cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 04-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU reporting rape victims to the honor code office

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3770084-1...ual?fullpage=1

This honor code office is a never ending source of the very worst of BYU.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a PUA in Toronto who's advocating that all sex indoors should be legal. He said that that would reduce rape cases because people would avoid those situations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b01d80b2454002

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 04-13-2016 at 01:16 PM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I don't agree with that at all.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm heartened to see that the CB reaction was very negative to BYU's policy. I didn't even have to post.

The issues are deeper than just the question of what to do with rape.

It has to do with the nature of repentance, worthiness, grace, excommunication.

The tension is how to have BYU be a different place with a certain atmosphere, while at the same time respecting agency, helping young adults be better people and improve.

We have this idea in the church that punishment is a path to repentance. That it's an act of love to excommunicate members. And that this also helps the church as a whole. Like amputation of a rotting limb.

And that there are no exceptions.

Hence, the mindset that leads investigating rape victims for HC violations, and kicking rape victims out of school who have violated the HC.

I'm very curious to see how BYU and the church leadership will respond to this controversy. I think it's quite possible that they will vigorously defend what they are doing. It's also possible that they will take a step back. I just don't know. And I feel kind of sad that I don't know how this will shake out. I feel sad for this institution.

I've long said that the honor code is not really an honor code. It's a code of conduct. It's a requirement of attendance. And it is externally enforced. All schools will have a code of conduct. You can't commit certain crimes, or commit academic fraud and still remain. But of course the BYU code of conduct reaches into all areas of life, including what you wear, how you shave, etc.

It makes me wonder. Do we envision Christ's millennial reign as something like BYU. With an Honor Code office. And Carri Jenkins as the Minister of Information? Is BYU the utopia of existence? Or is it something that is actually quite un-Christlike, something that the Iranian Mullahs would heartily approve of?

The soul of any institution is constantly up for grabs. And this is one of those cases where the stakes are quite clear.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'll be curious if this story has legs. It will have to be a national controversy before the issue of a possible change is even considered.

Still too early to tell.

So far it's just a local story.

I saw a scrolling headline last night about how Baylor University didn't investigate alleged rapes by two football players for two years. TWO YEARS! They were required to do so by federal law.

Baylor and BYU. Two of the most religious schools out there, both at the center of rape controversy, and not on the good side of the controversy either.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Wow. Just wow. Unbelievable.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3773615-1...-is-threatened
Old 04-20-2016, 02:04 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

BYU had a press release where they said they are going to study how they do things. The status quo is that they were contradicting themselves and tripping over themselves. So this may just be PR control and keeping things as they are, or they might consider actual change.

It's just a freaking shame that they would make rape victims feel like dog crap. And that would be their number one priority that they "don't apologize for."
Old 04-22-2016, 03:48 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This does nothing to abate the notion I have had of their being a real leadership crisis in the church. Rudderless and foundering.

I'm fine with human beings in leadership making mistakes. But you only have a certain amount of capital to use. Pushing all-in on gay families. Pushing all-in on gays in scouting. "we don't apologize" about investigating rape victims for academic suspension and sanction.

Man.

It is my opinion that women will save this church. But they will have to be empowered first. And it's not happened yet.