cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Band of Brothers

Hello, everyone, I am aware that a fairly animated post I made over at the Ute board got some attention here. I tried to comment then, but it has been so long since I posted here, I needed several days to get back in.

I will be coming here more, by the way, because the modern-day Ute board is not what it used to be. More sound and fury than interesting discussion, I'm afraid. As for the other Cougard board, well, I think the average age is about 22 and the discussion level reflects that.

(Harrumph, he said.)

Anyway, I actually think the "Band of Brothers" notion is good motivational stuff. In all honesty, I do have ahard time with Bronco, but I am getting used to him. My guess is that he is a young (harrumph again) new head coach with the job of his dreams, and he has been given explicit instructions from 47 East South Temple in Salt Lake as to the kind of football program BYU must have. He's just doing the job he agreed to do.

Nevertheless . . . almost everything that comes out of his mouth seems so stilted. He sounds like he runs his statements through Correlation before releasing them. And he does make some unfortunate statements -- not unlike Barack Obama, who is also a "greenie" at being in the public eye. And, because pomposity and self-righteousness are hot buttons for me with all Church members, not just BYU athletes, he just bugs me when he indulges his tendency to be that way. I am not sure he really is that way, or if he just needs a little seasoning.

Of course, it is not the BYU football coach's job to be palatable to Ute fans. But he does a good job of giving Ute fans someone to dislike.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:12 AM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
Of course, it is not the BYU football coach's job to be palatable to Ute fans. But he does a good job of giving Ute fans someone to dislike.
He's just following orders from 47 East South Temple.

Welcome old friend. Stick around this time.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

President Monson did ask for a BYU flag signed by the team this week for his birthday (FACT)...

Any truth to the rumor that he'll be quoting from the BYU media guide next General Conference?