cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I can't believe the number of people

now saying Utah is a better team than BYU and will beat BYU.

LOL. However, I am sure someone would like to back up their statements and since talking about wagering is allowed here, I am open to anyone wanting to send me a proposal via messages.

No points straight up, money held by a neutral party.

Of course the last time I did this it was on Utefans with a Ute fan last year. He never paid up of course.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Utah is a new team now that it has found a decent running back. All the talk of Utah having a losing season was founded upon the assumption that they didn't have a running game. They are undefeated when Mack runs over 100 yards.

BYU could very easily lose this game. I'm not sure I would take either side of the bet right now.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Utah is a new team now that it has found a decent running back. All the talk of Utah having a losing season was founded upon the assumption that they didn't have a running game. They are undefeated when Mack runs over 100 yards.

BYU could very easily lose this game. I'm not sure I would take either side of the bet right now.
Only BYU can beat BYU. Utah is better than they were after week 3, but they aren't as good as BYU.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

And I think Brian Johnson is coming back to prove himself as a decent QB. He's no All American (no pun intended), but he's had some respectable games.

I still think (hope) BYU takes them, but even when we thought they were going to have a dumpy year, I still said the BYU-Utah game is a total wild card.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Only BYU can beat BYU. Utah is better than they were after week 3, but they aren't as good as BYU.
Even if only BYU could beat BYU (which I don't believe), and IF Utah isn't as good as BYU (of which I am not certain right now), Utah has a remarkable ability to play up for the big game. You can usually give Utah about 7 to 10 points more than you would usually think to give them when determining the point spread against the Y.

BYU has to be MUCH better than Utah to feel safe the night before.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

After the TCU game, all the talk was that Air Force, Wyoming, and UNM were all better than Utah...since the weekend, that talk has quieted substantially...none of those teams was overly impressive in victory. Not to say the Utes were...but given the performance of others...it atleast makes some sense.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Utah has stabilized with its Qb and Rb. And Whit is good for specific games.

So, unless BYU gets better on offense, especially with its passing game, I'd almost predict a Ute victory, straight up. OTOH, we're a month away or so, and a lot can happen between now and then.

The Utes have played well since the opening first few games; well, there's always the UNLV debacle which boggles my mind. But that was before the Qb issue was settled, so perhaps that explains it.

Utah is the biggest obstacle on the horizon, if we don't screw up earlier.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
After the TCU game, all the talk was that Air Force, Wyoming, and UNM were all better than Utah...since the weekend, that talk has quieted substantially...none of those teams was overly impressive in victory. Not to say the Utes were...but given the performance of others...it atleast makes some sense.
Well, I'll argue that Air Force is better than Utah without feeling insecure about my intellectual integrity. As for WYO and UNM, I think Utah will go 1-1 between those two games, but I'm not sure to whom they would lose. 2-0 is nonetheless more likely than 0-2.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

I am where I have been all year long, even when Utah was losing. This will be a good game with BYU winning.

Kyle is not the horrendous coach a lot of BYU fans hope and pray he is.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #10
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, I'll argue that Air Force is better than Utah without feeling insecure about my intellectual integrity. As for WYO and UNM, I think Utah will go 1-1 between those two games, but I'm not sure to whom they would lose. 2-0 is nonetheless more likely than 0-2.
IF Utah takes care of business vs. CSU, two home games to "get back in the mix" could be all the motivation they need.

Now, there's always the yearly loss to UNM that we have to worry about, but hopefully the team will be motivated enough to take care of business at home.

Air Force has done a remarkable job of finding ways to win...It's hard to tell if they are that good, if they just caught us at a good time, if byu is that much better or matches up better...they're just a tough team to judge right now.