cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default And related to my other thread, how to figure out if your team is going to be shown

in your area: It's pretty simple and 75-90% of the time is obvious which game you will get.

1. Look to see what games are scheduled for the same time slot. There are always going to be 3 or 4 games at the same time.

2. See if any of those 6 or 8 teams is in your TV market, if so, that is 100% guaranteed to be the game you'll get, and they will show you every minute of the game no matter how lopsided it gets. In Utah that would be BYU, Utah or USU. In Tucson, that would be Arizona, etc.

3. If no local market teams are playing, then look for a team in the same state.

4. Next, usually a team from the conference of most interest in your market gets the next priority. In other words, an MWC team for Utah or a Big 12 team for Dallas. Naturally there are multiple conferences sometimes represented in the same market, like the Big Sky or WAC and MWC in Utah or the MWC and Big 12 in Dallas. In fact, Dallas doesn't even have a Big 12 team but it really "owns" the DFW market even though the MWC is represented there. Go with the conference that "owns" the market. This is why I started buying the Directv tournament package. I'm sick of always being given the game that has the Big 12 team.

5. If that doesn't apply to any of the teams, then look for the one with the most regional appeal to your area. For example, in Dalllas that might be a team like LSU or Arkansas. They aren't from Texas or in the Big 12, but they have a lot of fans living in DFW.

Following this order you can accurately guess which game is going to be shown in your market with probably 90% accuracy.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-18-2009 at 02:46 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
in your area: It's pretty simple and 75-90% of the time is obvious which game you will get.

1. Look to see what games are scheduled for the same time slot. There are always going to be 3 or 4 games at the same time.

2. See if any of those 6 or 8 teams is in your TV market, if so, that is 100% guaranteed to be the game you'll get, and they will show you every minute of the game no matter how lopsided it gets. In Utah that would be BYU, Utah or USU. In Tucson, that would be Arizona, etc.

3. If no local market teams are playing, then look for a team in the same state.

4. Next, usually a team from the conference of most interest in your market gets the next priority. In other words, an MWC team for Utah or a Big 12 team for Dallas. Naturally there are multiple conferences sometimes represented in the same market, like the Big Sky or WAC and MWC in Utah or the MWC and Big 12 in Dallas. In fact, Dallas doesn't even have a Big 12 team but it really "owns" the DFW market even though the MWC is represented there. Go with the conference that "owns" the market. This is why I started buying the Directv tournament package. I'm sick of always being given the game that has the Big 12 team.

5. If that doesn't apply to any of the teams, then look for the one with the most regional appeal to your area. For example, in Dalllas that might be a team like LSU or Arkansas. They aren't from Texas or in the Big 12, but they have a lot of fans living in DFW.

Following this order you can accurately guess which game is going to be shown in your market with probably 90% accuracy.
I just watch them online nowadays.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I just watch them online nowadays.
Another more modern brilliant March Madness strategy by CBS.