cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proposition 8 and Romney

MY BiL, who lives in SoCal, is convinced that the Church's support of proposition 8 has everything to do with helping get McCain elected and encouraging Romney as a VP pick. MY BiL's thinking is that supporting prop 8 helps distance Romney from some of his mid-90s wishy-washiness on gay issues and sets the Church up to demonstrate that it is a values-voter powerhouse that rivals Dobson's organization.

What think ye?
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
MY BiL, who lives in SoCal, is convinced that the Church's support of proposition 8 has everything to do with helping get McCain elected and encouraging Romney as a VP pick. MY BiL's thinking is that supporting prop 8 helps distance Romney from some of his mid-90s wishy-washiness on gay issues and sets the Church up to demonstrate that it is a values-voter powerhouse that rivals Dobson's organization.

What think ye?
Ridiculous. Does your brother also believe that the Illuminati are alive and well and intent on destroying the Catholic Church and that the Masons control government, not to mention that the Rothschilds have the UN in a death grip?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

What think ye?
Yuck. Your BiL sounds like a real POS. Is his name DJ Ross?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

What think ye?
Conspiracy theorist.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Ridiculous. Does your brother also believe that the Illuminati are alive and well and intent on destroying the Catholic Church and that the Masons control government, not to mention that the Rothschilds have the UN in a death grip?
He has been known to quote the sequel to the National Treasure movie.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 08-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

What think ye?
The Church does absolutely nothing to help while Mitt is actually running for President....but now that he is totally out of the race, the Church jumps in full-bore and engages in lobbying, activism, and socially segregating behavior......to help McCain, no less.....in the extremely outside chance that Mitt also gets selected as the VP candidate.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The Church does absolutely nothing to help while Mitt is actually running for President....but now that he is totally out of the race, the Church jumps in full-bore and engages in lobbying, activism, and socially segregating behavior......to help McCain, no less.....in the extremely outside chance that Mitt also gets selected as the VP candidate.
He thinks the change of the guard at the top has something to do with this as well.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

The Church is doing in 2008 exactly what it did in 2000, when Romney was not a VP candidate. I don't know why some on here seem to think that things are different now the Pres. Monson is the Prophet. It's the same thing the Church did when Pres. Hinckley was the Prophet.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
He thinks the change of the guard at the top has something to do with this as well.
It is definitely possible, so I shouldnt come down too hard on the old boy....but it sounds a bit too MacGruber-ish.

The Church was already opposed to Prop 22 several years ago, so it would have been opposed to Prop 8 with or without a Romney VP slot at stake.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now that is funny.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote