cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #41
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Employment law generally includes at least one unsophisticated party so it is vastly different than M&A work or key employee work.
That makes complete sense - most of the stuff I've done is in context with M&A transactions and revolves around key employees. I usually just call up the employment people and make them deal with those issues.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #42
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
i am curious, does anybody know what bronco's salary is?
From DESNEWS article:
A Web site that tracks coaching salaries has Mendenhall a close second, a figure ($900,000) the BYU coach has publicly said is "inaccurate." Because BYU and TCU are private schools, details of their contracts are not public information.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #43
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I admit I wanted Kyle. So did most of CB. A poll at the time had KW favored over Bronco at least 3:1. Right now it's hard to find guys admitting they wanted KW, so most everybody's lying about it, IMHO.

I'm glad we have Bronco, but I wouldn't say that after 2.75 seasons, you could say who's done the better coaching job, or whether or not KW would've done better at BYU.

KW's done an incredible job with in-state/LDS recruiting, challenging BYU for the top guys consistently for the first time ever.

Head to head: edge to KW. 2005 coaching job: edge to KW. 2006 coaching job: edge to Bronco. 2007 coaching job: wash so far, let's see how it turns out.

Some ways I'm NOT going to evaluate the two coaches on is:

who is a better fireside speaker
who is more "classy"
who is morally superior
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #44
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...html?id=998113

Basically, essentially no one was that excited about the Bronco hire initially.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...html?id=997054
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...html?id=999196
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #45
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
That makes complete sense - most of the stuff I've done is in context with M&A transactions and revolves around key employees. I usually just call up the employment people and make them deal with those issues.
A couple comments (generally, not to you specifically). First, I don't think that a head football coaching job at a major university has an analogy to anything any of us do unless we negotiate contracts for head football coaches at major universities. I just don't think there is really an analog to this.

Second, this is a personal services contract, right? So forget about the proof issues for a second and assume that you have some kind of parol agreement. When KW renigs on it, what part of the agreement can BYU enforce? The only thing I can think of is a non-compete which would keep him from coaching at a MWC school unless he has already been paid.

So I guess my question to K-dog is, when you say the terms of the contract were agreed to did you include a non-compete in that? If you didn't, since your obviously not talking about a contract that can be specifically enforced (13th amendment and all), aren't you missing a material term and hence no mutual assent?

Last, if the parties go off to draw up a writing to reflect the deal, I would say that is pretty good evidence that the deal isn't complete. For example when I call opposing counsel and ask him to extend the discovery deadline, I follow it up with a letter which says "hey just confirming here is what we agree to." The agreement is complete. If I don't send the letter, the agreement is still complete.

But I have negotiated many, many things where the material terms are thought to be in place and the deal breaks down or nearly breaks down over what I think is minutia. If BYU sues KW on the parol agreement, I'm arguing that the negotiations are nothing more than an agreement to agree. Everyone involved contemplates that this deal is put in writing and not done until signed.

Now if you are making a moral argument that KW shouldn't conduct hardball negotiations with the church, then I guess I can at least see it even if I can't agree with it. I would say that if you are going to play a big boys game you can't cry when you get roughed up a little. In the end, as many have said, each school probably walked away with the best coach for them.

Sorry for the long ramble.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #46
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Kryle as BYU coach instead of Bronco?

Kryle is a total jackass. His post game comments are just hilarious. Yeah, way to go Kryle! You really showed Joe Glenn how to be accountable for some comments he makes at a freaking school pep rally! LOL
I wanted Kyle. By all objective measures, he was the best realistic candidate available. I "hate" Kyle because he spurned BYU for our rival, but if it wasn't for that, I'd like him. Sure he's a dickhead at times, but he's passionate about the game and he's a good coach.

And I'm glad Bronco is BYU's coach.

Last edited by Venkman; 11-12-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:41 PM   #47
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
Do you?

I've been involved with some, but only as it relates to larger deals in general. The general point remains, though: until it's in writing, I don't consider the deal done, and therefore I have no problem with Kyle walking out for more money. He's self-interested, and if you (a generic you - not you personally) don't allow for that in negotiations when another offer comes up and before you have his signature, you're not being realistic. I do not deny that his actions had at least the potential for bad blood, although I don't know if any exists or not.
I do work in job recruiting.

In fact it's very unethical and in many cases, in many industries can end up resulting in said flake being black balled if he goes back on agreed to terms.

Also when it looked like Kyle had agreed to terms with BYU, Bronco had already lined up to head to UNLV to be Sanford's Defensive Coordinator.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #48
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I do work in job recruiting.

In fact it's very unethical and in many cases, in many industries can end up resulting in said flake being black balled if he goes back on agreed to terms.

Also when it looked like Kyle had agreed to terms with BYU, Bronco had already lined up to head to UNLV to be Sanford's Defensive Coordinator.
I'm with you, although the contract might not be binding it is still considered unethical and very bad form to reneg on agreed terms.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #49
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I'm with you, although the contract might not be binding it is still considered unethical and very bad form to reneg on agreed terms.
but (generally speaking), what if you can't come to an agreement on other terms - certainly you aren't implying that the parties should still be bound by the agreed upon terms just because it is the ethical thing to do.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #50
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Sorry I don't buy the info from this thread.

I don't trust the "inside" info about Kyle and the contract.

There's a big difference between "agree in principle waiting to think about it or pray about it or run it by my wife" and "I've read the contract everything's perfect, I've made my decision and committed to it, fax it over and I'll sign".

I don't care who says they know what happens. I wouldn't care if Holmoe told me face to face or if KW told me face to face. Everyone fudges this kind of information to make themselves more sympathetic.

Don't believe "inside info". You're probably getting manipulated by it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote