cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #11
Oxcoug

Oxcoug is on a distinguished road
Default Waters with another patented adolescent response

Mate seriously - you're making me laugh. I know you're not trying to. But why do you default to such teenage girl games?

And if you are determined to try and sabotage the substance of the conversation - which has nothing to do with what color anyone was and everything to do with (a) politically correct culture and (b) the science of a genetic shift inside a region - could you at least be a little bit clever along the way?
Oxcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Are you implying that nobody has seen God? I think Mitt Romney made the same mistake during his campaign and it cost him some points in the Mormon mullah community.
Nobody that has seen God has provided a detailed description.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #13
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Nobody that has seen God has provided a detailed description.
D&C 110:3

Quote:
His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow;
Maybe he has white hair...
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #14
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm not a geneticist but what I do know is that Israeli society was so isolated politically, geographically and economically that the gene pool there was extremely shallow. Everyone there looked the same. I think we can state with 100% certainty what level of melanin was in the Savior's skin.

Wait, the father was Deity? What's genetic contribution did he get from that side of the family? How many of those traits might be considered dominant traits?

Until someone has seen God and has gotten a good fix on what God looks like, this discussion is completely ridiculous.
I've always felt sorry for Joseph. How could he possibly measure up in the sack when Mary has "known" God. It also makes me wonder if Joseph got jealous when he brought her to orgasm and she was yelling God's name.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I've always felt sorry for Joseph. How could he possibly measure up in the sack when Mary has "known" God. It also makes me wonder if Joseph got jealous when he brought her to orgasm and she was yelling God's name.
Classy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #16
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Classy.
Thanks. It's about time someone outside the trailer park noticed.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #17
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Are you implying that nobody has seen God? I think Mitt Romney made the same mistake during his campaign and it cost him some points in the Mormon mullah community.
no, he acutally said God hasn't spoken since Moses. I don't consider myself to be part of the Mormon mullah community, but that kind of turned me off when I first heard it.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I am trying to figure out why we should care if people wish to portray Jesus with darker skin. I can't think of a good reason. Help me out here.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #19
DNA

DNA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxcoug View Post
It's a fad in current visual representations - documentaries etc - to depict Jesus as having bit of an Arab appearance.

The rather simplistic thinking seems to be "heyyyy look at that part of the world - they're all Arabs, they've got dark hair and dark skin! Jesus must have looked THAT way!" It becomes a kind of political correctness to make the point that Jesus and his boys were NOT white.

My instinct is that this is garbage. That a genetic pool even in a very large and populated area can be overwhelmed and changed in a very short period. That the Bible isn't kidding when it describes David as being "ruddy" and that the genetic makeup of 1st century Jews could well have had a lot of fair-haired, fair-skinned people. That Mohammed's conquest of the Levant and subsequent incursions from various Muslim dynasties cld have eliminated many of those recessive genes in the region.

And that at the end of the day it's not the least bit implausible that Jesus was just a white dude. Not that it matters to me - I just find it annoying that we now are all expected to assume that he wasn't.

But that's my relatively uninformed view. Anyone? Am I wrong?
Whatever the answer, the Israelites were a cloistered community from Jacob on down. When they went into Egypt it was looked down on to marry with the Egyptians althought Joseph did marry the Princess. So who knows how much intermarrying they did.

When they left Egypt, then they really got into the, "don't marry outside" thing. Even in the land of Israel, I believe they were encouraged to marry amongst their own tribe. Judah itself had some distinct characteristics. But did they intermarry during the Babylonian captivity.

Since the Arabs originate with Ishmael, who knows what he looked like.

Somehow I doubt that JC was fair skinned and blonde hair. It statistically and genetically seems a long shot. Although I suppose anything is possible.
DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Since the Arabs originate with Ishmael.
You're kidding, right? "The Arabs" "originated" with someone called Ishmael like Achilles originated from the nymph Thetis. This is creationism.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote