cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 11:52 PM   #11
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
This continues to worry me. I'm excited that he seems to have figured out that running our gigantic backs on these cutesy draw-traps isn't playing to their strengths, but I still find the blocking schemes and our complete lack of misdirection plays to be very troubling. Even our receiver routes seems to be pretty pedestrian and predictable, so I hope that he is just keeping the play book closed for the benefit of the young talent.

Anae's offense can certainly be very effective when he's got really good players, but the ability to adjust when your players are underperforming seems to be the mark of a great coach, and the lack of misdirection and poor blocking is liable to get Hall killed.
Amen. I don't know if there is a defense in the league that could stop our run if we were dedicated to it. Play action roll outs would be huge. Not to mention the fact that our O line would wear down the mediocre talent in the MWC. I realize Anae's offense puts up tons of yardage, but there are way too many turnovers and sacks. It sucks to move the ball 60 yards downfield only to throw a pick or get sacked and fumble.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #12
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Amen. I don't know if there is a defense in the league that could stop our run if we were dedicated to it. Play action roll outs would be huge. Not to mention the fact that our O line would wear down the mediocre talent in the MWC. I realize Anae's offense puts up tons of yardage, but there are way too many turnovers and sacks. It sucks to move the ball 60 yards downfield only to throw a pick or get sacked and fumble.
Yea I forgot to mention that. Even if he insists on trying to single-block the one guy that is killing us, at least roll the QB away from him! Especially vs UCLA that would have been huge. Davis almost single-handedly won that game for them. Roll-outs also help young QBs develop by narrowing the options. Check route A, check route B, run if you can, if not, throw it away.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:42 AM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It seems like WRs don't exist in this offense. It's either the check down or the TE in the middle of the field. It's like watching a very bad version of Romo.

I think Hall will be special, but he's obviously got a ways to go. Luckily he plays in a terrible conference, and plays for fans who don't expect to beat BCS in non-conf. so he will be just fine.
Things I noticed from watching the game in the endzone, which provides a completely different perspective.

Hall does lock in on a receiver and needs to check off better.

Hall frequently ignored the open receiver and lucked out that Pitta was taller than those defenders covering him.

Hall ignored the WRs and underthrew them.

We do not use screens, motion enough to free up WRs.

We really need more speed at wideout, and at RB for next year so that the end run can mean something.

Despite Unga's good play, the doesn't always see the alternative hole that is there.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:55 AM   #14
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you really bitching about the play calling? I give Anae all the credit in the world, it takes guts to call 10 straight running plays when you are primarily a pass first offense. Also to address a few other concerns:

Mike mentioned misdirection: We ran misdirection quite a bit but it is very subtle we will fake behind one guard and go behind the other, we do not run any counter plays or anything like that, but we do run quite a bit of misdirection.

WR screens: we ran 3 of them to Collie, also the play where we put the reciever in motion and swing it out to him is the equivalent of a swing pass (we ran it a lot ot Harline last year) so if you include that we ran 5 total.

When you are getting 5 yards a carry you run the damn ball and dont stop until they proven that they can stop you.

A few things i noticed on Halls ints and a few of his passes.

1. First ball he threw to Collie on the post corner, Austin was wide open he had turned the DB around and Hall missed him badly.

2. His pick that ended up at the 1, Matt Allen ran a post and their was a LB underneath (who made the pick) a safety over the top, and a corner trailing the play by about a yard, it was a very bad decision and Hall would have needed to make a perfect pass.

3. The one where he got hit and through the pick was still his fault imo because he held the ball way to long and you could see the blitz was coming, he needed to tuck it and take the sack or get rid of it a lot sooner.

4. The last pick was a horrible decision, Reed was blanketed and Hall tried to thread the needle.

Also one more side note, i think Sanford had some serious cash on this game, how else do you explain the decision to go for 2 and then kick it deep.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:03 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

When I say screen, I actually mean a play where the OL lets the DL through.

Just to clarify things. A quick hitter to the WR is not what I mean.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:06 AM   #16
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Are you really bitching about the play calling? I give Anae all the credit in the world, it takes guts to call 10 straight running plays when you are primarily a pass first offense. Also to address a few other concerns:

Mike mentioned misdirection: We ran misdirection quite a bit but it is very subtle we will fake behind one guard and go behind the other, we do not run any counter plays or anything like that, but we do run quite a bit of misdirection.

WR screens: we ran 3 of them to Collie, also the play where we put the reciever in motion and swing it out to him is the equivalent of a swing pass (we ran it a lot ot Harline last year) so if you include that we ran 5 total.

When you are getting 5 yards a carry you run the damn ball and dont stop until they proven that they can stop you.

1. First ball he threw to Collie on the post corner, Austin was wide open he had turned the DB around and Hall missed him badly.

2. His pick that ended up at the 1, Matt Allen ran a post and their was a LB underneath (who made the pick) a safety over the top, and a corner trailing the play by about a yard, it was a very bad decision and Hall would have needed to make a perfect pass.

3. The one where he got hit and through the pick was still his fault imo because he held the ball way to long and you could see the blitz was coming, he needed to tuck it and take the sack or get rid of it a lot sooner.

4. The last pick was a horrible decision, Reed was blanketed and Hall tried to thread the needle.

Also one more side note, i think Sanford had some serious cash on this game, how else do you explain the decision to go for 2 and then kick it deep.
I don't think anyone is complaining about the second half vs UNLV. That was good stuff, except for when he still insisted on passing, which led to yet another pick.

I like that we are able to get so much yardage in so simple an offense, it just seems that screens would help us out. We do run the occasional WR screen, but WR screens are much more difficult to execute than RB screens, as demonstrated by our WR screens failing every time. I agree that swing passes can act like screens if they're on a jail-break, but I don't see what's so bad about running actual screens -- they are an absolutely essential part of a pass-happy offense. If we continue to find success in the running game, the point will be largely moot, as that threat will make the DEs think twice before speed rushing, but he's clearly shown an unwillingness to call screens even when passing is all we do.

Last edited by woot; 10-15-2007 at 01:09 AM. Reason: made an extra point.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:13 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If you are a BYU fan, the game last night was pathetic. It's only saving virtue was that it was a W.

Let's not forget who we were playing. UNLV. A team that we scored 100+ against in the last two seasons.

I doubt I will watch the EWU game. I like BYU, but not enough to watch practice for 3 hours.

Maybe I'm spoiled, maybe I'm expecting too much. But ugly football against terrible opponents in games that about 5,000 people are watching on the planet--it's just not compelling. If we played ugly and squeezed out a win against Wash state, then maybe it's interesting, assuming it keeps us in the pac-10 title hunt. Ugh. This game was a step back for the team. Anae had to take the ball out of Max Hall's hands.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:13 AM   #18
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
When I say screen, I actually mean a play where the OL lets the DL through.

Just to clarify things. A quick hitter to the WR is not what I mean.
So then we did run at least 2 of those, one on 3rd and goal and one where Collie ran about 65 yards across the field to gain 1 yard. That is exactly what Texas Tech runs.

One reason we may not run screens to the backs is becuase of halls size, when you let the d-line come free up the middle (or after a bump) you have to dump the ball over their heads, Hall may not be big tall enough to do that.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:15 AM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post

Great anaylsis and couldn't agree more.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:18 AM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This is the 2nd time, arch I have heard from someone who went to the game, that Hall was consistently failing to see WRs open down the field. The other time was a guy who was in the pressbox with Doman. doman was screaming the whole time.