cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #11
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I don't see a lot of help at CB or safety.
Rich and Te'o will be a huge improvement I think. Rich is finally getting the time he deserves and give Te'o a spring to get more acquainted with the D and I think we are better at safety. Anything is an improvement from Fowler and Tafuna.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
Next years team needs Leung Weit to be able to contribute right away. Hopefully he and a healthy Hooks can man the middle next year.
I don't see it unless the kid has NFL capability. Even Bryan Kehl wasn't that good in 2005 and in hindsight what if BYU had redshirted him in 2005? If this defense had Nixon back at the weakside and Kehl on the strongside Tafuna and Fowler would look much better than they are.

I understand that BYU may have no choice but to play Leung Wei next year but I think expecting him to be much of an upgrade to what the Y currently has is a stretch. What if BYU redshirts him and then has a studly MLB to build around for two years while the offense rebuilds after Collie, Hall, Pitta and Unga all move on.

I understand that Manti Teo wants to play strongside OLB if he comes to BYU. If he comes to BYU and Alissa doesn't head on a mission, why not consider moving Vic So'oto to ILB and play Teo and Alissa at OLB with Clawson and move Vic to ILB? I like Vic's mass over the lighter Baumen and Doman and Hooks and So'oto would be like night and day athletically compared to Baumen and Doman.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #13
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

I understand that Manti Teo wants to play strongside OLB if he comes to BYU. If he comes to BYU and Alissa doesn't head on a mission, why not consider moving Vic So'oto to ILB and play Teo and Alissa at OLB with Clawson and move Vic to ILB? I like Vic's mass over the lighter Baumen and Doman and Hooks and So'oto would be like night and day athletically compared to Baumen and Doman.
I have thought about that as well. Vic is also a much better athlete than either of the 2 guys inside right now and bigger. I wouldn't mind seeing a Hooks and So'oto middle next year as well. I could see that if Manti signs. Then you have Manti, Clawson and Alisa if he sticks around at outside backer. Tuitama and Grant Nelson can provide some depth there as well. Clawson didn't play to well on Saturday by the way.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is Teo the safety not going on a mission.

Wrubbell hinted that Bronco is open to recruiting some JC cornerbacks. I would really like to see that happen.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Is Teo the safety not going on a mission.

Wrubbell hinted that Bronco is open to recruiting some JC cornerbacks. I would really like to see that happen.
As of now Shiloah Te'o doesn't plan on going on a mission, but you never know with how these kids change their minds.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #16
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Don't forget, players often see vast improvement between their 1st & 2nd years starting. Don't count out Howard (who played MUCH better v CSU than previously) seeing a Robinson-esque improvement and becoming a serviceable starter at CB next year.

The same with Bradley and/or Johnson. AND, at LB, don't be surprised to see Bauman & Doman playing much more like Poppinga/Staffieri than they seem able to this year.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the SAME players next year play, with MUCH different results.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote