cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default memorial day good eats

actually Memorial Day weekend. What did people enjoy? Nothing fancy here, but me and my two kids actually had a lot of fun making some rosemary grilled salmon filets, grilled asparagus, and a fresh pasta salad with radishes, cheese, green onions. That was Saturday PM.

Monday we did the traditional (for us) homemade Ben and Jerry's recipe ice cream. 4 flavors total, so far the mint oreo and strawberry have turned out great. Still haven't churned the Georgia Peach and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup.

Monday night was Wings to Go for me--half Hot half Sweet & Sour. I won't be bothering with the Sweet and Sour again, but I love the wings from that place. Mmmmm.

Anybody have anything fun over the weekend? Great recipes tried out for the first time?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

No great recipes, but this is usually the first day that we break out the grill and cook us up some steaks, hotdogs and hamburgers. This is probably the only day that we also eat ice cream sandwiches.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue
Monday we did the traditional (for us) homemade Ben and Jerry's recipe ice cream. 4 flavors total, so far the mint oreo and strawberry have turned out great. Still haven't churned the Georgia Peach and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup.
?
Mmm. Feel like sharing those ice cream recipes you've tried?

The only really new thing I tried making over the weekend was some panna cotta. (I got inspired when I saw the Top Chef finale and decided to look up a recipe.) I liked it quite a bit-- has anyone else had it?

I almost tried to cook a brisket this weekend, but I got discouraged by the memory of my last brisket. I tried to smoke it, but it turned into a big hunk of tough meat laced with sections of fatty tissue. Not what I had in mind. How do you guys cook brisket?
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

my son inherited my "loves ice cream" gene.

i pity him.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I loved grilled asparagus. If I can't smell my urine, I feel like I ain't living!

I loved grilled zucchini, love grilled tomatoes and garlic, love grilled pineapple....

We BBQ'd ribs this weekend, and covered vegetables in my newly planted garden....(yes I garden)

I am interested in your homemade ice cream recipes.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters
I got discouraged by the memory of my last brisket. I tried to smoke it, but it turned into a big hunk of tough meat laced with sections of fatty tissue. Not what I had in mind. How do you guys cook brisket?
My first and only attempt was the same. How is it correctly done?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
OhioBlue

the ice cream recipes are not my own. They are Ben & Jerry's, out of a recipe book you can buy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089...Fencoding=UTF8

The book is older and doesn't have some of the new flavors, but it's good nonetheless. My family and my wife's family (where the tradition started) won't make anything else.

The mixtures are simple and there's no trick other than to go with good ingredients, and to get those eggs nice and whipped before adding the sugar. Eggs, sugar, cream, milk. It's that easy.
I like to chill the mixture before churning, and a longer churn never hurt anyone. Tonight we finish the peach flavor, and enjoy the chocolate peanut butter cup. Big chunks---yummm.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
OhioBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
I loved grilled asparagus. If I can't smell my urine, I feel like I ain't living!

I loved grilled zucchini, love grilled tomatoes and garlic, love grilled pineapple....
I taught my son about the smelly pee thing this weekend. Interestingly enough, he's a picky eater but he'll eat grilled asparagus with me any day of the week. Lately I like to just put a little olive oil and sea salt on them.

I also love grilling yellow squash and pneapple. I haven't grilled tomatoes before--how should I do that?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

We were going to try the Swordfish steaks this Memorial Day. Got a call from the wife who was gathering materials and she informed me that it was $15/pound. I nixed it.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue
I also love grilling yellow squash and pneapple. I haven't grilled tomatoes before--how should I do that?
I grill asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and a little bit of balsamic. After they are done I let them rest in a little bit of olive oil and balsamic, seriously the best food ever.....

Tomatoes are tricky little characters. You can't really grill them like you would squash, pineapple, etc. I cut them in halves, soak them in a mixture of garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, and grill them on each side and add parmesan cheese on top....(fresh)
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote