cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 11-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Let's get an early start whining about our seeding for the 2017 dance

NCAA totally screwed us. We deserve a seeding 2 or 3 spots higher! How does this always happen! This is why we always lose!!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
NCAA totally screwed us. We deserve a seeding 2 or 3 spots higher! How does this always happen! This is why we always lose!!
Not something I'm worried about. BYU has been seeded pretty fairly in basketball for the last several years if you understand what the committee looks for. The last time I think BYU had a legitimate complaint was 2004, but the committee has changed a lot since then. Most fans are idiots when it comes to this though. Maybe it's not totally the fans' fault because most of the people they listen to on TV don't know what they're talking about either.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-09-2016 at 09:24 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Not something I'm worried about. BYU has been seeded pretty fairly in basketball for the last several years if you understand what the committee looks for. The last time I think BYU had a legitimate complaint was 2004, but the committee has changed a lot since then. Most fans are idiots when it comes to this though. Maybe it's not totally the fans's fault because most of the people they listen to on TV don't know what they're talking about either.
BYU women's soccer got screwed. It should have been a two seed and instead got a four seed across the country.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
BYU women's soccer got screwed. It should have been a two seed and instead got a four seed across the country.
the olympic sports are a different animal when it comes to this. I was talking about the mens basketball selection committee which is under much more scrutiny than the other sports. That said, expect the women's soccer team to make some noise this year in the tournament. They are legitimately good. Only three college players in the country were called up to the USWNT a couple of weeks ago and we have one of them. And she wasn't even the conference player of the year because Michelle Vasconcelos, also of BYU was. We are good. I'm looking forward to watching them.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
the olympic sports are a different animal when it comes to this. I was talking about the mens basketball selection committee which is under much more scrutiny than the other sports. That said, expect the women's soccer team to make some noise this year in the tournament. They are legitimately good. Only three college players in the country were called up to the USWNT a couple of weeks ago and we have one of them. And she wasn't even the conference player of the year because Michelle Vasconcelos, also of BYU was. We are good. I'm looking forward to watching them.
They are solid on the frontline, but sometimes the transition from midfield to defensive line is slow or awkward. That is their primary weakness.

Against an offensive minded team, they have a great opportunity. A team that manages possession and defends well will be the challenge.

They should defeat UNLV and the winner of that game faces the winner of OK/SMU. BYU already dominated SMU earlier this year. If they win that game, they go up against South Carolina the number 1 seed. I don't know enough about the Gamecocks.