cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Come on. Who cares about the Sears Cup? We are talking football.

Perhaps if we really were a BCS-caliber team, we would win more OOC games and always go undefeated in such a crappy conference.
I am not talking about BCS-caliber team (sorry if I said that). I am talking about the fact we are a BCS-caliber program. We have a diversified strong athletic program in a wide diversity of sports, that conferences like the pac-10 care about.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Neither would Baylor. What's your point?

BYU is in a really weak, bad conference. The fact that there are heated arguments on CB about which conference is stronger WAC vs. MWC, should tell you something.
Baby steps Mike. Bronco knows he has to get back to at least winning the MWC. Once he gets there and BYU goes out and asks for more money, I think Holmoe and Bronco know they will have to deliver some national attention stuff.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Neither would Baylor. What's your point?

BYU is in a really weak, bad conference. The fact that there are heated arguments on CB about which conference is stronger WAC vs. MWC, should tell you something.
The point is BYU being a BCS caliber school means nothing, to me.

BYU is in a situation that it is likely to never get out of. I don't think it is something that they can control so I see no reason to allow it to cause me to pull string. I will evaluate BYU by what it can do with what it has. I like what I see out of Mendenhall. The overall program has not looked this sound in a very long time.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am not talking about BCS-caliber team (sorry if I said that). I am talking about the fact we are a BCS-caliber program. We have a diversified strong athletic program in a wide diversity of sports, that conferences like the pac-10 care about.
BYU is never going to the Pac-10 and you know why. No reason to even spend too much time thinking about it.

Besides that with all your wanting BYU to be genuinely bigtime, you should be smart enough to know that BYU's impediments will consistently ensure that it will never compete well in the Pac-10. I don't think BYU can recruit, sign and keep in school enough talented skill players to consistently compete with the Pac-10. They will have their good years, but BYU fans clamoring for the Pac-10 should enjoy winning an ugly game against UNM.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
The point is BYU being a BCS caliber school means nothing, to me.

BYU is in a situation that it is likely to never get out of. I don't think it is something that they can control so I see no reason to allow it to cause me to pull string. I will evaluate BYU by what it can do with what it has. I like what I see out of Mendenhall. The overall program has not looked this sound in a very long time.

Agreed. Now if the urban conversion ratio would just accelerate, focusing more upon potential corner backs, receivers and running backs, things would even look better. Could you please your Arrington connections to put in a good word for more missionaries to Chicago, Detroit, DC and Philly, a few more in Miami and Jacksonville?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
BYU is never going to the Pac-10 and you know why. No reason to even spend too much time thinking about it.

Besides that with all your wanting BYU to be genuinely bigtime, you should be smart enough to know that BYU's impediments will consistently ensure that it will never compete well in the Pac-10. I don't think BYU can recruit, sign and keep in school enough talented skill players to consistently compete with the Pac-10. They will have their good years, but BYU fans clamoring for the Pac-10 should enjoy winning an ugly game against UNM.
Money will decide if BYU is invited to a BCS conference. Nothing else.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #17
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I agree with Mike on this one. Are we supposed to be content with competing for the MWC crown every year? BYU should win it every year. The MWC sucks.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #18
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I agree with Mike on this one. Are we supposed to be content with competing for the MWC crown every year? BYU should win it every year. The MWC sucks.
And yet, since we don't ... what does that say about us, hmm?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #19
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

What's the matter with you wusses? We won the MWC title outright last year and we are going to win it again this year. Get a grip, people.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #20
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
And yet, since we don't ... what does that say about us, hmm?
That we are not a BCS caliber program which is where I guess I differ in my opinion from Mike.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote