cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 03:06 AM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An open letter to Sheehan

I think Mrs. Sheehan has every right to do what she is doing. I can't imagine what kind of grief she must feel. I am also disturbed by some of the hateful comments I hear, many of which come by mouth of "our own people". However, I feel that her cause is being coopted by people who don't have the same "moral high ground" that she did when she started. I heard this letter written to her and read on NPR today. Here's a link to the audio.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4805852

He expresses exactly what I feel.

For some reason this link doesn't work on this post unless you copy it and paste it in your browser.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:24 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I fixed the link....I took out the space.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:53 AM   #3
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Closed Letter to Sheehan

Dear Cindy,

Regards,
Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:28 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

good one Brian. maybe you're coming back into form.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:59 PM   #5
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat
Default She has no "moral high ground"

That is garbage. Give me a freaking break. It's not like her son was 16 years old, and drafted into the army against his will. This was a man, in his early 20's, that VOLUNTEERED to join the army. Of course it is horrible for anyone to lose their son, not matter how it happens, but why does this give her moral high ground? This woman is anti-American, and is a disgrace. She is now calling the insurgents in Iraq, "freedom fighthers"! What the hell is that?!
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
SteelBlue

Default Re: She has no "moral high ground"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat
That is garbage. Give me a freaking break. It's not like her son was 16 years old, and drafted into the army against his will. This was a man, in his early 20's, that VOLUNTEERED to join the army. Of course it is horrible for anyone to lose their son, not matter how it happens, but why does this give her moral high ground? This woman is anti-American, and is a disgrace. She is now calling the insurgents in Iraq, "freedom fighthers"! What the hell is that?!
I wouldn't presume to know what it feels like to lose a son in combat. I'd personally give a lot of leeway to anybody who has. I see no problem with her protest. I don't agree with her, but she is a grieving mother and you have to take that into account. I used the term moral high ground because she has actually made a sacrifice in this war and has earned the right (more than the average American) to express her opinion on the matter.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:16 PM   #7
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default I'm going to quibble with you here.

I keep seeing it thrown out with out any apparent scrutiny or contradiction that the loved ones of war dead have some enhanced standing to make judgments about the rightness or wrongness of this war.

I just don't follow that logic. This is the same line of reasoning that says that men shouldn't have any say regarding whether abortion is right or wrong since we can never have babies. Or the one that says only those who have served in the military ought to be able to make decisions with regard to it.

Either the war is right or it is not. Either it is moral or it is immoral. These are judgments that any person ought to be able to arrive at without the advantage (or really, the disadvantage) of having lost a loved one. Why does this status enhance their moral authority? I don't think it does.

I'm right there with you on the idea that hese people get all the leeway in the world to take whatever positions or actions they want to as they grieve. What I don't agree with is that their opinion is any better than mine.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:21 PM   #8
SteelBlue

Default Re: I'm going to quibble with you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan
I just don't follow that logic. This is the same line of reasoning that says that men shouldn't have any say regarding whether abortion is right or wrong since we can never have babies. Or the one that says only those who have served in the military ought to be able to make decisions with regard to it.

Either the war is right or it is not. Either it is moral or it is immoral. These are judgments that any person ought to be able to arrive at without the advantage (or really, the disadvantage) of having lost a loved one. Why does this status enhance their moral authority? I don't think it does.
I think I've miscommunicated here. It was never my intention to argue that Sheehan's opinion carried more weight than yours or mine in relation to whether or not this is a moral/immoral war. It was my intention to argue that she had the moral high ground in the argument as to whether or not it is wrong or somehow "Un-American" for her to do what she was doing. Namely protesting on the President's doorstep while we are trying to win a war.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:34 PM   #9
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default I guess I just misunderstood you.

Is anyone really arguing that she doesn't have the right to do what she is doing? I think she does, much though I think she is wrong.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:29 AM   #10
SteelBlue

Default Re: I guess I just misunderstood you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan
Is anyone really arguing that she doesn't have the right to do what she is doing? I think she does, much though I think she is wrong.
I think there has been a lot of debate about whether what she is doing is wrong or Un-American. Not necessarily that she doesn't have the right to do it.