cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

DJ, how can we expect to lead when we have people that want to play div 1aa and conference USA for OOC?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #32
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss View Post
Romney has at least this going for him. He realizes that the US is falling behind where it counts, and he not only wants to compete, he wants to get the US back on top. So do I, which is why I do what I do for a living. I am tired of richest country in the world acting like it is a trailer trash wife looking for coupon deals for breakfast candy at Walmart. We need to get back to leading by our example which should be one of progress.
I agree completely and that's a major reason I'm a big Romney fan. Looks like he's doing pretty well so far...
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #33
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome DJ. Back in the day when I spent more time at the "henhouse" I always enjoyed your conisdered football posts. Look forward to more of the same here.

Some advice: whatever you do, don't make friends with Lingo. IN fact, dont' even treat him nicely. His whole personality sort of depends on the whole martyr thing, so you will actually be doing him a favor by treating him like dirt. Really. That's the only reason the rest of us do it. This should save you some time.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #34
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
That will not happen for a LONG time. The cost to outfit towers for 3G is prohibitive right now. besides, since the US, as a whole, in unaware what a real 3G network is, they are happy paying premiums for connection speeds that EVDO and EDGE offer.

I dont mind not being able to watch TV on my phone, as I dont care about that. but i do get a kick out of folks who think we have the true 3G capabilities that exist elsewhere.
For me it was about conferencing while on the move. Since I didn't drive that much, I could with my laptop and cell phone get about an hours worth of work done a day before arriving to a meeting. I would have to travel up to Stockholm on occasion and it would take about 3.5 hours by supertrain and during that time I would be conferencing, sending powerpoints, pdfs and other files back and forth via my phone. Hook my phone up to my laptop and make any corrections necessary. If someone were in their office at the time they would just send it over to my laptop through the network.

It was also nice to have the phone connected to the car, and if we were in Denmark lets say and wanted to eat sushi, we could tie into the 3G GPS system and it would automatically locate the nearest sushi bars give us options based on their ratings and provide directions once we selected which place we wanted to go.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #35
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
DJ, how can we expect to lead when we have people that want to play div 1aa and conference USA for OOC?
Or, people who do this in their spare time?

"Club Med."

Classic.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #36
DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Hey I only agreed to play those two teams since BYU had already lost two games. It ain't sexy, but it compared to all other programs scheduling, it is respectable in that context. Now if BYU was currently undefeated, bring on Nebraska and USC. You betcha.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #37
DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Welcome DJ. Back in the day when I spent more time at the "henhouse" I always enjoyed your conisdered football posts. Look forward to more of the same here.

Some advice: whatever you do, don't make friends with Lingo. IN fact, dont' even treat him nicely. His whole personality sort of depends on the whole martyr thing, so you will actually be doing him a favor by treating him like dirt. Really. That's the only reason the rest of us do it. This should save you some time.

He said something similar. I guess I will get the joke over time. Unless this is not a joke. what is that Vinnie Barbarino line in Welcome Back Kotter? Oh yeah..."I'm so confused!"

Old 10-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #38
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sweden has the third largest pop music industry in the world. For a country of only 10 million people it has almost surpassed Great Britain as the number two. The music there is much different, and having gotten used to it, I find myself much more comfortable listening to The Hives, Teddybears, Kent, etc than I do any of their US contemporaries.

Cell phone technology, I lived about a five minutes bike ride (yes we sold our car when we moved to Lund and rode bikes everywhere, even ten miles one way to church on Sundays. If the rain or snow was really bad during winter we would take the bus) from SonyEricsson's headquarters.

Sweden is 3 or more years ahead of the US in cell phone tech, implementation and where it really counts, network technology. Sweden has always been at the forefront of telephony. By 1885 they had more phones in Stockholm than in London, and the phone company was handling over 18 thousand calls a day.

My cell phone is over three years old, and before I left Sweden it was connected to the TRE (3G) network there and had video to video calling capabilities. If I wanted to see you face to face while talking I could over two years ago. Apples I-phone just launched a few months ago now is testing this technology.

The networks here are terrible, and the amount of wifi friendly areas are also still very limited. This really was a huge hurdle for me and my teenage boys. We got so used to being connected everywhere we were that it was a shock to come back to the states and feel like we entered a small time warp. My sons were laughing last year when they saw commercials advertising dial up on TV.

I was watching TV on my cell phone over two years ago. I was paying bills from my cell phone while on a buss. I could ACH transfer money from my account to any of my friends with the push of a few buttons even though I was out camping in the woods with my family.

I mean when I went to the BYU games last season, I had my phone with me and my hands free so I could listen to KSL on my old beat up phone while watching the game.

Just click on the links on SE's main site. Yes it is Swedish, but click around and see what isn't sold in this country. SonyEricsson Sweden
I parrot this sentiment ... The US is far behind in regards to internet and cell phone technology ... sorry yanks, but yer woefully behind the times
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #39
DJRoss

Well I have to get back to work before picking up the ratpack. But I thought I would leave you with a nice image that tugs a bit at my heartstrings.

This is one of the many beaches in Southern Sweden. This image was most likely taken during a summer evening at around 10 pm. The water usually at this time of year during this late hour is about 72 degrees warm and makes for a wonderful evening dip before calling it quits for the evening. My wife and I would often take an evening dip during the summers. Not too crowded and quite relaxing as you watch seagulls flying lazily by looking for a roost for the their nightly slumber.

Last edited by DJRoss; 10-23-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #40
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He said something similar. I guess I will get the joke over time. Unless this is not a joke. what is that Vinnie Barbarino line in Welcome Back Kotter? Oh yeah..."I'm so confused!"

I was just trying (without success apparently) to make fun of him for being such a winy martyr about it. I think if he didn't make this sort of comment from time to time, no one would think it was an issue.

Sorry Lingo, just being all call it like I see it Rocky on you here.