cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival

Old 02-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default S&W m&p

I don't pay attention to guns for a few years, and boy can things change.

Like ammo being 2-3x more expensive. And probably even more shockingly--S&W makes a decent auto-pistol? What?

Back in the day my friend bought a S&W Sigma, which is universally acknowledged as one of the most disappointing pistols in history. I remember dry-firing his pistol--it literally felt like it had a 20lb trigger pull. I remember when I went shooting with this friend, and I watched his shots hit the dirt in a puff of dust 10 feet in front of the target. Flinching like crazy.

But anyway, my uncle tells me, when I was inquiring about a more female-friendly option in a handgun, "have you thought of the S&W M&P?" My uncle is a bit of a snob, and I had never heard of the M&P. A S&W auto-pistol? WTH? It turns out it has pretty good reviews, and anecdotally, according to my uncle, women have an easier time racking the slide (for those that are deficient in the strength area). Hmmm.....my uncle likes his.

But for me, a glock-snob, the idea that the S&W might be better than the glock, for example.....that is hard to swallow. Now get this right--a glock snob is nothing like a SIG-snob, or a H&K-snob, or a XD-snob. Glock-snobs are like the first people who bought a Datsun in the 1970s. What was heresy then is practicality and honest/smart living now. We are the ordinary hard-working practical non-flashy snobs. We don't care about looks, we only care about MPG and not having to get it repaired--however, you would never catch us in a Ford Focus, no matter what the reviews are.

While I am writing about guns....one thing I have noticed is the lack of good gun-writing. Or put another way, there is only one way of gun-writing--it come from a very white, middle-class, conservative, good-ol boy, middle-aged perspective. There is no post-modern Gen X funny ironic take on these things. And in a way, I think that shuts out people from guns. It becomes a cultural battle, where if you don't think you are a good-ol boy, then you ought not own a gun, or care about firearms.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't heard about that S&W auto pistol. I just may have to check it out.

I agree about good ol' boy perspective of gun ownership and writing. Of course, I've met very few people who have the same thoughts as I do about gun ownership who are not white males in my age category (36-50) who own guns and truly believe that citizens should be armed. And the ones who are non-white males are cops.

On a side note Mike, do you ever listen to Gun Talk that is hosted by Tom Gresham?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

He sounds like a shill.

Looks like this mag is the only one worth subscribing to. Consumer Reports for guns.
http://www.gun-tests.com/
Old 02-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

He can be a shill at times, but he also has guests from gun manufacturers that give a lot of info about their weapons. I also give him credit for getting folks involved with the NRA.

I don't listen as often as I would like, being that his show is aired on Sundays and there is almost always some sort of church engangement going on, but I'm glad he's on the air so there is at least some voice for those of us who own guns.

I'll have to take some time to look at the link you posted. It looks like it would be worth the time.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Like any internet niche, the gun niche is full of blowhards and morons. But there are very knowledgable, intelligent people as well.

Anytime I might feel too far out of the mainstream of society, all I have to read about is someone's "bug-out shelter" with assorted armaments, or how someone just purchased 10,000 rounds of ammunition, or look at someone's posted picture of their 28 Hi-Power pistols.

Gun ownership is fraught with diffiiculties for the novice, everything from practical aspects like safe storage, and what kind to buy. To the more complex ones such as the moral/ethical aspects of ownership as well as self-defense. Or perhaps one of my favorites--the morality of not being a gun-owner, while relying on the benefits that gun owners provide them.

A lot of people are not willing to put in the time.