cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #41
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Waters isn't even talking about the rivalry. He's just saying that the state of Utah is nothing next to Texas for football.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:11 PM   #42
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Waters isn't even talking about the rivalry. He's just saying that the state of Utah is nothing next to Texas for football.
Sure. And NFL football is at a much higher level of competition than college football. And NASCAR is bigger than both in some areas. What's your point?
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:48 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You know how Utah State really hates BYU, but BYU doesn't really care about Utah State? That's how Utah is as well. UofU is full of Utahns. BYU is full of non-Utahns who don't know or care about UoU.

Like Oklahoma State's big rivalry game is against Oklahoma. But OU's big game is against T.U.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #44
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And the state of Ohio would say that the state of Texas is nothing for football. And the state of Pennsylvania would say that the state of Ohio is nothing for football. And the state of Florida would say that the state of Pennsylvania is nothing for football. And the state of California would say that the state of Florida is nothing for football. So on and so forth.

What a stupidass argument. Good lord do I hate the regional myopia inflicting sports fans. I am surprised Waters can't see past his own backyard.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 AM   #45
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You know how Utah State really hates BYU, but BYU doesn't really care about Utah State? That's how Utah is as well. UofU is full of Utahns. BYU is full of non-Utahns who don't know or care about UoU.
Which is crazy, given how Utah has won the majority of games against BYU in the last 10-15 years. Any fans that don't care about a team that beats you more consistently than any other team are dumb asses.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:01 AM   #46
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Which is crazy, given how Utah has won the majority of games against BYU in the last 10-15 years. Any fans that don't care about a team that beats you more consistently than any other team are dumb asses.
If I really considered Utah a hated rival, I would follow them very closely. I would delight in watching them lose.

The fact is I don't follow them, and I don't really care if they lose or not.

However, I follow t.u. very closely, and watching t.u. lose is better than watching A&M win.

Hatred of a school must be something that has to be ingrained at a young age. It's hard to suddenly get furious about a school when you are old.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:12 AM   #47
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I grew up watching a 100 foot bonfire that singed hair 200 feet away from the fire, with an outhouse on top that said "t.u."

Utah? Hard to get worked up about. More like an aggravating barnacle on the hull.
I had never heard of the Aggies bonfire until 1999.

Aside from a very few rivalries such as OSU/Michigan, USC/ND, Army/Navy, all rivalries are regional that hardly anyone has heard about or even cares about.

But any warm-blooded, former BYU or Utah student from the past 2 decades is certainly aware of the rivalry, and if they contain even a nanoliter of testosterone in their body, should have at least some emotional investment in it.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:20 AM   #48
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
If I really considered Utah a hated rival, I would follow them very closely. I would delight in watching them lose.

The fact is I don't follow them, and I don't really care if they lose or not.

However, I follow t.u. very closely, and watching t.u. lose is better than watching A&M win.

Hatred of a school must be something that has to be ingrained at a young age. It's hard to suddenly get furious about a school when you are old.
Aha. So you define a rivalry in terms of level of hatred. Now I am starting to understand you.

I feel much the same way SU does, as stated at the beginning of the thread. I can honestly say that I don't know a single Ute fan on a personal level that I don't like. So I don't define this in terms of hatred, nor do I rejoice when the Utes lose. But given all of the history and tradition between the two schools, there is no other team I would rather see us beat. It's a game that I care about more than any other on BYU's schedule.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:30 AM   #49
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Aha. So you define a rivalry in terms of level of hatred. Now I am starting to understand you.

I feel much the same way SU does, as stated at the beginning of the thread. I can honestly say that I don't know a single Ute fan on a personal level that I don't like. So I don't define this in terms of hatred, nor do I rejoice when the Utes lose. But given all of the history and tradition between the two schools, there is no other team I would rather see us beat. It's a game that I care about more than any other on BYU's schedule.
Ha, now you are the one that doesn't understand rivalries.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:05 AM   #50
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Does Texas even give a rats ass about aTm? I am sure Oklahoma is a much bigger rival. aTm is like Utah st. to BYU. Texas doesnt care about the little guys that never give them a game.