cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #21
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
is BYU vs. Utah even considered one of the top 20 most important rivalry games in the country?

A rivalry game for BYU in Utah in the MWC is, as is quoted in the best movie ever, "the sideshow of a sideshow".
Tickets have been exchanged for $150 a piece. You could get into other MWC games for $5.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up watching a 100 foot bonfire that singed hair 200 feet away from the fire, with an outhouse on top that said "t.u."

Utah? Hard to get worked up about. More like an aggravating barnacle on the hull.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #23
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
is BYU vs. Utah even considered one of the top 20 most important rivalry games in the country?

A rivalry game for BYU in Utah in the MWC is, as is quoted in the best movie ever, "the sideshow of a sideshow".
2 years ago it ranked in the Wall Street Journal's top 10 rivalries in the country.

Yes it was the Wall Street Journal, but they don't have ties to the BCS (well, this was before Murdoch).
Old 11-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Tickets have been exchanged for $150 a piece. You could get into other MWC games for $5.
http://tickets.search.ebay.com/A-M_T...Q26MQQtrgZQ2d1

$40 for just a parking pass.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-E-Parking-Pa...QQcmdZViewItem

versus

http://tickets.search.ebay.com/byu-u...40QQsacatZ1305
Old 11-19-2007, 10:16 PM   #25
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I grew up in California and was a die hard BYU fan. Holiday Bowl every year, saturday afternoon games either at the Stake Center or picking up KSL over some sideband radio my old man bought. Never honestly knew about a rivalry with Utah. True there wasn't much of a rivalry then but I knew nobody who was a Ute fan.

In 1994 my hometeaching comp was a short fat kid from Viewmont High who was a diehard Ute fan. My first exposure to rivalry smack was on the LDS Institute web board for the West Point Branch. Still I was a few months removed from my mission and really had yet to recapture that competitive spirit and love of intercollegiate sports. 1996 when both Army and BYU had great years brought back all those memories and I was once again hooked. But still even while realizing that Utah had become a decent program, it was not really a rivalry as I knew no Ute fans and thought the 3 year run of wins was a fluke and that '96 set order back to the Universe.

Fast forward to 1998, I always loved Rick Majerus. Loved how he ran his program and loved the toughnosed style of play. In 1998 Utah made their great run to the NC game. I loved it. I rooted for the Utes and even bought myself a Ute hat. Clearly, I would still love for BYU hoops to beat them, but I liked their style of play and loved Big Rick.

I continue to follow BYU from a far in Louisiana until 2000 - when I got my first dial up internet account. Then I discovered these boards. Then I discovered not only a rivalry, but the fact that it makes people act like total assholes. While I still love Majerus it became impossible for me to continue to like Utah anything once I discovered how much many of them hated, and I mean HATED, all things BYU. So yes in time I developed my own distaste for Utenation as a consequence.

However, without the internet I don't know how much I would understand the nature of the rivalry. Without living in Utah I have had so little exposure until I found the addiction of sports message boards on the world wide web.

PS I still have the hat if a Ute wants it.
Looking at ancient history, the games weren't that competitive. But the close games and the wild finishes over the last ten years or so have been terrific. How could you be a BYU fan and not get up for this game? It's the best league game of the year. By a mile.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
2 years ago it ranked in the Wall Street Journal's top 10 rivalries in the country.

Yes it was the Wall Street Journal, but they don't have ties to the BCS (well, this was before Murdoch).
I have seen it show up in national top-ten rivalry lists several times.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The earliest BYU vs. Utah game I can immediately recall is 2000.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #28
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

When you grow up around the rivarly it's different.

The same can be said for any rivalry.

For the time I lived in Mesa ASU vs. UofA was the big rivalry...and it was my experience, but it seemed tame compared to the vitriol of the Utah/BYU rivalry.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #29
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

That is the most idiotic statement EVER made on this board.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
That is the most idiotic statement EVER made on this board.
difference between a regional and national BYU fan.

which also mirrors opinions about the mtn. regional fans are happy.