cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Write my talk for me. Please.

I've been asked to speak at this Sunday's Stake General Priesthood Meeting on the topic of What Teachers and Quorum/Group Members Can Do to Improve Class Discussions.

So what tips would you offer to elevate the often lamentably low level of classroom conversation? One useful (though unoriginal) approach for me has been to read the lesson one week ahead of time (reading it Sunday afternoon between napping, eating and watching TV sports has the ancillary benefit of easing my conscience about my poor Sabbath observance). By reading it in advance, everyday occurrences during the week will occasionally bring insights that help my understanding of the lesson's themes. Having mulled over a few things during the week, I'm more inclined to participate in the lesson. Historically, I've spent most PH lessons in a state of semi-consciousness. Not so much nowadays.

[D'oh. I intended to put this under Religion. Sorry.]
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah. That's a good one. Read the lesson beforehand. Too bad you will not be able to convince anyone that isn't already doing it, to do it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I have a cool idea.

Bring in a TV to the pulpit and show the entire Stake this really inspiring scene from "Witness," in which everyone chips in to help raise a barn.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I have a cool idea.

Bring in a TV to the pulpit and show the entire Stake this really inspiring scene from "Witness," in which everyone chips in to help raise a barn.

I'm glad you're paying attention. I tried a variation on that approach the following year; a live production that featured me in the Kelly McGillis role. I turned around, shirtless (and these were the days when I was 30 lbs overweight and featured a nice manrack), with water dripping down my chest, and pleaded with the brethren to come help move a family out of the ward.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to move an entire living room set down a flight of stairs by yourself?
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a great question with probably a good answer coming from the experts. You may wish to ask Creekster or Lebo, as they are the old gents of our group. SEIQ, being an expert in media, probably has some great ideas.

Rather than answers, I might put forward some questions.

First, determine as a teacher what the meat of the lesson is, and find a way to humanize it to your group. If you know the struggles which are publicly known to the group/quorum, figure a way to bring it back to the group.

Second, ascertain what the level of the group is, what the ranges are, in order to determine what may or may not be acceptable parameters. Polyandry may or may not benefit certain groups.

Third, determine ahead who might derail conversations and find a nice way to divert it back to the subject.

Fourth, read the manual, see what is not included on the subject and ask yourself why that aspect is not included. Example, why is polyandry not included? Can you find a reason why not to include it? For Book of Mormon, why are Deutero Isaiah aspects of Second Nephi not discussed? Why is the unity of Isaiah not discussed?

Fifth, research what is not included, and examine them in connection to the whole picture and ponder why the parts which have been included are included and why the parts which have been included are included? What does this tell you about the subject matter?

I'll add additional thoughts later. The only reason is that I struggle to stay interested, and use many techniques to find a reason to pay attention.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I'm glad you're paying attention. I tried a variation on that approach the following year; a live production that featured me in the Kelly McGillis role. I turned around, shirtless (and these were the days when I was 30 lbs overweight and featured a nice manrack), with water dripping down my chest, and pleaded with the brethren to come help move a family out of the ward.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to move an entire living room set down a flight of stairs by yourself?
I don't think it was your irrigated gynecomastia that turned people off.

It was the fact that you asked everyone to show up at 4:30AM to do it and that nobody could drive their car.

People got their OWN cows to milk, amigo.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been an EQ instructor for the past three years and I have a theory on the purpose of PH lessons. That is, the purpose of PH lessons are to 1) help the quorum draw closer together as a brotherhood, 2) learn more about the prophet for whom the manual is dedicated, and 3) better understand the topic at hand.

If the lesson is only geared towards the third purpose, it's usually pretty boring. The lessons are typically pretty basic stuff, so it's kind of tough to get participation and insight. Although it is kind of fun to look through the lesson and find seemingly contradictory points and get some good argument.

Delving into the lives of the prophets and understanding the context in which the quotes are taken can really add to a lesson. Furthermore, if the instructor knows the quorum members well, they can ask pointed questions that can get a more of a personal response from members. It takes a lot of preparation, but can really make that last half-hour go quite well.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Please forgive the obviousness...You need to teach in such a manner so that reading the lesson material beforehand, active and diverse participation, or whatever is desired--is rewarded.

Teachers should reward the behavior they want.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-22-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've been asked to speak at this Sunday's Stake General Priesthood Meeting on the topic of What Teachers and Quorum/Group Members Can Do to Improve Class Discussions.

So what tips would you offer to elevate the often lamentably low level of classroom conversation? One useful (though unoriginal) approach for me has been to read the lesson one week ahead of time (reading it Sunday afternoon between napping, eating and watching TV sports has the ancillary benefit of easing my conscience about my poor Sabbath observance). By reading it in advance, everyday occurrences during the week will occasionally bring insights that help my understanding of the lesson's themes. Having mulled over a few things during the week, I'm more inclined to participate in the lesson. Historically, I've spent most PH lessons in a state of semi-consciousness. Not so much nowadays.

[D'oh. I intended to put this under Religion. Sorry.]
Here's my suggestion and if I was the GD teacher again I would do this. I would get everyone's email then send them a quick review of the lesson on like thursday. People could read the email at work and it wouldn't seem like such a chore. I would embed the scriptures I wanted to read in the email.

this would serve two purposes.

1. Help yourself prepare to teach/lead the discussion
2. Provide the people the most likely way they will read the lesson.

I read all non-junk emails I get. I would read the lesson because its all right there.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
ISo what tips would you offer to elevate the often lamentably low level of classroom conversation? ]
Tom Trails filmstrips.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote