cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #51
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Here's my ratings for your efforts.

1. SoCal
2. Indy
3. Cougjunkie
4. Yardtime
5. Spaz
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #52
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

And here's Scout's explanation of how their recruiting rankings are calculated:

ABOUT OUR TEAM RANKINGS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scout.com team football recruiting rankings are based on the Talent, Need and Balance of players committed to that school. We consider only players who have made a Verbal or Soft Verbal commitment to that school. We include high school, prep school and junior college players in our analysis.

Talent - This category reflects the quality of players committed to that school. Teams must recruit difference-makers throughout their class to obtain a high ranking.
Need - This is analysis of whether the team needs are being met at each position. This value is capped per position type (i.e., a team does not receive extra credit for overloading at a position).
Balance - Teams must be represented at every position by players of each body type. Securing balance in every recruiting class is a necessity due to the injuries and attrition that are part of college football.

ABOUT OUR PLAYER EVALUATIONS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scout.com's player evaluations are made by our team of Recruiting Experts, who attend off-season combines and camps on college campuses, go to hundreds of games, and review miles of game film. Starting in June each year, the Scout.com recruiting staff makes monthly updates to our consensus player rankings.

ABOUT OUR EXPERTS
Scout.com's Recruiting Experts work in every region of the country and cover every Division I-A football team and conference. Led by Jamie Newberg and Allen Wallace, our team collectively possesses over 100 years of experience covering college football recruiting. Our staff is universally recognized as the most trusted source of timely recruiting news and in-depth player evaluations.

In other words, Jay, the rankings seem to have subjective factors built into them.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #53
jay santos

Bottom line

1. I think the stars are not perfect but much more credible than BYU fans want to admit.
2. I generally think it's ludicrous when a BYU fan says "I trust Bronco more than the stars".
3. I think we're leaving more talent on the table than we should. I believe our coaching staff has become a touch arrogant with the "you recruit us we don't recruit you" talk. We need to fight harder for the top LDS that want to play the game and be wined and dined and coddled. Everybody else does it, it's part of the game. Once they're in the system, then you tear them down and make them work for it--not before.
4. I can concede a little that BYU's avg recruit is undervalued compared to the avg USC recruit but not as much as the avg BYU fan thinks. And it also means the avg Utah, Boise State, and Oregon State recruit is equally undervalued.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #54
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Here's my ratings for your efforts.

1. SoCal
2. Indy
3. Cougjunkie
4. Yardtime
5. Spaz
I'm glad you put SoCal first because frankly, you aren't worth my time and effort to go the extra mile anymore. My responses are usually just an effort to keep you from claiming I'm ducking you.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #55
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm glad you put SoCal first because frankly, you aren't worth my time and effort to go the extra mile anymore. My responses are usually just an effort to keep you from claiming I'm ducking you.
love you too, indy.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #56
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Bottom line

1. I think the stars are not perfect but much more credible than BYU fans want to admit.
2. I generally think it's ludicrous when a BYU fan says "I trust Bronco more than the stars".
3. I think we're leaving more talent on the table than we should. I believe our coaching staff has become a touch arrogant with the "you recruit us we don't recruit you" talk. We need to fight harder for the top LDS that want to play the game and be wined and dined and coddled. Everybody else does it, it's part of the game. Once they're in the system, then you tear them down and make them work for it--not before.
4. I can concede a little that BYU's avg recruit is undervalued compared to the avg USC recruit but not as much as the avg BYU fan thinks. And it also means the avg Utah, Boise State, and Oregon State recruit is equally undervalued.

When the loss of Kaveinga costs BYU a dozen spots in the Scout.com rankings, it should highlight how thin a margin there is between #40 and #60; especially when this is just one recruit out of the 20 to 25 signed by most teams.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #57
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
When the loss of Kaveinga costs BYU a dozen spots in the Scout.com rankings, it should highlight how thin a margin there is between #40 and #60; especially when this is just one recruit out of the 20 to 25 signed by most teams.
I'm kind of surprised that the signing of Afutiti didn't seem to offset the Kaveinga loss much in the rankings, since he wasn't on the radar before that. It seems nobody at Scout saw the extra 4-star recruit that showed up on LOI day.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #58
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I'm kind of surprised that the signing of Afutiti didn't seem to offset the Kaveinga loss much in the rankings, since he wasn't on the radar before that. It seems nobody at Scout saw the extra 4-star recruit that showed up on LOI day.
Probably because they saw LB as a more dire 'need' position than DL.

Thereby further proving that their evaluation is flawed. The fact that we're thinner at DL than LB should have moved us UP, based on their definitions...
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #59
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bottom line

1. Much less credible than you want to admit. Probably somewhere in the middle between you & those on the opposite end of the spectrum.

2. Go ahead and think that. If I believed Bronco's evaluations were vastly different from what others' would be, had they devoted the necessary time to make an accurate assessment, I might agree with you.

3. I believe we do play the game. I can understand (and even support) the idea of stringing the recruits along longer than, say, Bronco did with Hamani.

4. It's natural for a fan of his team to overvalue his own players compared to those of the competition, so you're probably right. I hope I'm a bit more objective, but again, I have my fandom getting in the way...
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote