cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default abortion and the right to life

Mother's life in danger
Mother has a right to life. If argued that fetus has the right to life, but it's presence will impede on mother's right to life, then there is a conflict. But it is a conflict of equal rights--i.e. both's right to life.

Rape
Rape means that the mother did not consent to be impregnated. The competing interests in this case are the fetus and its rights, and the rights of autonomy and emotional well-being of the mother. If the competing interests are the right to life and emotional well-being, certainly most would agree that the right to life wins the day. So to argue that abortion is permissible in this case is to say either 1) emotional well being trumps the right to life in some cases or 2) the fetus does not have a right to life. The fetus has less moral status.

The blurb I read about Brody says he considers the presence of brain activity to be the marker that indicates moral status to the fetus. I'm sure he makes arguments for this, though I have not read them. So I guess, he would be opposed to abortion in the case of rape, should brain activity be present.

Because the church permits abortion in cases of rape and incest, though it cautions about it, I think many members don't give it another thought. "This is how it should be. The church has spoken." I don't agree with this approach.

Many members will actually agree more with the Catholic position (life starts at conception, and moral status starts at conception). Some members will say that autonomy outweighs any possible moral status of the fetus. As far as I know, you can still be a temple-recommend carrying Mormon in either case.

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I think the church's "position" on abortion is no position at all. It's up to each member to sort it out for himself/herself.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Mother's life in danger
Mother has a right to life. If argued that fetus has the right to life, but it's presence will impede on mother's right to life, then there is a conflict. But it is a conflict of equal rights--i.e. both's right to life.

Rape
Rape means that the mother did not consent to be impregnated. The competing interests in this case are the fetus and its rights, and the rights of autonomy and emotional well-being of the mother. If the competing interests are the right to life and emotional well-being, certainly most would agree that the right to life wins the day. So to argue that abortion is permissible in this case is to say either 1) emotional well being trumps the right to life in some cases or 2) the fetus does not have a right to life. The fetus has less moral status.

The blurb I read about Brody says he considers the presence of brain activity to be the marker that indicates moral status to the fetus. I'm sure he makes arguments for this, though I have not read them. So I guess, he would be opposed to abortion in the case of rape, should brain activity be present.

Because the church permits abortion in cases of rape and incest, though it cautions about it, I think many members don't give it another thought. "This is how it should be. The church has spoken." I don't agree with this approach.

Many members will actually agree more with the Catholic position (life starts at conception, and moral status starts at conception). Some members will say that autonomy outweighs any possible moral status of the fetus. As far as I know, you can still be a temple-recommend carrying Mormon in either case.

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I think the church's "position" on abortion is no position at all. It's up to each member to sort it out for himself/herself.
Why won't abortion become extremely rare with the morning after pill? Are they hard to come by?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why won't abortion become extremely rare with the morning after pill? Are they hard to come by?
they're easier than obtaining an abortion.

the reason is people don't know they are pregnant often til they are at least a month along.

the person who is astute enough to use the morning after pill, is probably astute enough to use protection against disease, and to use contraception.

I don't know the exact figures, but I believe abortion is far and away more common among the poor and minorities. It's self-selected eugenics.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
they're easier than obtaining an abortion.

the reason is people don't know they are pregnant often til they are at least a month along.

the person who is astute enough to use the morning after pill, is probably astute enough to use protection against disease, and to use contraception.

I don't know the exact figures, but I believe abortion is far and away more common among the poor and minorities. It's self-selected eugenics.
I think you are right. Most unwanted pregnancies come as a surprise to someone who either thought they were protected or just weren't thinking.

I think the population of people who have a condom break or get carried away an immediately realize they for got protection, and then have the wherewithall to go seek out the morning after pill is remarkably small. I would be curious to know how many women PLAN on using that pill when they decided to have sex. Not saying I know, but it would be interesting.