cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 09:57 AM   #21
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I'm all for the organization of K.W.O.O.F .....Keep Women Out Of Football
so you will never be caught accompanying a lady to a football game ??
Old 08-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #22
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife has no real interest in the game, except she loves going to games just for the atmosphere. She's always fun to have around and she makes some pretty funny comments. The opening game of every season seems like Groundhog Day when I have to re-explain the rules.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #23
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

My older brother played football in high school and college, so I really got into the sport as a kid, at first, mostly to impress him and so I could know what the heck he was doing during the games. From about fifth grade until my sophomore year of high school, I would watch hours and hours of football on TV. I read the sports section of the newspaper and checked out a bunch of player biographies, etc. from the library. If you read my 8th grade yearbook you would know that my goal in life then was to become the first female NFL referee.

I had an impressive knowledge of the game at the time and probably would have kicked many of your butts in NFL trivia. But at about 15 or 16, I got too busy with school and friends that my game watching tapered off dramatically. Plus, none of the cute soccer players at my school were impressed with my football knowledge.

Today, I can watch a game and understand what is going on, but there are other things I'd rather do. If someone invites us over to watch a game, I love to go and socialize, but I no longer pay close attention to all the plays.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #24
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Don't you mean to reverse that? If this girl was as cool as my wife?

And no, my wife is an only child. Sorry.
lol..yes my bad. I meant the other way around.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #25
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
so you will never be caught accompanying a lady to a football game ??
if she's really into it and actually understands what's going on while not being aggravatingly high maintenance like that one girl I took, then yeah I'd take a girl to a football game again.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #26
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I learned my lesson about taking a gal to a football game with me.

I meet someone really cool, she's lots of fun...and she keeps on bugging me..."I want to go to a game with you...please...pretty please....blah, blah, blah...."

I finally relent and say fine,,,but that she has to be willing to agree to a couple of rules:

#1 -- She cannot make me late.

#2 -- She must wear blue. I don't care if it's not something BYU,,,so long as it's blue.

She agrees....and then of course the nightmare begins.

I go to pick her up....and she's still in bed. I wake her up....and then she takes FOREVER to get ready. She keeps on changing her jeans worried which ones are going to match with the blue top she's chosen to wear for the game.

I'm being patient....REALLY trying to be patient,,,,,trying really hard......finally I knock on her door..."Hey....we need to get on the road"....her response..."Okay...I'll be out in a sec..."

Then she comes out...."How do I look?"......My response..."You look great."

We get in the car....then she does the..."Oh I forgot my hair pin.."

"Your forgot your what?" "My hairpin so that I can put my hair up during the game.."

She jumps out of the car...and I wait leaving the motor running. 5 minutes pass by,,,10 minutes pass by,,,15 minutes pass by.....I turn the car off and go inside to see what's taking so long, and heaven forbid...tragedy of all tragedies occurs...she can't find it......Then she starts wondering again whether she's wearing the right jeans again, so she starts changing again...then on the way out I notice she's wearing high heels.......I say...."Your feet are going to get REALLY sore....we're just going to a football game.....you might want to wear some sneakers or flip flops instead."

She re-buffs that idea........About 2 hours after showing up her at place....we finally get on the road.....halfway down to provo she starts complaining about how hungry she is. I'm still trying to be patient. I tell her to hold on for just a bit as we're almost at the tailgate that we were supposed to be at 2 hours ago. She gives me a dirty look.

We get to the tailgate...I introduce her to my friends....for the first 15 min or so things are going great...she's fitting in just fine, we're all eating, hanging out and having a good time. Time comes for us to pack things up and head over to the stadium.

She starts to complain she has to go pee really bad. I tell her....we'll go once we're inside the stadium. She stops dead in her tracks as if the look of horror on her face is beyond anything she's ever comprehended and goes..."I'm not going to bathroom in a place where there's so many people...that's disgusting." I say..."well there's a burger joint right there and there's a gas station right there.....take your choice." She refuses insisting that "Those places are too dirty.."

Now I'm finally starting to lose my patience with her......and I say...."Well there's a bush right over there if you wanna go squat down" She gets mad at me and starts to cry a little bit and says..."Hey...I'm trying okay....don't give me attitude..." I roll my eyes and then say...."okay...what do you want to do? Kickoff is in 15 minutes."

I tell her about a Macey's grocery store about a ten minute walk away just through the neighborhood across the street.....amazingly she's okay with this but wasn't okay with going potty in the stadium, burger joint or gas station......at this point I'm so frazzled with her irrational thought process regarding going to pee...I'm just like "fine....let's go".

We walk over...she does her business and we start walking over to the stadium. We get in with about 5 minutes left in the first quarter. I'm already in a bad mood and she can tell. She starts doing the lame pussyfoot thing..."honey....you mad at me?" I just tell her..."Look..let's just enjoy the game and have a good time,,okay?"

Things go fine til about 10 min left in the 3rd quarter....She says..."I have to go pee again.." I say..."Okay.....I'll still be here." She goes..."Okay I'll be back in a bit."

Guys,,,,I shit you not.....she walked all of the way out of the stadium, down the street and back to the Grocery store to go to the bathroom again.

It was nearly the end of the game and she hadn't shown back up...I'm calling her on her cell phone...she's not answering and I'm obviously worried, but then thinking at the same time that "Well she went to school here, I'm sure she just ran into some old friends, girlfriends,,,whatever and is just chatting away..." I'm thinking..that's fine by me....I can enjoy the game without her asking me every 10 seconds "Why do they line up like that?" "Why are the uniforms different colors from the pants and shirts?"

Nope...turns out....the reason why she didn't show back up til the end of the 4th quarter.....was because her friend called her on her cell phone with a "fashion emergency" and apparently she got into a huge argument with her roomate over her borrowing one of her purses. And also because her feet were hurting her from wearing high heels to a football game. Of course this is where saying "I told you so" only pisses her off.

She showed back up with 45 seconds left in the game.

The whole drive home I barely uttererd a word while listening to the post game show. She hits a button and puts on music and goes..."I'm sick of football...no more today." I hit the button back to the sports station and quietly say..."Honey.....now do you see why I don't bring a girl to a football game?"

And of course now I'm the asshole for the rest of the evening because I was honest. lol.

Holy crap! Nevermind a football game...how do you go ANYWHERE with someone like that? Most of the issues in your story have very little to do with the fact that you went to a football game. Find someone else fast!
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
My older brother played football in high school and college, so I really got into the sport as a kid, at first, mostly to impress him and so I could know what the heck he was doing during the games. From about fifth grade until my sophomore year of high school, I would watch hours and hours of football on TV. I read the sports section of the newspaper and checked out a bunch of player biographies, etc. from the library. If you read my 8th grade yearbook you would know that my goal in life then was to become the first female NFL referee.

I had an impressive knowledge of the game at the time and probably would have kicked many of your butts in NFL trivia. But at about 15 or 16, I got too busy with school and friends that my game watching tapered off dramatically. Plus, none of the cute soccer players at my school were impressed with my football knowledge.

Today, I can watch a game and understand what is going on, but there are other things I'd rather do. If someone invites us over to watch a game, I love to go and socialize, but I no longer pay close attention to all the plays.
What is interesting about these discussions is not the lack of insight many women display in regards to football, but the pedastal that men put themselves on it for being spectators.

I'm as big a spectator as the next guy, but it seems odd that guys who may never have donned shoulder pads are now the world's greatest experts and he-men because they are the world's greatest spectators. I have more fun discussing the game with former coaches or college players than I do with the average fan. OTOH, anybody who enjoys the pageantry of the game, male or female is a good companion for a game.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #28
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Holy crap! Nevermind a football game...how do you go ANYWHERE with someone like that? Most of the issues in your story have very little to do with the fact that you went to a football game. Find someone else fast!
It was a long time ago.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #29
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
OTOH, anybody who enjoys the pageantry of the game, male or female is a good companion for a game.
Finally - thank you! I have been waiting for the voice of reason to appear on this thread. I enjoy the competitiveness, athleticism, strategy and overall atmosphere. Just as there are men who do not enjoy football, there are women who do. Thankfully, we are all different.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:54 PM   #30
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Finally - thank you! I have been waiting for the voice of reason to appear on this thread. I enjoy the competitiveness, athleticism, strategy and overall atmosphere. Just as there are men who do not enjoy football, there are women who do. Thankfully, we are all different.
It's not exactly a stretch by any sense of the imagination to say that most women do not enjoy football.