cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Last night on SportsBeat...

I am sorry if this has been talked about...Unga and Jorgensen were on SportsBeat last night and it was an interesting discussion regarding UCLA. Kirkland (who is not my favorite) asked both of them if they were a little disappointed about playing UCLA in their bowl game. Jorgensen responded with something along the lines of--yeah, we are a bit disappointed as we were hoping to play a better team, a team with a better record.

My wife responded, 'Didn't UCLA beat BYU earlier this year? Doesn't he need to be careful with what he says.' I had to agree...I can understand their disappointment, but doesn't it sound kinda funny when you wish you played a better team considering that team beat you?

I am sure that UCLA is 'thrilled' to have to play a team they already beat this year. Its pretty crummy that the best team in our conference, the Conference Champion, gets to play a .500 team in the bowl game.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP

So if you were playing UNLV in a Bowl game, you would be disappointed?
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone in their right mind think that UCLA now is anywhere near as good as UCLA in September (not that they were that great in September)?

BYU has definitely improved since that game.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

No, I would not want to play UNLV. But, I don't think you can compare UCLA to UNLV. I just found it funny to say that you wanted to play a better team when you already lost to them. It was funny. I just think its a fine line of what Y players can say without looking kinda funny. I would probably just say, 'It would have been nice to play a new team, someone we haven't played already...'

And no, I don't think UCLA was very good when BYU played them at the start of the year...nor were they very good when Utah crushed them. I think BYU will beat them rather easily...2-3 touchdowns.

And yes, I still think it sucks that our conference champ has to play a 6-6 team for their bowl game and that I would agree with the Y players. Its just kind of a funny thing...
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:20 AM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

If you watched the game at all you'd realize that BYU beat themselves. Technically UCLA hasn't actually beat the Cougars yet this season.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:06 AM   #6
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
No, I would not want to play UNLV. But, I don't think you can compare UCLA to UNLV. I just found it funny to say that you wanted to play a better team when you already lost to them. It was funny. I just think its a fine line of what Y players can say without looking kinda funny. I would probably just say, 'It would have been nice to play a new team, someone we haven't played already...'

And no, I don't think UCLA was very good when BYU played them at the start of the year...nor were they very good when Utah crushed them. I think BYU will beat them rather easily...2-3 touchdowns.

And yes, I still think it sucks that our conference champ has to play a 6-6 team for their bowl game and that I would agree with the Y players. Its just kind of a funny thing...
You can't compare UCLA to UNLV because UCLA is a much better team than UNLV. But Pap's hypothetical is valid.

Last edited by Colly Wolly; 12-04-2007 at 01:50 AM.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU best shut up, show up and win.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:36 AM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
BYU best shut up, show up and win.
d'accord, mon ami.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:49 AM   #9
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for the record UCLA chose to have a rematch vs BYU. The LV bowl did not want UCLA, but they were contractually obligated, and they tried to get another team in there and UCLA said no.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:25 AM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
d'accord, mon ami.
This thread has UteStar bragging about his partner's superior football knowledge and creekster speaking French. Weak sauce fellas.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote