cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I've volunteered.....

to help provide mental health services at Reunion arena in Dallas. I'll probably be going over there tomorrow. It was only after I committed that I remembered the BYU game. Either I'll just work in the morning or I will TIVO.

I'll report back about it once I've been there.

I also emailed our stake public affairs person to suggest that we advertise our local and national efforts on the dallas morning news site (where numerous churches are giving info on how to help). Wonder if anything will come of that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Way to go, Mike.

Can't wait to hear your report.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

was there all afternoon at Reunion, and then at night switched over to convention center. In some ways a very emotional experience. I got home at about 6:30am.

I'm going to bed now, but the following has been rattling in my mind:

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

I'll say more later.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:08 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This article is interesting in that it shows exactly the situation I encountered last night. That is, no one knew what was going on.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.2e938cf.html

You may have to use bugmenot.com to register.

anyway, so it's 1am and I ask one of the head guys if more buses are coming to the convention center or not (we had heard various things). The guys say he didn't know. Me, "isn't that something that would be good to know?" "yes."

Not even the frickin' mayor knew. I think that convention center probably has 4 or 5 thousand people in it. It's basically a covered air-condiitioned parking garage. There are even parking paint lines on the concrete floor. There is one men's bathroom and one women's bathroom. Guys were buck naked "showering" at the 4 sinks.

But all in all, it was very orderly, vary calm, tons of police. Just the mass humanity of it is kind of overwhelming. When I was leaving, driving home, the emotions of it all kind of hit me--a tear or two. These people have desperately suffered. But most of them have their heads up. The human spirit, even among the weakest and poorest, is strong and resilient.

I'll be going back tomorrow evening.

I'll report more about yesterday if I have some more time (and inclination).