cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default SU, you could have done better

but still a nice effort by Egan to complain about the lack of respect given Stegner.

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...ers-complaint/
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
but still a nice effort by Egan to complain about the lack of respect given Stegner.

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...ers-complaint/
Well, I think this column means the cultural elite has finally embraced him. Now he is a god everywhere except the state of his upbringing and collegiate education. He had Mormon friends, went to M.I.A., some sacrament meetings, but in the end felt like a fish out of water in Salt Lake valley, a feeling some of us from Utah can relate to. Still, the formative experience left its mark. He wrote volumes about Utah and the Mormons. And despite his estrangement from the culture he always applied his formidable genius and artistry to treat LDS culture with dignity and admiration. Ironically, he's virtually unrecognized in Utah though Utah could have claimed him as a son like Mississippi does Faulkner. We all know
why Utah disowned him, because if you're an artist and don't use your artistry to contribute to the myth, if you don't propagandize the de facto theocracy, you're an enemy. Well, Utah has forfeited Wallace Stegner, and it's a damn shame.

Thanks for the link. That was a beautiful tribute.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Levin

If the hope is that someday westerners will create a society to match the geography, then a related hope is that Utah will create a culture that appreciates the authors that turned the mountains and red rock into words, like Stegner and Abbey.

There are a few "rebels" at BYU: my Utah history professor assigned us only Abbey and Stegner. You're right about how Stegner wrote about Mormon history: with dignity, admiration, and artistry. Why can't we embrace him? Oh yeah, that's right: we fear honesty.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the reason why Stegner is so unknown, I would venture, is that he is probably rarely read in high school.

Most Americans do as much reading by the time they are 18 as they will do for the rest of the their lives.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
the reason why Stegner is so unknown, I would venture, is that he is probably rarely read in high school.

Most Americans do as much reading by the time they are 18 as they will do for the rest of the their lives.
You're talking about a subclass of people who don't know Faulkner or Hemingway either. They've heard of Shakespeare.

It's a different group Egan is talking about.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
You're talking about a subclass of people who don't know Faulkner or Hemingway either. They've heard of Shakespeare.

It's a different group Egan is talking about.
there are many educated people who don't read very much. Due to the demands of work and family. Not being included on the classics lists during high school contributes greatly to obscurity.

For example, I feel pretty comfortable talking about Willa Cather. Why? Because I had a high school teacher who forced us to read two of her books.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
there are many educated people who don't read very much. Due to the demands of work and family. Not being included on the classics lists during high school contributes greatly to obscurity.

For example, I feel pretty comfortable talking about Willa Cather. Why? Because I had a high school teacher who forced us to read two of her books.
One of Ours was a great book. I'm surprised they still encourage people to read her. We read Sinclair Lewis but not Willa Cather. Was One of Ours ever made into a movie?