cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
When Collie caught the long bomb on 4th and 18 and when Harvey took it in for the touchdown, I was going crazy screaming and overcome with joy and happiness.

It was the last thing I was thinking of during that moment, but now a day later, people like Funk and Seattle experiencing serious spiritual torture over hating and losing to what they both know is the Lord's church's university's football team is just an added bonus.
So, you find joy in other's suffering?

WWJD?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:20 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
So, you find joy in other's suffering?

WWJD?
Yes. that is why the only time I read utefans is when we beat the utes.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:22 PM   #23
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

My view is that BYU is the LDS church's university and so there are plenty of things that it does or that happen there that can easily be extrapolated to "the church." In my opinion, the comments of one kid after a football game are not in that category. For crying out loud, the church can't always keep its thumb on what general authorities say. We warn that the prophet doesn't always speak as a prophet. So trying to divine something about the church from the single comment of a player (even if he meant what was suggested) is a stretch, IMO.

Last edited by UtahDan; 11-25-2007 at 11:26 PM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:23 PM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
My view is that BYU is the LDS church's university and so there are plenty of things that it does or that happen there that can easily extrapolated to "the church." In my opinion, the comments of one kid after a football game are not in that category. For crying out loud, the church can't always keep its thumb on what general authorities say. We warn that the prophet doesn't always speak as a prophet. So trying to divine something about the church from the single comment of a player (even if he meant what was suggested) is a strech, IMO.
Agree completely.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes. that is why the only time I read utefans is when we beat the utes.
I have no problem with that at all. Like me, you're a weasel.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Do you have the Collie quote where he mentions God? I've looked and haven't seen it. I'm interested in seeing what he said.
It's not a big deal to me, but here it is in his own voice from The Fan's website. He does indeed mention the Lord:

http://www.thefansports.com/blog/1/c...llie%20god.mp3

mp - don't click the link, my friend. You don't need the aggravation.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:51 AM   #27
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
And you think that they were 100% serious with you? This is no different than the guy who brought my dad a plastic knife to church and told him he could use it to slit his wrists when Utah beat BYU this year.

As a kid I had teachers give me crap about being a BYU fan, it didn't get to me. It doesn't mean it's in the right but seriously, if you are STILL harboring ill feelings because of that, it's time to let it go.

Sizzle I can tell the difference when someone is serious and someone is joking. People joked with me all the time about this stuff, and I would joke back with them. The problem is that a minority in that group were serious. If you don't think this exists, I can show you plenty of examples online of dickheads you say it is wrong to root against BYU. Here is one example, I can pull a lot more.
http://www.utefans.net/message.php?i...#message531900
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:15 AM   #28
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Sizzle I can tell the difference when someone is serious and someone is joking. People joked with me all the time about this stuff, and I would joke back with them. The problem is that a minority in that group were serious. If you don't think this exists, I can show you plenty of examples online of dickheads you say it is wrong to root against BYU. Here is one example, I can pull a lot more.
http://www.utefans.net/message.php?i...#message531900
Why do you let this stuff bother you? Seems like a lot of energy spent on something kind of trivial. Let's say this guy is legit, then so what. That he would feel this way has very little impact on the rest of us.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:58 AM   #29
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It was the last thing I was thinking of during that moment, but now a day later, people like Funk and Seattle experiencing serious spiritual torture over hating and losing to what they both know is the Lord's church's university's football team is just an added bonus.
It's just another university to me.
[trying to parse all those apostrophes....]
Old 11-26-2007, 06:22 AM   #30
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Nice. And il's vulgarity posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Because you are an example of a f...ing Mormon. Others Mormons are plain old' Mormons.
continue. Ever read what Pres. Hinckley has said about vulgarity and profanity? But then I guess it doesn't apply because you aren't a member of the Church. Or if you are, you are a piss poor example of what the Church represents. Unless of course, you think the prophet is up in the night.

You may guess if I think I am self righteous. However, your documented posts leave no ambiguity of the kind of person you are. Well done.