cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 03:22 AM   #31
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

[QUOTE=hoyacoug]Now that I have your attention, would it be bad to invest all of your tithing money from every paycheck into an ING account or other safe savings account bearing 5% interest or so? You could make quite a bit of money on the interest over the course of a year, withdraw all of the money in December to pay tithing, and then pay tithing on the interest that had accrued.

I suppose the only question would be, does the church need the money immediately or would the money be of more value to the church immediately than it would be to me? I assume the church has hundreds of millions in cash reserves, if not more, and doesn't need my meager contribution right away. Then again, if everyone did it, it could put the church in a crunch.

We only need to account for tithing once a year. Does that mean we only need to pay once a year?"

Personally I pay on every check. I just know from my own personal experience that if I don't pay my tithing in a timely manner that really weird and bad things happen to me. I wish I were making that up, but I just don't mess with tithing karma anymore. I know, sounds strange, but those are my personal experiences.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:56 PM   #32
YardTime

YardTime

I wouldn't tell others what to do, but for me, I try to pay when I earn the money.....the firstlings of the flock so to speak.
YardTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #33
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

My understanding is that tithing is not 'due' until December of each year. If someone chooses to wait until then to pay their tithing then that is fine so long as it corresponds to their income for that year. Any interest accrued in the mean time would, of course, be included in that yearly income. Most just pay as they get paid because it is easier to do so or it does not occur to them to do otherwise.

Fast Offering should be paid every month.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #34
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
I need to weigh in on this one. As the financial clerk of my ward there are several people who pay yearly and personally I find it interesting when we do the tithing to take a huge deposit to the bank. We had one gentleman who was CEO of a company and when he retired they gave him the golden parachute. That was one one of those sundays where the tithing slips reached 6 figures.
I once processed a 600K tithing check when I was a clerk. As for the FMCoug family, we pay annually. We started doing it that way when I was self-employed and determining income before taxes were file was next to impossible. I've been told by more than one Bishop that annual is completely appropriate.

Last edited by FMCoug; 05-24-2006 at 04:18 PM.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote