cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 02:08 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The reason I am so depressed about BYU

has little to do with BYU.

I'm depressed because the conference SUCKS, IS GETTING WORSE, AND WILL ALWAYS SUCK.

Man is it depressing.

Not only are the games not on TV, but the sad truth is that I DON'T WANT TO WATCH THEM ANYWAY. I don't care about any team in the conference, and neither does anyone else that aren't alumni.

We can win out the season and not even know if we are a good team!!!!!!

It's a good thing I am not in charge of things. I would leave the conference, and announce it in the post-game press conference after Utah.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:13 AM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike, the weird thing is that it seems you're just figuring this out. I've known this since the 80's.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #3
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

It's hard to disagree. Even if they get the MTN distributed nationally in HD next season, the conference is still lame as ever. I don't have any faith in the leadership of BYU, but if they have any concern for the wellbeing of the program, they'll push for a conference realignment and a new TV deal at the very least before next season.

Even then, the fact is that BYU will forever be at a disadvantage unless they can get into a BCS conference, and I frankly wouldn't blame a conference full of research institutions for not wanting to accept a school that forces hair styles onto its students into their conference.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
has little to do with BYU.

I'm depressed because the conference SUCKS, IS GETTING WORSE, AND WILL ALWAYS SUCK.

Man is it depressing.

Not only are the games not on TV, but the sad truth is that I DON'T WANT TO WATCH THEM ANYWAY. I don't care about any team in the conference, and neither does anyone else that aren't alumni.

We can win out the season and not even know if we are a good team!!!!!!

It's a good thing I am not in charge of things. I would leave the conference, and announce it in the post-game press conference after Utah.
Well, as much as you post about A&M, why don't you just give up and move over to a big school in a big time league and be done with BYU once and for all and stop pissing and moaning about this on a daily basis.

Holy shit, you're worse than BYU71.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Mike, the weird thing is that it seems you're just figuring this out. I've known this since the 80's.
This is what I don't understand. Where the heck has mike been all this time? Even in the year we won a national championship, everyone made fun of the team because we played such a lousy schedule.

Also, if we were to "leave" the conference, where would we go?

Stop being frustrated that BYU plays a crappy schedule. Just be glad that we enjoy a level of dominance amongst piss poor competition. The second we get an invite to join a BCS conference, we will. Until then, you should be more frustrated that A&M plays in a better, respected conference but usually underachieves.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:09 AM   #6
Indy Coug

Mwc 2007 > Wac 1984
Old 10-23-2007, 03:20 AM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Mwc 2007 > Wac 1984
Harmon has forced this down our throats for so long I think we accept it without question. I'm not so sure.

1984 Massey computer model

6 BYU
29 UNLV
34 AFA
50 TCU
62 Hawaii
69 Utah
76 UTEP
82 SDSU
84 New Mexico
89 Wyoming
95 CSU

2007 avg computer ranking

37 BYU
46 AFA
52 New Mexico
53 Utah
61 Wyoming
69 TCU
95 SDSU
102 CSU
103 UNLV
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 AM   #8
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Harmon has forced this down our throats for so long I think we accept it without question. I'm not so sure.

1984 Massey computer model

6 BYU
29 UNLV
34 AFA
50 TCU
62 Hawaii
69 Utah
76 UTEP
82 SDSU
84 New Mexico
89 Wyoming
95 CSU

2007 avg computer ranking

37 BYU
46 AFA
52 New Mexico
53 Utah
61 Wyoming
69 TCU
95 SDSU
102 CSU
103 UNLV
UNLV and TCU weren't in the WAC in 1984. Furthermore, there were fewer teams in 1-A in 1984 than today.

UTEP was 76th in 1984? They went 2-9 and allowed more than twice as many points as they scored.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data....php?year=1980

Last edited by Indy Coug; 10-23-2007 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:33 AM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
UNLV and TCU weren't in the WAC in 1984. Furthermore, there were fewer teams in 1-A in 1984 than today.

UTEP was 76th in 1984? They went 2-9 and allowed more than twice as many points as they scored.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data....php?year=1980
Yes I'm aware who was in the WAC in '84. I put them in there for informational purposes. I believe there were 102 teams in D1A in 1984 compared to 120 today, but I could be wrong. If you're doing an analysis with hard data, I'd guess you could probably show that 80's WAC was weaker than MWC today, but I doubt it would be as significant as Harmon/Crowton/that whole apologist gang would tell you.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:36 AM   #10
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Yes I'm aware who was in the WAC in '84. I put them in there for informational purposes. I believe there were 102 teams in D1A in 1984 compared to 120 today, but I could be wrong. If you're doing an analysis with hard data, I'd guess you could probably show that 80's WAC was weaker than MWC today, but I doubt it would be as significant as Harmon/Crowton/that whole apologist gang would tell you.
If Massey ranked UTEP 76th in 1984, I honestly have to wonder about his rankings.