cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat
Default Rimm

This is a stock that has been on my "watch list" for a while now. Very luckily, I finally took a position today, about 2 minutes after this news broke. RIMM has been killing it this year. ISRG is another stock that has been a juggernaut.

SAN FRANCISCO (Marketwatch) -- Shares of Research In Motion jumped more than 10% Tuesday afternoon on news that the company has secured a deal to sell its popular BlackBerry wireless device in China.

RIM issued a statement saying that it has signed a deal with Alcatel-Lucent to distribute the BlackBerry in China.

The company said the 8700 model will be the first version of the smart phone available to the Chinese market. The device is expected to become available later this year, though no specific date was given.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
This is a stock that has been on my "watch list" for a while now. Very luckily, I finally took a position today, about 2 minutes after this news broke. RIMM has been killing it this year. ISRG is another stock that has been a juggernaut.

SAN FRANCISCO (Marketwatch) -- Shares of Research In Motion jumped more than 10% Tuesday afternoon on news that the company has secured a deal to sell its popular BlackBerry wireless device in China.

RIM issued a statement saying that it has signed a deal with Alcatel-Lucent to distribute the BlackBerry in China.

The company said the 8700 model will be the first version of the smart phone available to the Chinese market. The device is expected to become available later this year, though no specific date was given.
I like to talk about stocks. RIMM may do well, but to my taste it seems like most of its rapid growth is in the past. China is good for raw numbers, but the margins won't be as high as its used to. A China play that I like is American Oriental Biosciences (AOB).

I may be too married to these companies, but I like some in the healthcare tech sector, such as Lifecell (LIFC) Its had a bit of a run, recently, but it'd be a good buy on dips, like one just the other day. Goatnapper will appreciate its new solutions for breast reconstruction surgery using pig skin (Strattice).

If you have some patience (at least a year or two) I find Orthovita (VITA) interesting in the low 3's. Fast growing company, but still in the red as they trial Cortoss. There is risk right now until Cortoss is approved by the FDA, application to FDA will be filed soon.

All of these ideas are worth exactly what you paid for them. Welcome any comments.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat
Default China

FXI - iShares FTSE/Xinhua China 25 Index Fund

This is my favorite China play. In fact, for any international plays in general I prefer to stick with ETF's.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote