cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #11
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you look like a young Abraham Lincoln. Or should I say, Babe-raham.
More like fat-raham. However I am turning that around as well. I ballooned up when I moved back to the US and since have lost 22lbs. Need another 53 to get back down to 190.

I also now only sport a fledgling goatee since my wife says my wide face makes it work better. Once I slim down I may very well go back to the chin curtain.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

you look like you could be a thespian. your avatar reminds me of Goatnapper's foray into the acting world.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
DJRoss

Default Hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Did you get in trouble on CB for your facial hair?

*rimshot*

Daughters are cool. I have two myself.

Wouldn't that be funny. I never attended BYU (wife got homesick before I had the chance to attend my first term), so I have no personal experience with the honor code in regards to facial hair. Of course the hen house doesn't seem to have a no facial hair policy, of course if I were to post my image on their board it may cause them to become annoyed.

I normally would be clean shaven, but my wife actually likes it, and so since it does not bother me, I think why not if it pleases her.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss View Post
Wouldn't that be funny. I never attended BYU (wife got homesick before I had the chance to attend my first term), so I have no personal experience with the honor code in regards to facial hair. Of course the hen house doesn't seem to have a no facial hair policy, of course if I were to post my image on their board it may cause them to become annoyed.

I normally would be clean shaven, but my wife actually likes it, and so since it does not bother me, I think why not if it pleases her.
Where did you live in Europe? I would assume some time in Sweden?

I spent a short time in Suomi and loved the experience. Beautiful area of the world. I wish I had made it to Sweden and Norway.

We buy all our wood hangers from IKEA, fyi....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #15
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss
Yes my years in Europe have impacted my world view and has caused me to suffer from some serious reverse cultural shock upon moving back to the US, especially in areas of Food, Education, Politics, The meaning of Nudity, Pop Culture, Music, LDS Gospel vs. LDS Culture, Banking and Finance, and of course Cell Phone Technology.
I recommend against being too friendly to me, as that will not earn you any popularity points here, but this part of your post intrigued me.

What about cell phone technology is different in Europe? And what about music? I was under the impression a lot of American music is popular over there... much more so than European music is here, at least.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #16
DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you look like you could be a thespian. your avatar reminds me of Goatnapper's foray into the acting world.

Not that I was performing there. It was my sister in laws wedding. I have spent much time on stage performing in musicals, bands, solos. Had an eclectic musical life from Pavarotti to Punk. Don't do much anymore, but my daughter has the gift, and she is already tugging at the reigns to get into the limelight.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #17
DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Where did you live in Europe? I would assume some time in Sweden?

I spent a short time in Suomi and loved the experience. Beautiful area of the world. I wish I had made it to Sweden and Norway.

We buy all our wood hangers from IKEA, fyi....
I served an LDS mission in Sweden and in Finland, got married in Manti, Utah and than moved back to Sweden to live for a year, moved back to the US to live in Arizona, joined the military and than was stationed in Bavaria, Germany. Finished my tour of duty and than moved back to Sweden which was December of 1993.

It is a beautiful place to live. I will upload some pics and show them some time.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #18
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I And what about music? I was under the impression a lot of American music is popular over there... much more so than European music is here, at least.
Perhaps he missed this thread recently. Otherwise he would have chimed in long ago.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...highlight=hoff

The Hoff is huge in Euroland.

BTW, what does this thread have to do with football?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #19
DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I recommend against being too friendly to me, as that will not earn you any popularity points here, but this part of your post intrigued me.

What about cell phone technology is different in Europe? And what about music? I was under the impression a lot of American music is popular over there... much more so than European music is here, at least.

Sweden has the third largest pop music industry in the world. For a country of only 10 million people it has almost surpassed Great Britain as the number two. The music there is much different, and having gotten used to it, I find myself much more comfortable listening to The Hives, Teddybears, Kent, etc than I do any of their US contemporaries.

Cell phone technology, I lived about a five minutes bike ride (yes we sold our car when we moved to Lund and rode bikes everywhere, even ten miles one way to church on Sundays. If the rain or snow was really bad during winter we would take the bus) from SonyEricsson's headquarters.

Sweden is 3 or more years ahead of the US in cell phone tech, implementation and where it really counts, network technology. Sweden has always been at the forefront of telephony. By 1885 they had more phones in Stockholm than in London, and the phone company was handling over 18 thousand calls a day.

My cell phone is over three years old, and before I left Sweden it was connected to the TRE (3G) network there and had video to video calling capabilities. If I wanted to see you face to face while talking I could over two years ago. Apples I-phone just launched a few months ago now is testing this technology.

The networks here are terrible, and the amount of wifi friendly areas are also still very limited. This really was a huge hurdle for me and my teenage boys. We got so used to being connected everywhere we were that it was a shock to come back to the states and feel like we entered a small time warp. My sons were laughing last year when they saw commercials advertising dial up on TV.

I was watching TV on my cell phone over two years ago. I was paying bills from my cell phone while on a buss. I could ACH transfer money from my account to any of my friends with the push of a few buttons even though I was out camping in the woods with my family.

I mean when I went to the BYU games last season, I had my phone with me and my hands free so I could listen to KSL on my old beat up phone while watching the game.

Just click on the links on SE's main site. Yes it is Swedish, but click around and see what isn't sold in this country. SonyEricsson Sweden

Old 10-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss View Post
Sweden has the third largest pop music industry in the world. For a country of only 10 million people it has almost surpassed Great Britain as the number two. The music there is much different, and having gotten used to it, I find myself much more comfortable listening to The Hives, Teddybears, Kent, etc than I do any of their US contemporaries.

Cell phone technology, I lived about a five minutes bike ride (yes we sold our car when we moved to Lund and rode bikes everywhere, even ten miles one way to church on Sundays. If the rain or snow was really bad during winter we would take the bus) from SonyEricsson's headquarters.

Sweden is 3 or more years ahead of the US in cell phone tech, implementation and where it really counts, network technology. Sweden has always been at the forefront of telephony. By 1885 they had more phones in Stockholm than in London, and the phone company was handling over 18 thousand calls a day.

My cell phone is over three years old, and before I left Sweden it was connected to the TRE (3G) network there and had video to video calling capabilities. If I wanted to see you face to face while talking I could over two years ago. Apples I-phone just launched a few months ago now is testing this technology.

The networks here are terrible, and the amount of wifi friendly areas are also still very limited. This really was a huge hurdle for me and my teenage boys. We got so used to being connected everywhere we were that it was a shock to come back to the states and feel like we entered a small time warp. My sons were laughing last year when they saw commercials advertising dial up on TV.

I was watching TV on my cell phone over two years ago. I was paying bills from my cell phone while on a buss. I could ACH transfer money from my account to any of my friends with the push of a few buttons even though I was out camping in the woods with my family.

I mean when I went to the BYU games last season, I had my phone with me and my hands free so I could listen to KSL on my old beat up phone while watching the game.

Just click on the links on SE's main site. Yes it is Swedish, but click around and see what isn't sold in this country. SonyEricsson Sweden
First, The Hives' Two Timing Touch and broken Bones....love that tune.

second, I follow telecom with great interest and get a big kick out of those here in the US that talk about our 3G networks....as though they existed and were fully operational. what a joke. Europe and Asia are light years ahead of us in terms of technology.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote