cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The 1832 account of the First Vision

In Joseph Smith's handwriting, with original spelling. Words enclosed by {} were crossed out and words enclosed by [] were inserted with a "^." Although the manuscript seems to indicate "16th year" its possible that it's "15th year":

A History of the life of Joseph Smith Jr an account of his marvilous experience and of all the mighty acts which he doeth in the name of Jesus Chist the son of the living God of whom he beareth record and also an account of the rise of the church of Christ in the eve of time according as the Lord brought forth and established by his hand [firstly] he receiving the testamony from on high secondly the ministering of Angels thirdly the reception of the holy Priesthood by the ministring of Aangels to adminster the letter of the Gospel - the Law and commandments as they were given unto him - and the ordinencs, forthly a confirmation and reception of the high Priesthood after the holy order of the son of the living God power and ordinence from on high to preach the Gospel in the administration and demonstration of the spirit the Kees of the Kingdom of God confered upon him and the continuation of the blessings of God to him &c-------- I was born in the town of Charon in the [state] Of Vermont North America on the twenty third day of December A D 1805 of goodly Parents who spared no pains to instructing me in [the] christian religion at the age of about ten years my Father Joseph Smith Siegnior moved to Palmyra Ontario County in the State of New York and being in indigent circumstances were obliged to labour hard for the Support of a large Family having nine children and as it required the exertions of all that were able to render any assistance for the Support of the Family therefore we were deprived of the bennifit of an education Suffice it to Say I was mearly instructed in reading {and} writing and the ground [rules] of Arithmatic which constuted my whole literary acquirements. At about the age of twelve years my mind became seriously imprest with regard to the all importent concerns for the wellfare of my immortal Soul which led me to Searching the Scriptures believeing as I was taught, that they contained the word of God thus applying myself to them and my intimate acquaintance with those of differant denominations led me to marvel excedingly far I discovered that [they did not {adorn}] {instead} Of adorning their profession by a holy walk and Godly conversation agreeable to what I found contained in that Sacred depository this was a grief to my Soul thus from the age of twelve years to fifteen I pondered many things in my heart concerning the sittuation of the world of mankind the contentions and divions the wickeness and abominations and the darkness which pervaded the {of the} minds of mankind my mind become excedingly distressed for I became convicted of my Sins and by Searching the Scriptures I found that {mand} [mankind] did not come unto the Lord but that they had apostatised from the true and liveing faith and there was no society or denomination that built upon the Gospel of Jesus Christ as recorded in the new testament and I felt to mourn for my own Sins and for the Sins of the world for I learned in the Scriptures that God was the same yesterday to day and forever that he was no respecter to persons for he was God for I looked upon the sun the glorious luminary of the earth and also the moon rolling in their magesty through the heavens and also the Stars Shining in their courses and the earth also upon which I stood and the beast of the field and the fowls of heaven and the fish of the waters and also man walking forth upon the face of the earth in magesty and in the Strength of beauty whose power and intiligence in governing the things which are so exceding great and marvilous even in the likeness of him who created {him} [them] and when I considered upon these things my heart exclaimed well hath the wise man Said {the} [it is a] fool [that] Saith in his heart there is no God my heart exclained all all these bear testimony and bespeak an omnipotent and omnipreasant power a being who makith Laws and decreeeth and bindeth all things in theirbounds who filleth Eternity who was and is and will be fron all Eternity to Eternity and when I considered all these things andthat [that] being Seeketh such to worship him as worship him inspirit and in truth therefore I cried unto the Lord for mercy forthere was none else to whom I could go and {to} obtain mercy andthe Lord heard my cry in the wilderness and while in [the] attitude of calling upon the Lord [in the 16th* year of my age] a pillar of {fire} lightabove the brightness of the Sun at noon day come down fromabove and rested upon me and I was filld with the Spirit of God and the [Lord] opened the heavens upon me and I Saw the Lord and he Spake unto me Saying Joseph [my son] thy Sins are forgiven thee. go thy [way] walk in my Statutes and keep my commandments behold I am the Lord of glory I was crucifyed for the world that all those who believe on my name may have Eternal life [behold] the world lieth in sin {and} at this time and none doeth good no not one they have turned asside from the Gospel and keep not [my] commandments they draw near to me with their lips while their hearts are far from me and mine anger is kindling against the inhabitants of the earth to visit them acording to this ungodliness and to bring to pass that which [hath] been spoken by the mouth of the prophets and Apostles behold and lo I come quickly as it written of me in the cloud [clothed] in the glory of my Father and my Soul was filled with love and for many days I could rejoice with great joy and the Lord was with me but could find none that would believe the hevenly vision. . . . Nevertheless I fell into transgression and sinned in many things which brought wound upon my Soul and there were many things which transpired that cannot be writen and my Fathers family have suffered many persecutions and afflictions.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

I know this isn't your point, but my first thought in reading this is, "how in the world did the same mind who recorded this produce the Book of Mormon?"

Thanks for posting this. I've been meaning for a long time to put down the three accounts and read them side-by-side but haven't gotten around to it.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I know this isn't your point, but my first thought in reading this is, "how in the world did the same mind who recorded this produce the Book of Mormon?"

Thanks for posting this. I've been meaning for a long time to put down the three accounts and read them side-by-side but haven't gotten around to it.
For me, there are no easy answers when it comes to Joseph Smith Jr.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:

Let's see if it sounds any better with punctuation and a little editing:

Quote:
A History of the life of Joseph Smith, Jr.

An account of his marvelous experience and of all the mighty acts which he does in the name of Jesus Christ, the son of the living God, of whom he beareth record, and also an account of the rise of the church of Christ in the eve of time, as the Lord brought forth and established by his hand.

First, he received the testimony from on high; second, the ministering of Angels; third, the reception of the holy Priesthood by the ministering of angels to administer the letter of the Gospel (the Law and commandments as they were given unto him) and the ordinances; fourth, a confirmation and reception of the high Priesthood after the holy order of the son of the living God, power and ordinance from on high to preach the Gospel in the administration and demonstration of the spirit, the Keys of the Kingdom of God which were conferred upon him; and the continuation of the blessings of God to him, etc.

I was born in the town of Charon in the State Of Vermont North America on the twenty third day of December, A D 1805, of goodly Parents who spared no pains to instruct me in the Christian religion. At the age of about ten years, my Father, Joseph Smith, Senior, moved to Palmyra, Ontario County in the State of New York, and being in indigent circumstances, we were obliged to labor hard for the support of a large family (having nine children). As it required the exertions of all that were able to render any assistance for the support of the family, we were accordingly deprived of the benefit of an education. Suffice it to say I was merely instructed in reading, writing, and the ground rules of arithmetic, which constituted my whole literary acquirements.

At about the age of twelve years my mind became seriously impressed with regard to the all important concerns for the welfare of my immortal soul, which led me to searching the scriptures, believing (as I was taught) that they contained the word of God, thus applying myself to them. My intimate acquaintance with those of different denominations led me to marvel exceedingly, as I discovered that they did not adorn their profession by a holy walk and Godly conversation agreeable to what I found contained in that sacred depository.

This was a grief to my soul; thus, from the age of twelve years to fifteen, I pondered many things in my heart concerning the situation of the world of mankind: the contentions and divisions, the wickedness and abominations, and the darkness which pervaded the minds of mankind. My mind become exceedingly distressed, for I became convicted of my sins. By searching the scriptures, I found that mankind did not come unto the Lord but that they had apostatized from the true and living faith, and there was no society or denomination that built upon the Gospel of Jesus Christ as recorded in the new testament.

I felt to mourn for my own sins, and for the sins of the world, for I learned in the scriptures that God was the same yesterday, today, and forever; that he was no respecter to persons, for he was God. I looked upon the sun, the glorious luminary of the earth; and also the moon, rolling in their majesty through the heavens; and also the stars, shining in their courses; and also the earth upon which I stood; and the beast of the field and the fowls of heaven, and the fish of the waters; and also man walking forth upon the face of the earth in majesty and in the strength of beauty, whose power and intelligence in governing the things which are so exceedingly great and marvelous even in the likeness of him who created them. And when I considered these things, my heart exclaimed, "Well hath the wise man said that it is a fool that saith in his heart there is no God." My heart exclaimed, "All these bear testimony and bespeak an omnipotent and omnipresent power, a being who makes laws, and decrees and binds all things in their bounds, who fills eternity; who was, and is, and will be from all Eternity to Eternity."
Sorry, out of time. Gotta run. But what does that do to our general impression of the man? I did nothing more to the text than EB Grandin would have done to the Book of Mormon.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Let's see if it sounds any better with punctuation and a little editing:

Sorry, out of time. Gotta run. But what does that do to our general impression of the man? I did nothing more to the text than EB Grandin would have done to the Book of Mormon.
It's not so much the lack of punctuation as the lack of organization to his thoughts--almost a stream-of-consciousness, similar to much of the D&C. In calling the BOM a literary work produced by Joseph Smith, you would have to explain why it is so different from the rest of the works he produced. Is JS really the type of person to take a full four years organizing and revising a new set of scriptures that would be internally consistent? It seems awfully out of character.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
This is the lamest form of apologetics. You are also overestimating the literary merit of the Book of Mormon.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This is the lamest form of apologetics. You are also overestimating the literary merit of the Book of Mormon.
If that comment were in any way intended to be apologetic, I would agree that it's weak. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just stating my internal reaction.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Who besides yourself in order to knock down a strawman, has acclaimed the BoM on its literary merit?

The only argument is that, JS, as uneducated, seemed ill-equipped to pen even a modest attempt at a literary work. You should be acquainted with the difficulties of binding together a piece of literature, despite your lofty education.

Imagine how a second grader could bring together, even copying from the Bible, something which had enough of a story to capture the imagination of a couple of million persons. Whether you're willing to admit it or not, that's not something to be dismissed so easily.

No, the BoM is no literary masterpiece, but yes it is amazing, even something as ordinary as what was produced took place in so short a time and to a degree successful enough to be revered by a number of persons. Does it stand as a witness that JS didn't or did do it? No, but the work still stands out and will be remembered longer than anything you or I write.

Last edited by Archaea; 10-20-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The only argument is that, JS, as uneducated, seemed ill-equipped to pen even a modest attempt at a literary work. You should be acquainted with the difficulties of binding together a piece of literature, despite your lofty education.
Not a bad point. I have always thought that the "unlettered" argument respecting Joseph Smith made little sense. Someone of the right kind of genius would need no more than what Joseph had at his finger tips. I don't number this among the reasons I believe in the Book of Mormon.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Not a bad point. I have always thought that the "unlettered" argument respecting Joseph Smith made little sense. Someone of the right kind of genius would need no more than what Joseph had at his finger tips. I don't number this among the reasons I believe in the Book of Mormon.
It doesn't make me believe, but when doubts seem to overwhelm my senses, that thought does give me pause. Doubters and detractors have offered no plausible alternative to what transpired. You may dissemble the Isaiah portions or the Nielsen third Nephi language, you may resort to many dissemblages but in the end, it remains a mystery to me. Unless you choose to believe.

And it has formed the fabric of a minor subculture within our larger American experience. The work stands for something, it remains the reader's right to determine for which it stands.