cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 01:18 AM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

You will notice that all the defenders of Anae have not addressed my point that no one is even remotely concerned that Anae will be lured away.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:30 AM   #22
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I can't understand the lack of screen plays in our offense. I don't believe I have seen a single screen yet this year, even when facing teams that are blitzing on virtually every down. I think the total lack of screen plays almost caused us to lose to Utah last year when they were blitzing every down.
its funny ... Utah hasn't run a traditional screen pass since 2002 (honestly)
Old 10-15-2007, 01:33 AM   #23
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You will notice that all the defenders of Anae have not addressed my point that no one is even remotely concerned that Anae will be lured away.
Fine with me. Anae is a very servicable OC who has been able to put together a much better offense than his predecessor who, oddly enough, has never had a problem finding a job.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:35 AM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

More than the lack of screens, is the lack of play action.

I think with Anae, it's sort of like we hired Leach's B student. He gets the main concepts, he can work hard, but he is no genius. He'll put in a solid performance, but rarely will you come away thinking you have had a brush with greatness.

This may be to BYU's advantage actually. They get a consisently good (not great) OC who will stick around for a long time. If Anae were that A student, now after year 3, we would be talking about him being recruited away. It may be that happens at the end of this year. But I doubt it. I can't imagine where. I think eventually Anae will leave for a HC job, but not particularly big-time. Mid to low-tier WAC after two or three more years at BYU.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:39 AM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Fine with me. Anae is a very servicable OC who has been able to put together a much better offense than his predecessor who, oddly enough, has never had a problem finding a job.
This is where Indy jumps in and points out the differences in personnel as well as strength of schedule.

Before Crowton took over, tell me about Doman. Are you going to tell me that Doman was a self-made QB?

Although Beck is now a mormon God, this wasn't so clear even the first few games of his senior year.

If I were coach at A&M and I had to choose between Crowton and Anae for my OC, I would go with Crowton. And I guess 95% of coaches would make the same decision.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 10-15-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:45 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
...Although Beck is now a mormon God, this wasn't so clear even the first few games of his senior year....
Correction - He's a zoob God. Not all Mormons praise him.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 AM   #27
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
If I were coach at A&M and I had to choose between Crowton and Anae for my OC, I would go with Crowton. And I get 95% of coaches would make the same decision.
Whether the coach at A&M or any other school would prefer GC or RA is completely irrelevant. They both have track records at BYU and Anae's is better.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:48 AM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Beck's slow adjustment to college football (many will fairly argue that a poor supporing cast was the reason) makes me guess he will also adjust poorly to the NFL. I'm interested to see if this will be the case or not.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:50 AM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Whether the coach at A&M or any other school would prefer GC or RA is completely irrelevant. They both have track records at BYU and Anae's is better.
In your opinion. To me it's apples and oranges. Crowton has a track record of many years in many different situations. Anae has one year where the team did well with a 2nd round NFL qb, that took his biggest lumps when Anae wasn't around.

If you are telling me that the opinion of all other football coaches in the country doesn't matter in your assessment, I think you have said enough already.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:59 AM   #30
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:

If you are telling me that the opinion of all other football coaches in the country doesn't matter in your assessment, I think you have said enough already.
I'm curious as to why you're so confident in your assessment of what the A&M coach would do. Do you subscribe to his insider letter?