cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why do women like/care about football?

Posted this on CB...so, for you that don't frequent there any longer...

I was wondering about this. Football is a game that they don't play, and yet there are thousands of females in the stands.

So, thinking from a guys point of view, and having played back in the day (HS only)...yet men 1) usually have played football some, or alot; 2) understand the physicality of the game and how hard it is to play 3) understand the strategy and coaching; 4) understand the rules; 5) can relate to the discipline needed etc; ...and on and on.

Without the understanding of those types of things...it would be hard for me to be a fan of any sport...not having experienced it or played it.

Kind of like hockey for me. I think I would have loooved to play hockey. Been to a few NHL games and thought they were fun...but, I'm not passionate about it, nor do I seek out info, or make a point to support it.

So...why do females like football?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
Posted this on CB...so, for you that don't frequent there any longer...

I was wondering about this. Football is a game that they don't play, and yet there are thousands of females in the stands.

So, thinking from a guys point of view, and having played back in the day (HS only)...yet men 1) usually have played football some, or alot; 2) understand the physicality of the game and how hard it is to play 3) understand the strategy and coaching; 4) understand the rules; 5) can relate to the discipline needed etc; ...and on and on.

Without the understanding of those types of things...it would be hard for me to be a fan of any sport...not having experienced it or played it.

Kind of like hockey for me. I think I would have loooved to play hockey. Been to a few NHL games and thought they were fun...but, I'm not passionate about it, nor do I seek out info, or make a point to support it.

So...why do females like football?
I am pretty sure I would enjoy a good pole dance even though I have never done one or plan on doing so. I don't find it hard to find someone enjoys watching something they have never done.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
The Borg

Ha! Ok 71, you have me there....but you pulled in "sex" and the "event" rather than just a sport!

Do you find you're as passionate about women's softball as you are about football? Women's gymnastics vs. mens basketball?

I'm just saying, it seems to me that things you've played/experienced are much more likely to have you wrapped up as a fan when your playing days are over, vs. a sport ie. hockey, that you may not have played before.

And..then, since women have not played, experienced and most likely can't really understand the intricacies of football...it must be a real learned love of a game and athletic achievements.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ha! Ok 71, you have me there....but you pulled in "sex" and the "event" rather than just a sport!

Do you find you're as passionate about women's softball as you are about football? Women's gymnastics vs. mens basketball?

I'm just saying, it seems to me that things you've played/experienced are much more likely to have you wrapped up as a fan when your playing days are over, vs. a sport ie. hockey, that you may not have played before.

And..then, since women have not played, experienced and most likely can't really understand the intricacies of football...it must be a real learned love of a game and athletic achievements.
I would have to give it some real thought. I played baseball and football in HS and baseball in college. I really love playing golf now. I would say the only sport I really enjoy watching though is college football. In my case then my attachment has nothing to do with the sport I played the best or the one I love now. For me, as a spectator sport it is the one I like the most. I have never analyzed why.

I also think the vast majority of college football fans are men.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I'm all for the organization of K.W.O.O.F .....Keep Women Out Of Football
Old 08-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
The Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I'm all for the organization of K.W.O.O.F .....Keep Women Out Of Football
Ha! Not me!

I think there's something sexy about a woman in a football jersey!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Ha! Not me!

I think there's something sexy about a woman in a football jersey!
Well true,,,so long as I can get it off of her.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-13-2007 at 06:55 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not a diehard fan, but I appreciate the athleticism and some of the strategy of a good game. I was pretty emotionally invested in the last BYU/Utah game.

In grade school, my best friend was obsessed with the Chicago Bears. She had me watch some games with her, and I became entranced with Walter Payton. In college, I got recruited by a soccer friend to play on her intramural flag football team. I had a lot of fun learning all the plays, and it probably helped me enjoy watching the game more. I guess my point is, even though *I'm* not an expert, it's not inconceivable that there are women who have a passion for it. However, I'm sure a lot of the women at games are there for social reasons.

Football reminds me of a war. Two coaches as generals, calling plays, sending in the troops to battle.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
The Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Football reminds me of a war. Two coaches as generals, calling plays, sending in the troops to battle.
Good analagy Farrah. I see your point. I would bet that it helped you enjoy the game after you played it a bit.

Don't get me wrong...I love female football fans. I've exerted an all out effort to convert my three daughters to diehard, lifelong Cougar football fans.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

I learned my lesson about taking a gal to a football game with me.

I meet someone really cool, she's lots of fun...and she keeps on bugging me..."I want to go to a game with you...please...pretty please....blah, blah, blah...."

I finally relent and say fine,,,but that she has to be willing to agree to a couple of rules:

#1 -- She cannot make me late.

#2 -- She must wear blue. I don't care if it's not something BYU,,,so long as it's blue.

She agrees....and then of course the nightmare begins.

I go to pick her up....and she's still in bed. I wake her up....and then she takes FOREVER to get ready. She keeps on changing her jeans worried which ones are going to match with the blue top she's chosen to wear for the game.

I'm being patient....REALLY trying to be patient,,,,,trying really hard......finally I knock on her door..."Hey....we need to get on the road"....her response..."Okay...I'll be out in a sec..."

Then she comes out...."How do I look?"......My response..."You look great."

We get in the car....then she does the..."Oh I forgot my hair pin.."

"Your forgot your what?" "My hairpin so that I can put my hair up during the game.."

She jumps out of the car...and I wait leaving the motor running. 5 minutes pass by,,,10 minutes pass by,,,15 minutes pass by.....I turn the car off and go inside to see what's taking so long, and heaven forbid...tragedy of all tragedies occurs...she can't find it......Then she starts wondering again whether she's wearing the right jeans again, so she starts changing again...then on the way out I notice she's wearing high heels.......I say...."Your feet are going to get REALLY sore....we're just going to a football game.....you might want to wear some sneakers or flip flops instead."

She re-buffs that idea........About 2 hours after showing up her at place....we finally get on the road.....halfway down to provo she starts complaining about how hungry she is. I'm still trying to be patient. I tell her to hold on for just a bit as we're almost at the tailgate that we were supposed to be at 2 hours ago. She gives me a dirty look.

We get to the tailgate...I introduce her to my friends....for the first 15 min or so things are going great...she's fitting in just fine, we're all eating, hanging out and having a good time. Time comes for us to pack things up and head over to the stadium.

She starts to complain she has to go pee really bad. I tell her....we'll go once we're inside the stadium. She stops dead in her tracks as if the look of horror on her face is beyond anything she's ever comprehended and goes..."I'm not going to bathroom in a place where there's so many people...that's disgusting." I say..."well there's a burger joint right there and there's a gas station right there.....take your choice." She refuses insisting that "Those places are too dirty.."

Now I'm finally starting to lose my patience with her......and I say...."Well there's a bush right over there if you wanna go squat down" She gets mad at me and starts to cry a little bit and says..."Hey...I'm trying okay....don't give me attitude..." I roll my eyes and then say...."okay...what do you want to do? Kickoff is in 15 minutes."

I tell her about a Macey's grocery store about a ten minute walk away just through the neighborhood across the street.....amazingly she's okay with this but wasn't okay with going potty in the stadium, burger joint or gas station......at this point I'm so frazzled with her irrational thought process regarding going to pee...I'm just like "fine....let's go".

We walk over...she does her business and we start walking over to the stadium. We get in with about 5 minutes left in the first quarter. I'm already in a bad mood and she can tell. She starts doing the lame pussyfoot thing..."honey....you mad at me?" I just tell her..."Look..let's just enjoy the game and have a good time,,okay?"

Things go fine til about 10 min left in the 3rd quarter....She says..."I have to go pee again.." I say..."Okay.....I'll still be here." She goes..."Okay I'll be back in a bit."

Guys,,,,I shit you not.....she walked all of the way out of the stadium, down the street and back to the Grocery store to go to the bathroom again.

It was nearly the end of the game and she hadn't shown back up...I'm calling her on her cell phone...she's not answering and I'm obviously worried, but then thinking at the same time that "Well she went to school here, I'm sure she just ran into some old friends, girlfriends,,,whatever and is just chatting away..." I'm thinking..that's fine by me....I can enjoy the game without her asking me every 10 seconds "Why do they line up like that?" "Why are the uniforms different colors from the pants and shirts?"

Nope...turns out....the reason why she didn't show back up til the end of the 4th quarter.....was because her friend called her on her cell phone with a "fashion emergency" and apparently she got into a huge argument with her roomate over her borrowing one of her purses. And also because her feet were hurting her from wearing high heels to a football game. Of course this is where saying "I told you so" only pisses her off.

She showed back up with 45 seconds left in the game.

The whole drive home I barely uttererd a word while listening to the post game show. She hits a button and puts on music and goes..."I'm sick of football...no more today." I hit the button back to the sports station and quietly say..."Honey.....now do you see why I don't bring a girl to a football game?"

And of course now I'm the asshole for the rest of the evening because I was honest. lol.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-13-2007 at 07:20 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote