarf paintings.

LOL. Boy, how I despise his work.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'll vote for you, SU. I think you'd make a fine mouthpiece of the Lord.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:59 PM   #8
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has this been point of discussion around these parts?

I am shocked members are ok with this. What happens if the investment proves insolvent? Why are we ok with a 2 billion plus investment in the things of Babylon? How does this protect the center of the church? I really think SU has a good idea.

Sushi bars, hot chicks with tattoos, girls wearing shoulderless shirts, condo living which attracts progressive couples and singles, all scream something other than what I think Brigham envisioned when he said, 'this is the place.'
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post

I am shocked members are ok with this. What happens if the investment proves insolvent? Why are we ok with a 2 billion plus investment in the things of Babylon? How does this protect the center of the church? I really think SU has a good idea.

Sushi bars, hot chicks with tattoos, girls wearing shoulderless shirts, condo living which attracts progressive couples and singles, all scream something other than what I think Brigham envisioned when he said, 'this is the place.'
Not being terribly familiar with the project, I hesitate to criticize too much.

I think some of us defer to our leaders, while maintaining private skepticism.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:15 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post

You're starting make it much more attractive.