cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 07-11-2008, 03:36 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gardens

Does anybody have any vegetables in yet? I've had jalapenos for a couple of weeks, but more importantly, I just got my first cucumber. My tomatoes are coming in soon and then fresh veggies for a couple of months straight.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Does anybody have any vegetables in yet? I've had jalapenos for a couple of weeks, but more importantly, I just got my first cucumber. My tomatoes are coming in soon and then fresh veggies for a couple of months straight.
This is filthy, even for cougarguard.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:41 AM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This is filthy, even for cougarguard.
I don't get it.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got pimientos in but not my red hots or green bells yet. Of my 9 tomato plants, only 1 has any tomatoes on it. I have no idea what's wrong, they're flowering like crazy so maybe the bees aren't cooperating. I had yellow squash stir fried in olive oil along with a lettuce and spinach salad last night, all from the garden. Corn is tasseling, but seems short (about waist high) and this heat is taking a toll. I look forward to corn the most so I'll be disappointed if it fails. The vegetable I'm getting the most of is eggplant. I have ichibans and we get enough from one plant to have it one night a week for the two of us who eat them.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:53 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Tomatoes are coming along nicely as is the squash. Cucumbers are starting to look like they want to show themselves. Bell peppers are not cooperating at all, nor are the carrots. W had some beets and beet greens for dinner tonight and they were awesome.

Strawberries are looking good and the gooseberries are green, but will ripen in the next week or two.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I've got pimientos in but not my red hots or green bells yet. Of my 9 tomato plants, only 1 has any tomatoes on it. I have no idea what's wrong, they're flowering like crazy so maybe the bees aren't cooperating. I had yellow squash stir fried in olive oil along with a lettuce and spinach salad last night, all from the garden. Corn is tasseling, but seems short (about waist high) and this heat is taking a toll. I look forward to corn the most so I'll be disappointed if it fails. The vegetable I'm getting the most of is eggplant. I have ichibans and we get enough from one plant to have it one night a week for the two of us who eat them.
Sounds awesome. How do you keep the insects away from your lettuce and spinach? Did you plant zuccini along with your yellow squash?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:59 AM   #7
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My lettuce and spinach is long gone in this summer heat, but they produced well in the spring. My cherry tomatoes produced last month, and my romas were coming in well. I made a big batch of tomato sauce with them.

However, something rodent like (squirrel or rat) has eaten the rest of my romas.

We have two plum trees. Squirrels and birds took care of all the fruit before it ripened this year.

We have two fig trees. We haven't gotten one fig to ripen in the 5 years we've had them. (Netting over the top didn't help).

So basically, all the critters in my yard are well-fed.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:00 AM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sounds awesome. How do you keep the insects away from your lettuce and spinach? Did you plant zuccini along with your yellow squash?
So far I haven't had any insect problems. I'm hoping it stays that way but you know how it goes. The wife does mash up some hot peppers and sprays it on the leaves but I have my doubts that it really helps.

Yeah, I planted 2 zuccini plants which should feed us and 3 other families. They are just starting to come in.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:03 AM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
So basically, all the critters in my yard are well-fed.
Little bastards. I hate critters.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:12 AM   #10
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Little bastards. I hate critters.
The deer eat everything where I'm from . . . and I live in a city. We need some wolves back here. I put some coyote pee pellets around my yard, but it hasn't helped. They know it's a ploy.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote